eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old November 16th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Senior eCharchan

aby_baby is on a distinguished road
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSainik
IMO nobody will shut shops in B'lore and move to Maharshtra. I think Maharashtra should (and they are I think) concentrate on capturing growth of IT services giants like Wipro, TCS and Infy. What they should also target is US based product co.s which still does not have enough base in India. Pune is somewhat successful in getting attention from US based ISVs recently. Co.s like Nvidia, Amdocs and small co.s like Storability have setup their off-shore locations in pune. This year’s trend shows that a significant number of US-based parent IT companies are showing a preference for Pune as their Indian base. Of the 60 firms registered with STPI (Mah) between April and October this year, more than 20 are US-based IT majors.

Also we have example of off-shore devlopment center of worlds 4th largest ISV (Veritas - now Symantec Corp) which is running in pune for almost 7-8 years now.

Other positive point (which may not last forever) is low attrition rate in pune (5-10%) as compared to B'lore (almost 70%)

While Nashik could be interesting choice, according to P. Venugopal, director (Maharashtra), Software Technology Park of India (STPI) : "After the heavy rains which lashed Mumbai on July 26, the STPI had tried to convince some IT firms to consider these locations, but the interest shown was momentary".

And IMHO whether it is Kannad goons or ShivSena, this is non-issue with respect to IT industry growth.
At last a voice of reason. You are right in a way that surplus growth will move away from Bangalore. All the major Indian Software service companies are looking for new locations for growing which is better for the country and the city of Bangalore in a way.

However the going for Pune and other Indian cities will really be tough, simply because unlike 15 years ago almost all major states seem to have woken up to the potential of IT and every state is pulling up all kinds of sops to attract IT industry. Three weeks ago the CM of Himachal Pradesh was in Bangalore asking the Industry to put money in his state. This would have been unimaginable just 5 years ago. You name a state, and the CM is doing all it can to lure IT companies, Bihar excluded. You have CMs of Assam and Sikkim who want IT industry in their states.

As it stands today, Pune has absolutely nothing in favor of it when compared to Gurgaon or Noida. Closer to International airport, US consulate, better roads and public transport and no outsider/insider syndrome.

This is the main reason why I feel that the primacy of Bangalore is safe.

Second and the more important reason is that of people. Unlike Services projects which can be scaled up in a short time you just cannot do that in a product firm. Second reason is that in any services project in India the majority of the people are junior level staff who can be replaced any time.

Imagine a scenario where Wipro or Infy want to farm out their new project in a new city. All they need is to find a core group of willing people to move into the new project and build it around them. This model will never work in product firms.

You talked about NVidia. NVidia started out in Pune but today it has a larger center operating in Bangalore. What are the reasons? People, people and people. If NVida wants a graphics chipset engineer all it needs to do is make an offer to a guy in Intel or Philips offering him a 20-30% hike in salary. Ask the same engineer to relocate to Pune he will reject the offer rightaway. This is the advantage Bangalore has and no amount of infrastructre problems can ever remove that.

This will be the model in any product company. They will want people who have worked in that domain, and there is no better place to find the people apart from Bangalore.

This is the reason why every storage company in India, will move to Pune. Because it will be easy for them to staff by hiring/poaching a few key people from Veritas. And this is the key reason why Microsoft inspite of having a large development center decided to locate its research labs in Bangalore. Bad roads and traffic snarls not withstanding.

Finally attrition rates in Core IT industry in Bangalore is about 15-20% not 70%. 70% is in Call centers and other ITES.

And finally Vyomi, the second largest center of Infy is in Chennai. And at current growth levels that center will be the largest in 4 years.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby_baby
As it stands today, Pune has absolutely nothing in favor of it when compared to Gurgaon or Noida. Closer to International airport, US consulate, better roads and public transport and no outsider/insider syndrome.
Shiv Sainiks post was more about facts, so it was interesting to read. On the contrary all those miles of literature that you posted is not based on facts, but full of your perception and flop predictions. Therefore you will never be given any credence by serious participants in this debate. Your wishful thinking is appreciated though. If you feel that Madras is a better option than Pune, then that itself is good enough for me to stay away from debating with you seriously.

If you were an advisor to ex-Andhra CM Naidu (No one would touch you by a barge pole in reality, even so just a hypothetical scenario) you would have argued that "Naidu gaarru ..ith yis useless competing with Bangaloooore Saaarrr Bangloooore yis faar ahead of Hyderabad saaar wai Bill Gates come to Hyderabad whhen ye hyaas all facccilities in Bangloooore"

But then there are people who make the unthinkable happen people like C.B Naidu. All it takes is efforts. With a solid track record behind Maharashtra I'm sure keetabi keedas like you(of the Sulaimaani variety) will be proved wrong just as so many times before!

