eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Technology

Notices

Technology Discuss all things technology that dont fit in the Computing forum...

Old September 19th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Post India is over-hyped as an innovation hub

India is over-hyped as an innovation hub

Date: Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bangalore: India is perhaps holding a better position among major IT exporting nations presently, but as far as the innovation of new products is concerned the country is far behind the other largest IT destinations, reports IDG news service.

Sudin Apte, an analyst at Forrester Research, and Vinay Deshpande, a computer developer, said that subsidiaries of most of MNCs do product maintenance and testing and the development of small components of products in India.

"We do not think out new products or architect products in India, we get to do the coding for new products, and are mainly involved in maintenance or making improvements to legacy products," says a software engineer at a multinational vendor of banking software in Bangalore.

Deshpande said, "The situation is a lot better than it was some years ago, but most Indian operations of multinational companies are still far away from defining and architecting products. A lot of the product innovation in the country is coming from small and medium-size Indian companies."

An executive of the Indian subsidiary of a technology company opined that multinational technology companies typically claim in their advertisements and press announcements that they are doing innovative product development in India. That image helps companies attract employees.

For multinational companies, lower cost of staff and the availability of talent are the advantages in establishing offshore development operations in India. "But innovation, which is thinking out a product or having ownership of a product, does not happen at the Indian subsidiaries," said Apte.

"When technology companies have outsourced to Indian companies, they have usually contracted for staff on a time and materials basis, which reflects the kind of work that is getting done in India," he added.
Contradictorily, some of global companies such as Intel and Texas Instruments have started to develop new products in India. For instance, Intel designed the first six core microprocessor at Intel's Bangalore center.
Deshpande further added "Having tried Indian staff on support work with good results, some of the companies are taking the risk of doing product development as well in India."

"Companies having development centers in India will benefit if they start focusing on product innovation. Indian outsourcers will also have to focus more on their capability to deliver product innovation, rather than promote their companies as mere low-cost service providers," Apte concluded.

Link
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: India is over-hyped as an innovation hub

Our IT companies like HCL, Wipro, TCS, InfoSys have focussed and mastered the 'services' model. I find nothing wrong with it, but I do have some other thoughts on this.

Its not wrong to capitalise on the vast services opportunities and make a mark in the global market. However, our services only companies forget that creating products is a equally important area if growth is to be sustained.

I always wonder at small startups in the Silicon Valley who come up with some product, some innovative new service and then make it big. Some of them succeed and many others continue a modest growth path. Why cant our IT service companies invest a small portion of their vast revenues and profits towards such attempts at innovation?

Long ago, and I mean in internet years it was just about a decade ago, the legitimate excuse was that India did not have Venture Capitalists (VCs) and up and coming companies could not diversify into product development. But today, after a decade, I think all our giants TCS, InfoSys, HCL, Satyam have enough money to invest in product development. Not just that, but with their reach into global markets and big international players, they also have a marketing and sales leverage.

Then why dont we see another product like Oracle or MS Office or WebLogic emerging from India? Why dont we see great tools from India which go hand in hand with established products like SAP and Oracle and WebLogic or such?

Is it in our attitude or business upbringing to just be happy with services and not take any risks?
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India is over-hyped as an innovation hub

Cha pai ... the maid service I hire, cleans the house great. They vacuum every inch of carpet, clean every speck of dust and do all this at a phenomenally low rate. However, I dont expect them to invent the next great vacuum cleaner. Or creat the next great furniture polish.

Why is everyone suddenly so concerned about innovation in India?
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Cha pai ... the maid service I hire, cleans the house great. They vacuum every inch of carpet, clean every speck of dust and do all this at a phenomenally low rate. However, I dont expect them to invent the next great vacuum cleaner. Or creat the next great furniture polish.

Mellybhai,

Can you please specify who are these "everyone"?
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Senior eCharchan

Desa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Of course you wouldn't care if maid invents the vacuum cleaner or not. But if the maid wants to progress then she must do all to better herself. Otherwise she would be dependant on you all her life. If you are facing hard time financially, then your maid should be worried about her job as well.
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desa View Post
Of course you wouldn't care if maid invents the vacuum cleaner or not. But if the maid wants to progress then she must do all to better herself. Otherwise she would be dependant on you all her life. If you are facing hard time financially, then your maid should be worried about her job as well.
No - the maid needs to make sure she develops her cleaning skills so efficiently that I wont want to hire anyone else. And I will talk great about her to all my friends and neighbors so she can grow her business.

Listen bro, I understand what you are trying to say. Right now India's strength is being a service industry. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. First establish the service dominance. There are a million third world countries that would sove to even be a service provider. What makes India any better qualified than anyone else to be an innovation center? What makes my maid any better qualified at inventing a vacuum cleaner than my neighbors maid?
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

smelly your example is quite simplistic.

In the IT industry, I am quite sure that there are hundred of small and big tools which help you do more with an established product. For example, you can write reports using the built in Oracle features, but still people use products like Crystal Reports for their reporting needs.

For every established product there are many ancilliary products and services. We have shown our expertise and dominance in the service sector, and all I am expecting us to do is to now make some products and services which help the customer to do more with an established product. I am not saying that we need to invent the next Oracle database, but can we make a complimentary product which makes Oracle do much more? Small steps is all it takes for starting on the path to innovation.

