View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Free the H-1Bs, Free the Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha View Post
well most H1Bs I know of buy homes usually when they have their green card process started. once your i140 is approved and you think you have a dependable employer (or your spouse is working too), i don't think there is anything wrong with buying a home. for the same money that you spend every month on your rent, you can get a home almost twice the size of an apt. if i look back at my stay in the united states now, i feel i have lost so much money on rent. not much changed as far as employment went and not much will change either but only because i was on an H1b, I felt my stay in this country was temporary. im glad that we bought a home finally. the pride of ownership is simply awesome.

with interest rates at historic lows and home prices hitting rock bottom, there is no better time to invest in a home than now. my 2c
Lucky that you have not been in Bay Area. Here even a double income family has to stretch a lot to get a good home. Its so sad that despite being California - a very rich state - and Bay Area - so full of technically skilled and intelligent people - the schools suck. So people all flock to certain zip codes in Bay Area for sake of a good school. Then the real estate prices go real high here. Despite the downturn, the prices in places like Cupertino, which boasts the best schools, has the most expensive homes. The homes themselves are not spectacular mansions but the schools make the prices very high.

I can understand places outside Bay Area where you can get a decent home for a realistic price. But Bay Area is pathetic where it comes to the housing market.