View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance (India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
You will say this fukker is stories galore but what the heck another true story.

During my PG i.e 1987 thru 90, my father had retired so I took up a job at a maruti service center to help with expenses.. The job was easy I had to drive the cars for servicing up and down a ramp and that was it.. gave me time to study so no issues.. gave me 450 rs a month which as quite ok something better than nothing.. covered my BD expenses and the rest was for home..

That time there was only one Insurance company forget its name.. United Insu or New India Insu.. does not matter.. they were sort of quasi govt.. so fixed prem and such.. So all you needed was a person willing to go hand in glove with you and a maruti service center owner/manager..

This is what would happen and I was witness to this many a times. The maruti guys would have broken windshield, windows, rear windshield all glass pieces from some earlier accident, broken headlights, tail lights, dented doors, hoods, radiator (anything that will show up in a photo graph) all scraped as if ready for dent-fix/repaint saved up. It was well practiced and choreographed song and dance routine.

A car comes in in perfect condition. Its doors, hoods will be replaced with the dented ones, the windshields removed and mud and soot smeared on the car.. then it would be kept outside for some days to accumulate dust.. the steering will be removed and a broken one installed.. the shards will be sprinkled all over the seats, on the hood on the ground (mind you it is IN THE SHOWROOM and not at the supposed accident scene no shards should be on the ground!!) to recreate the accident scene. The photographer guy from insu. co. would be directing the shenanigans.. take a picture from one angle.. sweep up the shards spread it so they showup in another angle.. repeat.. it is taken from all 4 sides. No one seemed to question the even spread of shards..afterall the car was supposedly hit from ONE direction.. how come the shards spread around it evenly? Anyways the photo is taken.. job done. The showroom will prepare an estimate.. replacement of windshield, steering, windows, denting, painting, headlights, tail lights, burnt off rubber wheels (yes pre-installed for photo shoot).. thats it.. over 10-15K damage/parts.. denting painting and servicing costs boost up another few Ks.. that done, the original car is restored and given a good servicing and gone..

Tne insurance co. pays up.. thanks to the participating dude in the company. all split up the money in agreed proportion.. meet up for drinks and plan the next imaginary accident.. can't do the same one again and again right?

That is how it worked.. but with private insures, all those things don't work..
All because labor is cheap.

Cheap labor? Naaah.....FREE Labor in India. That is why it works. Otherwise the time spent in choreographing this dance routine is more expensive than the parts itself in the USA.