eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old June 12th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Question Some questions about Buddhism?

We have had so many discussions about Dalits and reservations. But these threads are usually about reservations and so on and so forth.

What most Dalits profess is that theya re BUddhists. Now I had some questions about Buddhism itself as I am no expert at it.

This is not religious or faith bashing, so please take it in the right spirit.

Some qeustions -
  1. How does one 'become' a Buddhist?
  2. Apart from meditation, what other activities is a Buddhist involved in that differentiates them from non-Buddhists?
  3. Is it mandatory for a Buddhist to agree with all of Buddha's teachings?
  4. Are there any strict prohibitions that a Buddhist must adhere to?
Old June 12th, 2002, 11:26 AM
eCharchan

AdiDravida is on a distinguished road
How does one 'become' a Buddhist?

If a person follows Buddhas teaching( 5 Seelas), he become a Buddhist. You might ask why did Dr. Ambedkar have a converstion or Why Udit Raj(Ram Raj) have converstion cermony. Its just to show that Dalits are no longer Hindus, as many claim

Apart from meditation, what other activities is a Buddhist involved in that differentiates them from non-Buddhists?
Meditation is not activity but an Aid which helps to follow and practice pancha seela. Other activites buddhist follow are
1. Do NOT kill
2. Do Not lie
3. Do not steal
4. Do not indulge in sexula misconduct
5. Do not get intoxicated.

You might ask. do have to do these to be a buddhist. NO if you are aware of these things and impove as you go long and change yourself that it self is big.

Is it mandatory for a Buddhist to agree with all of Buddha's teachings?
Kalam Sutta says(first cermon by Budda)

Do not believe in anything (simply) because you have heard it. Do not believe in tradition because they have been handed down for many generations. Do not believe in anything because it is spoken and rumored by man. Do not believe in anything (simply) because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teacher and elders.

But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all then accept it and live up to it.

Are there any strict prohibitions that a Buddhist must adhere to?

No strict prohibitions for common man, but for monks there are rule that must be followed. Which is laid in Vinaya Pitaka. (BTW essence of contitution is based on Vinaya Pitaka)
Old June 12th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Aaapka Dost

Rahul will become famous soon enoughRahul will become famous soon enough
Red face Those are not my views........

AdiDalita,

Lately it seems its become a favorite religion of Dalit converting, I always think may be its because, that way they can have another religion and the one which is quite same and branched out from Hinduism, and they wont be called Hindu anymore.

But one of my dalit friend (who didnt use the quota system) and really doing quite great in life, enlighten me one day. its entirely his views and I have nothing to do with them, he says....The reason Dalit want to becom Budhist because that way they dont have to change last name or they dont required to change name, means for whole the worlds the become Budhist but they still can enjoy all the previledge of being an Dalit. If they convert to say Christian or muslim, they have to change name and christian and muslim dont comes under Reserve category, so here you go....
Old June 12th, 2002, 11:58 AM
eCharchan

Re: Those are not my views........

Quote:
Originally posted by Rahul
AdiDalita,

Lately it seems its become a favorite religion of Dalit converting, I always think may be its because, that way they can have another religion and the one which is quite same and branched out from Hinduism, and they wont be called Hindu anymore.

But one of my dalit friend (who didnt use the quota system) and really doing quite great in life, enlighten me one day. its entirely his views and I have nothing to do with them, he says....The reason Dalit want to becom Budhist because that way they dont have to change last name or they dont required to change name, means for whole the worlds the become Budhist but they still can enjoy all the previledge of being an Dalit. If they convert to say Christian or muslim, they have to change name and christian and muslim dont comes under Reserve category, so here you go....
Good to see a Dalit prosper without reservation, convey my regards to your dalit friend. now coming to his comment.

After converting to Buddhism, you can change your name and still get reservation. You change it even a Christain name and still get reservation. So ur friend is wrong with his analysis.
Old June 12th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up I am happy that

there is some positive discussion here
Old June 12th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Aaapka Dost

Re: Re: Those are not my views........

Quote:
Originally posted by AdiDravida

After converting to Buddhism, you can change your name and still get reservation. You change it even a Christain name and still get reservation. So ur friend is wrong with his analysis.
You are wrong here, no you cant, there are some state [ I forget the name may be Goa or Kerala ] where Christian can use those reservation quota, but none other places.

