eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old June 11th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Senior eCharchan

ManOfLaMancha is on a distinguished road
Astrology... ahem...

Two prophecies related to Nepal tragedy:

1. Several hundred years ago, a sage, whose vomitted curd a disgusted Nepali king refused to eat, prophesied that the king's dynasty would fall after 10 generations. King Birendra was the 11th generation.

http://www.timesofindia.com/today/12nepl23.htm

2. Astrologers said that if the Prince married before the age of 35, he would kill his close ones. I don't seem to find the link to this news item. But today's news reports claim that the Prince indeed got married on the day of the tragedy to Devyani.

Living in the 21st century I find it hard to believe in astrology. How can stars which are light years away so completely determine the course of one's lives. But several people do. At time of marriages, its pretty common to match the janamkundli.
What do the believers and the non-believers say?
Old June 11th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Astrology.. an intersting aspect of life..

This is what happened I believe.

The great mathematicians in India in olden days (the rishis and munis) were very learned and had discovered a lot of stuff including movement of planets, comets and other thingys in the cosmos. Being religious and with their thoughts not really structured, they resorted to reporting their findings which made them "prophets". Like for instance.. If I said you are gonna have a lunar eclipse on such and such date in future with the accuracy of time too.. you are gonna be amazed.. and when you asked ,me how I knew or figured it out.. I would be unable to explain these cosmic activities to you and the masses (here I am using me as rishi and you as the general masses for strictly analogical purposes. No other reasons at all). These guys suddenly found fame and fortune as fortune tellers (pun intended) and it is still a thriving field of study however inaccurate it might be..

Superstitions have no foundation, basis or lifespan it has to diappear on its own.
Old June 12th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
Astrology.. an intersting aspect of life..

Superstitions have no foundation, basis or lifespan it has to diappear on its own.
But this one, if its a superstition, doesn't seem to disappear, does it? If anything, more and more people seem to be believing in it. And it seems that when people hit a certain age their belief either strengthens or starts germinating.
GpeL bro, aapne to Vedic times ka explanation diya par aaj ke zamaane mein bahut saare log vishwas karte hain. Aur 95% shadiyon mein to janm-kundli milayi hi jati hain.
Old June 12th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Re: Astrology... ahem...

Quote:
Originally posted by ManOfLaMancha
Two prophecies related to Nepal tragedy:

1. Several hundred years ago, a sage, whose vomitted curd a disgusted Nepali king refused to eat, ....

I just hope to God, I don't think of this when I am eating something.
YUCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK !!!!!!!!
Old June 12th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

Re: Re: Astrology... ahem...

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G

I just hope to God, I don't think of this when I am eating something.
YUCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK !!!!!!!!
Nepal ke raja ne bhi yehi bola tha aur uski 11vi generation ko dekho kya hua. Apne generation ka socho Big-G
BTW, does anyone remember seeing a Bong movie? Is movie mein ek kameeni saas (mother-in-law) hoti hain. Woh ek pujari ki ulti apne bahu ko prasad bata ke khilati hain. Bahu ko to kuch nahin hota par saas ko bahut ultiyaan hoti hain. Badi graphic picture thi bhaiyya.
Old June 12th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
AAAAAAAAKKKKKKHHHHHHHHHHHHHh.......

bhai manchu, kya chakkar hai yaar.... aaj subah subah, inti achchhi aur khushbudaar baatein kyon kar raha hai??... kabhi sandaas, kabhi ulti...
Old June 12th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
Astrology is a science. As profound as it can get.

It's not for quacks to practice it.
but they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Old June 12th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by aryaputra
Astrology is a science. As profound as it can get.

It's not for quacks to practice it.
Arya, your post is a classic example of the logical fallacy called begging the question.

Bol dene se cheezen ho jati to main chaand pe hota Aishwarya, Sushmita, aur Pamela Anderson ke saath.
Old June 12th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Astronomy is science.. astrology is bullshiting based on knowledge of (or lack of knowledge of) astronomy..
Old June 12th, 2001, 11:03 AM
eWoman

Sheena is on a distinguished road
Cool its a perfedct science

Astrology is a compelte science,but totally depends on the stars,as u know stars movable so some times it may be failed .

but as my believe astrology is great science,but yaar kisi bhi baat ko dil se nahi lena chahiye tabhi hum khush rah sakte hain means DON'T BE stuck on any bhavishyavani.
Old June 12th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Re: its a perfedct science

Quote:
Originally posted by SHEENA
Astrology is a compelte science,but totally depends on the stars,as u know stars movable so some times it may be failed .

but as my believe astrology is great science,but yaar kisi bhi baat ko dil se nahi lena chahiye tabhi hum khush rah sakte hain means DON'T BE stuck on any bhavishyavani.
Make up your mind, Sheena. Either its a perfect science or it always fails.
Stars just don't move randomly. Read any decent book on astronomy. The movements of starts are very much in line with certain equations. Aisa nahin ki aaj sun milky way mein hain aur kal uski icchanusar Andromeda mein jaa raha hon.
Old June 12th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by ManOfLaMancha

Arya, your post is a classic example of the logical fallacy called begging the question.

Bol dene se cheezen ho jati to main chaand pe hota Aishwarya, Sushmita, aur Pamela Anderson ke saath.
it is as good as saying that Nuclear science is bullshit 'cause I don't understand it.
but they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Old June 12th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by aryaputra

it is as good as saying that Nuclear science is bullshit 'cause I don't understand it.
Because, I've studied a bit of nuclear science. Secondly, if somebody said nuclear science was bull-shit I'd present some points against it. Aap kuch facts to nahin rakh rahe ho aur bakwaas kar rahe ho. Ab astrology ko nuclear science se compare karne lag gaye. Kya yaar aap bhi!
Old June 12th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Pelu Pelu

Well we can go in circles then cant we..
I can argue that astrology is as much science as voodoo..
now compare voodoo to nuclear science..

Astrology has no proven basis.. Shani has bad effect on you.. where is the proof for all this.. just in fear and mythologies?

Nuclear science has proof from electricity to hiroshima..
Old June 12th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
Well we can go in circles then cant we..
I can argue that astrology is as much science as voodoo..
now compare voodoo to nuclear science..

Astrology has no proven basis.. Shani has bad effect on you.. where is the proof for all this.. just in fear and mythologies?

Nuclear science has proof from electricity to hiroshima..
Wohi main kah raha tha GpeL bhai. Sawaal ki bheek (begging the question).