If we dont distinguish ourselves as someone who can not only provide services but innovative solutions then pretty soon the rest of the eastern world, which is vying for those service contracts, will catch up with our services industry and we will be left to just compete on a cost basis.

And I am not asking the Indian IT giants to spend a large percentage of their earnings on product development. Even if 5% is spent on new product development, then I think it will be a good start and will surely yield success.
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
smelly your example is quite simplistic.

In the IT industry, I am quite sure that there are hundred of small and big tools which help you do more with an established product. For example, you can write reports using the built in Oracle features, but still people use products like Crystal Reports for their reporting needs.

For every established product there are many ancilliary products and services. We have shown our expertise and dominance in the service sector, and all I am expecting us to do is to now make some products and services which help the customer to do more with an established product. I am not saying that we need to invent the next Oracle database, but can we make a complimentary product which makes Oracle do much more? Small steps is all it takes for starting on the path to innovation.

If we dont distinguish ourselves as someone who can not only provide services but innovative solutions then pretty soon the rest of the eastern world, which is vying for those service contracts, will catch up with our services industry and we will be left to just compete on a cost basis.

And I am not asking the Indian IT giants to spend a large percentage of their earnings on product development. Even if 5% is spent on new product development, then I think it will be a good start and will surely yield success.

My analogy still holds. As long as the maid mentality remains, nothing will happen. The maid knows that by creating a convenience tool, that will cut down the time she can bill me for cleaning. So even if she could, she wouldnt.

I guess I am looking at it from the customer's standpoint - you are looking at it from the maid's. So my question remains, what makes the Indian IT industry any more capable than the Irish, Russian, Ukrainian, Hungarian or any other -ian IT industry. India's core strength is cheap labor. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Else we will lose that also. If we start to become innovators and our customers start losing business to us, they will take their needs elsewhere.

The next step is not jump to innovation, but to create a domestic market. IT as a business function is largely missing from the Indian business scenario. We clean others houses - but there is not market to clean our own houses.
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
My analogy still holds. As long as the maid mentality remains, nothing will happen. The maid knows that by creating a convenience tool, that will cut down the time she can bill me for cleaning. So even if she could, she wouldnt.

I guess I am looking at it from the customer's standpoint - you are looking at it from the maid's. So my question remains, what makes the Indian IT industry any more capable than the Irish, Russian, Ukrainian, Hungarian or any other -ian IT industry. India's core strength is cheap labor. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Else we will lose that also. If we start to become innovators and our customers start losing business to us, they will take their needs elsewhere.

The next step is not jump to innovation, but to create a domestic market. IT as a business function is largely missing from the Indian business scenario. We clean others houses - but there is not market to clean our own houses.

Our government can be the biggest IT customer, but since our government departments and politicians dont like 'transparency' and 'accountability' I wonder if we will ever adopt full blown IT in our governance. If you computerise, say, the driving license process and maybe it has been already, there exists a chance for integrating it with law enforcement. So that when driving fines are handed out - which never really happens - the offender can be tracked down and fines can be collected. But this will not happen. Private sector in India, other than the IT sector itself, is using more and more of IT, but the market is limited as there is afear that 'over computerisation' will mean job losses.

Anyway, I agree with a lot of what you say, but we surely need to also develop products. If we dont develop products then we should atleast invest in research and development for tomorrow's technologies. NASA does so much research which is not product oriented, but when NASA releases this research into the open, many private companies do utilise it to make products.

Chalo its a Friday, I wont tax my brains or worry too much about this. I just remembered that tomorrow is the weekend when I become the maid and clean my own commode at home
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Well said....

We can not innovate until we stop thinking as providers to US or Europe. We still have that maid mentality of working for others be it co. like Infosys who take projects or offshore location co.s like Cisco. Our country is big enough to have our own market and when we think in that direction people can innovate so much be it IT or any technology since lot of our systems/ infrstructure / tenchnology is so outdated.
Old September 29th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Banned

barbaad admi2 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSainik View Post
Well said....

We can not innovate until we stop thinking as providers to US or Europe. We still have that maid mentality of working for others be it co. like Infosys who take projects or offshore location co.s like Cisco. Our country is big enough to have our own market and when we think in that direction people can innovate so much be it IT or any technology since lot of our systems/ infrstructure / tenchnology is so outdated.
Nope. The reason is most Indians lack the talent to innovate. Live with it.

Tamilians and Kashmiris are two of the exceptions. I mentioned Kashmiris because I read somewhere that unlike the hyped IIT graduates one Kashmiri veterinarian named Mir achieved something (something in mathematics) and Kashmiris haven't got too many opportunities due to terrorism problems.

What is required is evolution of Indian race or drastically fast mutation.

Last edited by barbaad admi2; September 29th, 2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute

The thought process has begun.
I guess, it will take atleast a decade to see some result.
maids keep loosing their jobs whenever the boss sneezes. Sometimes boss likes to screw maid , whenever he is drunk or his wife is out.
Certainly , time to think ! Maid has to do something.
Time to be independent and add some more dignity to her life.

not ashamed to be IDLE !
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious: When was India an innovation hub? And in what respect?