But you know what, some people still use those quote after converting by their old name, reason we dont have any system back in India, and those thing very much possible.
Old June 12th, 2002, 12:25 PM
eCharchan

Re: Re: Re: Those are not my views........

Quote:

You are wrong here, no you cant, there are some state [ I forget the name may be Goa or Kerala ] where Christian can use those reservation quota, but none other places.

But you know what, some people still use those quote after converting by their old name, reason we dont have any system back in India, and those thing very much possible.
Reservation is not based on Name, but on Religion. Only Hindus and Buddhists can have reservation as per constitution, Yes a few Christain(mostly tribals) are given reservation.

yes there are lot of convert christians who, claim they are hindu Dalits and claim reservation. Why for that matter there are lots of upper caste people claiming Dalits get reservation. Its a sorry state of affairs..
Old June 12th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some questions about Buddhism?

Quote:
[*]How does one 'become' a Buddhist?
Chant buddam sharanam gachaami.. you are one third there
Quote:
[*]Apart from meditation, what other activities is a Buddhist involved in that differentiates them from non-Buddhists?
Draw water from well. Wash cloths. Eat rice. Practice kung fu. Shave his head.
Quote:
[*]Is it mandatory for a Buddhist to agree with all of Buddha's teachings?
Well if you disagree they send you to their version of binTeylPel

Quote:
[*]Are there any strict prohibitions that a Buddhist must adhere to?
Yes.. Never attempt to reach BinTeylPel. (This is not a rule but its generally considered good for your own health).
Old June 12th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Aaapka Dost

Re: Re: Re: Re: Those are not my views........

Quote:

Reservation is not based on Name, but on Religion. Only Hindus and Buddhists can have reservation as per constitution, Yes a few Christain(mostly tribals) are given reservation.
its sound more like people want to convert in some religion, so they wont be called low caste hindu anymore but still they can enjoy the Quota system, right

Isnt it oppurtunist
Old June 12th, 2002, 12:57 PM
eCharchan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Those are not my views........

Quote:

its sound more like people want to convert in some religion, so they wont be called low caste hindu anymore but still they can enjoy the Quota system, right

Isnt it oppurtunist
yes it would be Oppurtunistic if they convert and they all get rid of casteism that is present in the society. Even though i am a buddist i still am a dalit as per our society.

dalit converting to Buddhism is to move to better religion which does not treat them bad. But they are not moving to a better society, which will continue to treat them as untouchables.

Ambedkar once said that, in India, religion like a Shirt and caste is the body. A man can change his religion but his caste will carry in all his religion.

Last edited by AdiDravida; June 12th, 2002 at 01:12 PM.
Old June 12th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute
To become Buddhist:

Accept the Bhuddhist translations of Lord Bhuddha's teachings. And that is "Jagat Shunya". A cude translation meaning, "there is nothing".

However there seems to be a lot of direct contradictions that we see in real life for this philosophical statement, but following their argument, there seems to be great deal of sense in this.

However, there are also "Hindu" version of Lord Bhuddha's teachings. If you accept those, you remain/become a Hindu.

If you are asking for legally becoming a Bhuddhist, then you don't need all this. You just join the gang and register with them. You don't even have to give up meat. You can argue - "Do not believe in anything (simply) because you have heard it. Do not believe in tradition because they have been handed down for many generations. Do not believe in anything because it is spoken and rumored by man. Do not believe in anything (simply) because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teacher and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all then accept it and live up to it."
Old June 12th, 2002, 01:10 PM
eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by krantikari
To become Buddhist:

Accept the Bhuddhist translations of Lord Bhuddha's teachings. And that is "Jagat Shunya". A cude translation meaning, "there is nothing".

can you tell me where did u get this meaning "Jagat Shunya". First time i am hearing this.
Old June 12th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Those are not my views........

Quote:

Ambedkar once said that, in India, religion like a Shirt and caste is the body. A man can change his religion but his caste will carry ini all this religion.
I really wonder if he said this. This is a pretty moronic and extremely pessimistic statement from an ultimately frustrated guy. Otherwise he must have said it in a light mood, that don't deserve a quote in forums. In such a case this statement is being given undue importance.
Old June 12th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:

can you tell me where did u get this meaning "Jagat Shunya". First time i am hearing this.
And you call yourself a "Bhuddhist" ?
Old June 12th, 2002, 01:14 PM
eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by krantikari

And you call yourself a "Bhuddhist" ?
I am a Buddhist