eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Sports

Notices

Sports Your arena, your grounds, your pitch...

Old June 26th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow ICC approves changes in the ODI rules!

Agencies - 26th June 2005.

London: The International Cricket Council has approved the recommendations regarding substitution and field restrictions in one-day international cricket, adding a "tactical dimention" to the format making it more exciting.

The new regulations will be on trial for 10 months after implemention from as early as July 30 and reviewed by the committee, which made the initial recommendations, at its 2006 meeting.

Under the new rules, soccer-style substitution will be permitted which will allow sides to replace a player at any stage of a match.

The replaced player will be ruled out of the rest of the match while the substitute will start afresh, assuming any remaining batting or bowling duties.

There will also be an increase from 15 to 20 overs of restrictions. Unlike the present system, the new set-up means they will apply for the first 10 overs of every innings plus two additional blocks of five overs which must be selected by the fielding captain.

The CEC decided that the additional 'close-catcher' field restrictions, where two players must be within the 15-yard 'inner circle', should only apply for the first 10 overs.

The changes were recommended by the ICC Cricket Committee comprising former international cricketers.

Source Link
Old June 26th, 2005, 03:53 AM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
Re: ICC approves changes in the ODI rules!

once the sponsors take over the game this is what happens.
it will be entertainment, yes. but it will not be cricket
Old June 26th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute

they were agreed upon by the retired cricketers. All the ICC Officials also gave it the green signal.. Sunil Gavaskar was one of them...
Old June 26th, 2005, 04:08 AM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough

at one level i don't blame them. these days the pace of life is so fast that people cannot sit thru a five day game or even a one day game. it is a real shame but ces't la vie, i suppose.

hence the three hour 20-20 games. and now the new rule regarding substitutes. it will certainly pull the crowds but a twenty over game is not real cricket. the lucky team wins.
Old June 26th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakil sahib
at one level i don't blame them. these days the pace of life is so fast that people cannot sit thru a five day game or even a one day game. it is a real shame but ces't la vie, i suppose.

hence the three hour 20-20 games. and now the new rule regarding substitutes. it will certainly pull the crowds but a twenty over game is not real cricket. the lucky team wins.

I agree with you, the 20-20 games are much like "galli cricket". Its like everything is so hurried up.. The fact doesn't seem to sink in that an international game lasts for only 3 odd hours! 20-20 game isn not the true test of a team.. the lucky team wins i agree.
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

It's too early to say whether these changes will improve the game; I think they are geared more towards generating more money. I just hope that traditional Test and One-day cricket stays alive despite of these changes

Sent from my iPhone.
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted the game to stay in traditional format...even 15 over rule shld have been scrapped...But they have done just the opposite by extending it..I want crowd to go down to zero ...only then these people will learn a lesson
Old June 26th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Yes, we are all used to the current formats of games! The tests last for 5 days and the one dayers for 7 hours. It'll all change once the changes take place! It wouldn't be the same fun, would it? I feel the 15 over restriction was fair... now, 20 out of the 50 overs will have those restrictions.. so we'll be able to see more hitting.. this game is becomming more and more batsman friendly.. and that is cruel on the bowlers! We'll soon be able to see 400 runs been scored in a single innings! Good for the batsmen, ghastly for the bowlers!
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Instant Mischief

Budmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: ICC approves changes in the ODI rules!

12th player option is not good . .rest is going to entertain us more
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: ICC approves changes in the ODI rules!

Test cricket is now played purely for sake of records and just for the sake of letting players have a good practise session and build stamina.

One day was an entertaining format compared to a 5 day test match. One day has served its purpose of entertainment and more interesting techniques of play in an accelarated environment.

Now things need to change. To spread the game more around the world, to attract a larger audience, to get more sponsorship and to build a bigger industry around cricket and other sports, the current format needs a change. It has to be commercially viable and packaged like any other television event.

Why is NBA or NFL successful? It provides a 2 hour slot of sports action and can be shown on any day of the week. You dont need to spend the entire day at it and its better to have a shorter game. You come home from work and you have a game on TV. Thats a way to relax and forget about the work day.

I think we need to make cricket more like a three to four hour game. Maybe 25 over each side. This format could be used for NFL, NBA style packaging. The current ODI format could be kept for the weekends and international tournaments like World Cup etc.

