View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM
En route Lal Mirchi...

chacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Free the H-1Bs, Free the Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiBaba View Post
happy for you that you have had a stable job all through your career and everything happened as planned

terms like dependable employer, stable job, smooth GC process are now distant dreams..imagine a scenario where such things do not go as planned or expected and the havoc in can then wreak in ones life..but let me not launch myself into explaining all this..everyone is blessed with his or her own destiny..

but yes, completely agree with your last line..this is the best time to buy..
rightly said baba. you can either pick immigration or you can pick a career in this country. people who get both are the lucky ones. the day i got a job on my h1, i realized how temporary our stay could be in this country. it was a fulltime position and every time we complained about something, asked for a raise, didn't show up over the weekend, the employer threatened to fire us. a year later, i resigned and took up a consulting position. my thinking was, i will never have to worry again about immigration. and touchwood, i have not had to worry about it for the last 5 years. clients come and go, projects get over, you travel to every nook and corner of the country but at the end of the day, you can sleep peacefully.

i know a lot of friends who took full time positions thinking they were gonna make the best careers in the best companies. they are all regretting their decisions now. many employers have started to cut budgets and are right-sizing teams and you never know when the axe is gonna land on you. worse, nobody wants to do any new H1s anymore. i spoke to an immigration lawyer last month. she said there have been absolutely no employment-based GC petitions through her firm this year. companies don't want to spend nor do they like the uncertainty associated with an immigrant employee.