eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old February 2nd, 2001, 12:10 PM
Third Echelon

padhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to all
Cool Problems Faced By H1 Visa Holders

I have come across this very sad case of a neighbour of mine who is here on the so called H1 visa. This guy i consider is brilliant as he had done his MCA from VJTI (Bombay) and MBA from Jamnalal Bajaj, plus he has got some tons of certifications. Rahul used to work for some large IT company in bombay where he used to work as a Project Manager. He came here on an H1 visa for some company in DC.

Ever since he has come here, things have changed for him. First of all the company promised him the same designation, but out here they made him nothing more than a normal programmer. Plus he was promised this job in DC and they make him go every 3 months from some city to another. His salry is not more than 45K and he was sent for 6 months to LA. I can well imagine what the poor guy must been living like on that kind of a salary.

His company now wants to send him for some training course for some subject for which they are making him sign a bond for 2 years or pay Twenty thousand dollars if he leaves before that period. The poor guy is in a bad state. I cant even tell him to go for a legal advise as according to him he has no money too to pay the atourney fees. But the worse thing is that he says this happens all the time and there are atleast twenty more in his company itself who are in the same situation.

I know for a fact that bonds are not legal in the US. But i dont know whats written in his papers. I have asked him to get me a copy of the bond so that i can show it so some legal people in my office.Is there some organisation out there that can help these h1 people.

I know most of our echarchans are also working here on h1 visa. Are you guys also facing the same problems that these guys are going through. If so then we need to do something about this.
Old February 2nd, 2001, 12:37 PM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
Padhu,

I am on H1b but do not have anything like this bond thing happen to me.

All I can tell you is that the company must have signed a bond in India not USA (as bonds are illegal here). So poor guy if he runs away from USA to India, he is in a big soup. Yes, he can change companies in USA - NO FEAR!
But going back to India is the problem. Who knows what the company might do to him if he is in India? Depends on how the bond is written up.

45K? that's all? for a project manager- from Jamnalal Bajaj + MCA? was that guys desperate to leave India or what?I am sure, he could have struck a much much better deal.
(I am almost half of what he is qualified, but by God's grace, earn twice as much).
but they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Old February 2nd, 2001, 12:48 PM
Third Echelon

padhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to all
Cool reply

hey arya.....

my company is looking for a good web programmer but we have never done h1. Is it very dfficult to obtain for this guy. I need to convince some people in my office that is not a headche to get the filling done as a lot of offices beleive h1 to be a lot of paperwork. Any idea on that?

The moron directly converted that 45000 by 45 bucks and assumed the best. Little does he realise that you just cant multiply the dollar to the indian currency and come to some fantastic figure. I did my mba from S.P.Jain and this year some of these guys got some foreign placements. The college made such a hungama about it that this guy is going to get a starting salary of 75000 dollars and directly showed the figure in lakhs. Dont they realise that such an amout is off no value out here as there is quite a difference in the life styles.

I think these so called consultants have to stop the multiply factor when the come here or they are going to land in such situations.
Old February 2nd, 2001, 12:53 PM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
75000 is a nice pay packet- by any means.

as regards H1, more than a hassle, it is the wait and watch from the INS which gives the headache - meaning you cannot say for sure that everything is OK till you have visa in your hands (typically processing takes from 4~8 weeks).

for more info:
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/se...rinfo/h1b3.htm

Old February 2nd, 2001, 12:59 PM
Third Echelon

Smile reply

aryabhai..i dont mean that 75000 is a bad salary..i mean converting it to INR 3500000 is a bad thing to do especially for an institute. They should know better that you cannot compare.

Thanx for the link.
Old February 2nd, 2001, 03:27 PM
~Haiwan~

gandesh will become famous soon enough
padhu tell ur friend to switch jobs... if he's well qualified n smart he should be able to find another job and since he is on H1 he is allowed to jump jobs... that would be my advice to him...
Old February 2nd, 2001, 03:49 PM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Bad Time

Since this economic slowdown ...jobs are scarce!!.How long do you guys think this slump is going to continue?
Old February 2nd, 2001, 04:06 PM
~Haiwan~

i know jobs are pretty scarce these days... in my view most of dot coms will collapse... there just isn't a need for them... for example amazon.com had started another online store for selling pets... now how stupid is that? i mean who would buy pets online? u need to see and feel a pet before u buy one... as u might have guessed that online store collapsed... similarly many other such dot coms are crap and will collapse... for example, i won't even buy a simple table lamp without seeing it first in real life... also the US economy is predicted to go into a recession from next quarter (Alan Greenspan predicted this so i trust it) ... so my guess is that at least 100,000 dot com jobs would be lost before this shakeup is over... so i guess pretty tought times are ahead... i'm bracing up for simple 2 meals a day pay with a lot of hard work...
Old February 2nd, 2001, 04:50 PM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Scary

The only good thing is that Aurangzeb could lose his job and might have to go back to Pakistan!
Old February 2nd, 2001, 05:41 PM
~Haiwan~

hahahahahahahahaha... now that i think of it that way i'm actually looking forward to the slowdown...
Old February 3rd, 2001, 02:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Randheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond repute
Aurangzeb must loose his job

Yes viking and gandesh,Aurangzeb ust surely loose his job and go back to Pakistan or better Afganistan(Pakistanis)
are nainly converts.
He is a misfit in USA
Old February 5th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Third Echelon

Cool reply

I spoke to a lawyer friend of mine and he tol dme that paperwork to get his file no would take around 20 days so that he can go to another job.

I also checked Rahul's papers and his company has very smartly put it as education reimbursement......stating that he return 25K or stay two years after the training.

The poor guy has to sign it today or loose his job. Tough choice for him but he has no option but to sign it.

I did get him interviewed but its no use as the lawyer says 20 days.

These companies sure do keep H1 visa guys at their mercy.

Maybe we should start a site or something enlightening all the folks coming here on an h1 visa from india as to what they should expect and not be taken into by rosy salary and all other big talk that these people give on the phone.

Sutradhar bhai how about taking some initiative to help our fellow indians?
Old February 8th, 2001, 08:00 AM

Different people make different money. It doesn't always matter what your background is or how skilled you are. The timing is important too.

45K is bad in CA but a number of desi newcomers don't even make that much. I know several people have to sweat out just on allowance until they get a billable project. It is a tough world out there for H1s.
Old February 15th, 2001, 09:30 AM
eCharchan

TheMan is on a distinguished road
Talking difference b/w MS h-1 and india h-1

Friends

I am finishing a MS EE degree in May, like many of my friends. We are all F-1 visa students, so we also have to apply for a h-1 visa.

is this h-1 visa different ? I am asking because I am concerned at all the problems highlighted on this thread (faced) by h-1 visa holders. To my knowledge, in our college, we didn't have anyone who has had this kind of problem and the average salary has been > $70,000. So, I was wondering if this h-1 visa is different ??

Old February 15th, 2001, 11:10 AM

Just last week a cousin landed here to work for a US company in NC. He will be working with oracle manufacturing but not at a client site, but at the company that sposored his H1. The price tag - $77K.

Most H1 harrasments are when someone works for a lesser known or sometimes even well known body shops. The real problem comes when the guy is on-bench (i.e. not generating any revenue). Try looking for a company where you work for the same guy who sponsored your H1.