Imagine how many more players will get a chance if we can format the Ranji trophy and One Day cricket like a 3 hour movie which can be shown on any weekday on TV. Just 25 overs a side. Lots of teams, lots of fast action on the field and overall more exposure for the game. Heck, I would love to come home from work and see a India Pak 25 over game instead of watching NBA!
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Cha pai, sahi hai.. they need a shorter version. 20/20 is a perfect format to market in USA, for example. Just give 20/20 an international status (I think they already have as it shows up now under player profiles), but don't screw with traditional One-Day matches.

Though I've never seen any 20/20 type matches in the International arena, I think it would be fun to watch. However, I would only support them as long as the 20/20 records are separated from ODI records. Luck plays a bigger role in shorter games than talent...

Regarding new substitution changes, I agree with the views of Asif Iqbal: "Twelve players is no proper cricket match. The game should be played properly, and we should have complete players, not parts of them."

By the way, there will be a 20/20 tournament (LA Open) in LA this weekend, featuring some international players, if anybody wants to come and watch

Sent from my iPhone.
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Senior eCharchan

Desi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Test cricket is now played purely for sake of records and just for the sake of letting players have a good practise session and build stamina.

One day was an entertaining format compared to a 5 day test match. One day has served its purpose of entertainment and more interesting techniques of play in an accelarated environment.

Now things need to change. To spread the game more around the world, to attract a larger audience, to get more sponsorship and to build a bigger industry around cricket and other sports, the current format needs a change. It has to be commercially viable and packaged like any other television event.

Why is NBA or NFL successful? It provides a 2 hour slot of sports action and can be shown on any day of the week. You dont need to spend the entire day at it and its better to have a shorter game. You come home from work and you have a game on TV. Thats a way to relax and forget about the work day.

I think we need to make cricket more like a three to four hour game. Maybe 25 over each side. This format could be used for NFL, NBA style packaging. The current ODI format could be kept for the weekends and international tournaments like World Cup etc.

Imagine how many more players will get a chance if we can format the Ranji trophy and One Day cricket like a 3 hour movie which can be shown on any weekday on TV. Just 25 overs a side. Lots of teams, lots of fast action on the field and overall more exposure for the game. Heck, I would love to come home from work and see a India Pak 25 over game instead of watching NBA!
Agree with everything you said....
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sunit,who told you this?If anything,test cricket is more involving and exciting than one dayers!!!
Warne and Lara have stopped playing one dayers to prolong their Test careers.There have been players who have done the opposite but they are rare.You ask any player to choose between test and ODIs and he will invariably choose test cricket.
Quote:

20/20 cricket is not cricket,Sir.It is closer to Gilli Danda.It should be named Gilli Danda!!
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: ICC approves changes in the ODI rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean
Sunit,who told you this?If anything,test cricket is more involving and exciting than one dayers!!!
Warne and Lara have stopped playing one dayers to prolong their Test careers.There have been players who have done the opposite but they are rare.You ask any player to choose between test and ODIs and he will invariably choose test cricket.

20/20 cricket is not cricket,Sir.It is closer to Gilli Danda.It should be named Gilli Danda!!
Okay test cricket is engrossing and I have witnessed this myself. But tell me what about evolving to a new format where the focus is on entertainment in a more compressed time format?

Today its almost impossible to follow a test match on TV for all 5 days.
For ODIs you have to pray that its on a weekend as you cannot really miss your work for sake of ODI. In USA, when they broadcast matches in the middle of the night, I have stayed up late, gone to friend's place who has a dish antenna and seen the matches for sake of love for the game.

However, I think the time has come to make the game reach out more by changing the format. It can be called Express Cricket or something but it will be more entertaining for the spectators. Imagine the number of people who will get a chance to play such matches. The India XI team can play only Test and ODI but we need a 25 over format or a 3-4 hour format which can be broadcast in the evenings. This will increase so many affiliated industries and provide for employment of so many people. The world over, sports are now commercialised. Why not commercialise cricket and make it a well packaged entertainment dose of capsules to be consumed more regularly?

If NBA, Soccer, NFL, Baseball, Ice Hockey can be made as such, then why not cricket?