View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2011, 10:52 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why Mumbai never got an underground metro

Jeet bhai, Delhi has also enjoyed a very liberal spending by the central govt on it. The funds it gets are comparable to larger states (e.g. long back it got 800 crore as compared to 1400 crore for AP).

I am not aware of how much revenue is generated from Delhi, but in case of Mumbai, a good part of the taxes collected are spent elsewhere .

From what i hear, it was a very clean city in the 60s with all the good roads, but during Indira G's rule, a lot changed.

Almost all the infrasructure till 90s was British Legacy.

In general, Mumbai represented Capitalism - something that old generation cngressis did not like. Hence the step motherly treatment..

Now any way, it is just the financial centre - Mills have closed down. The IT industry is in South annd manufacturing has moved elsewhere. Other cities are growing much faster and probably there is a good revenue generated from Delhi also now.

When i was staying in Delhi in 90s what it lacked was a good number of Bars. But guess in Sheila Dixit's rule, a lot have opened up.