Like I said before guys like you are better off licking sambar spilling onto your fore hands.

Jai Maharashtra!
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Senior eCharchan

aby_baby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking
Shiv Sainiks post was more about facts, so it was interesting to read. On the contrary all those miles of literature that you posted is not based on facts, but full of your perception and flop predictions. Therefore you will never be given any credence by serious participants in this debate. Your wishful thinking is appreciated though. If you feel that Madras is a better option than Pune, then that itself is good enough for me to stay away from debating with you seriously.
Poor sod cant you read and understand English. FYI I compared Gurgaon with Pune and gave factors why it is better than Pune.

Second fact is that Infy's center in Chennai is bigger than Pune and the center in Mahindra City is expected to host 22 thousand professionals by 2009.

Quote:
If you were an advisor to ex-Andhra CM Naidu (No one would touch you by a barge pole in reality, even so just a hypothetical scenario) you would have argued that "Naidu gaarru ..ith yis useless competing with Bangaloooore Saaarrr Bangloooore yis faar ahead of Hyderabad saaar wai Bill Gates come to Hyderabad whhen ye hyaas all facccilities in Bangloooore"
Oh yeah Bill Gates quietly came to Bangalore and located Microsoft research Labs in the city. It just happened without much hoopla. Inspite of best efforts of CB Naidu, Andhra is in distant third behind Karnataka and TN.

Quote:
Jai Maharashtra!
I am sure this quote is enough to scare companies off the state. And you can go about your rantings, nothing is gonna change the state of Bangalore or Chennai or any other city.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

My take on this -

If Bangalore is bursting at the seams where infrastructure is concerned, then let some other deserving states who can provide infrastructure get the piece of the IT pie. I am from Maharashtra, know its one of the deserving and hard working state, and hence would wish for IT to grow.

It is necessary for growth of IT in all parts of India so that companies are not dependant on any one state. Changes in government will then become a non-issue as the governments which do not perform will lose the business or will see no new investments. Offcourse this is a ideal situation, but one can wish for it.

Another aspect which many 'giants' of IT in India forget is that service based growth will not continue for long. Some day our IT needs to wake up and compete for product based growth. We need to have our own Oracles and MIcrosofts which wont be just developing small modules or execute parts of a project or desigining new chips for an Intel. We need to have our own Intels.

One more area we sorely lack is hardware manufacture. The shantist shanties in Taiwan manufacture some computer and electronic hardware, yet we are behind the curve. Why? Why dont we have labour friendly setups for the chip industry to manufacture chips in India?

Forget this South versus North versus East versus West India diatribe, and think how can we make this IT boom turn into a long term boon for our economy and growth.
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:27 AM
Banned

Amogh is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
Maharashtra CM dials Infy: Unhappy in Karnataka? Move

I told him we will give whatever you need: Vilasrao

PRADEEP KAUSHAL

Posted online: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 0147 hours IST

NEW DELHI, NOVEMBER 14: From Congress-ruled Karnataka to Congress-ruled Maharashtra. That’s the move Infosys Technologies’ chief mentor N R Narayana Murthy has been asked to make by Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh who has ‘‘invited’’ him to the state.

‘‘I called him up two days ago and told him that if you are unhappy in Bangalore, please come to Maharashtra. I told him we will provide you whatever you need. He said he would come to Mumbai soon and meet me,’’ Deshmukh told The Indian Express.

The ‘‘invitation’’ comes days after former prime minister H D Deve Gowda—his JD(S) is part of the Congress-led government in Karnataka—targeted Infosys. Murthy quit in disgust as chairman of the Bangalore International Airport Limited. Infosys already has 110 acres at the Pune Infotech Park (PIP), developed by the state. ‘‘Mr Murthy told me he is very happy with Pune and Maharashtra. Should Mr Murthy require more land in Pune, we are prepared to acquire it and hand it over to him,’’ Deshmukh said.

Dump Bangalore Drive Should Begin
Mods,

Excuse me for bumping a thread which is more than a decade old. But once I get the precise answer, you may delete my post.

So my question is: At least a decade has passed since that invitation. Now where is that new branch - big or small - of Infosys company?
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:38 AM
Banned

Or may be the answer is there in one of the above replies. I didn't go through the thread.
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:03 AM
Banned

Yeh hai na aur kya chahiye?

A
Hp Infosys
Software Company
Nagpur, Maharashtra · 0712 274 0457

B
Infosys
Corporate Office
Pune, Maharashtra

C
Infosys Guest House
Guest House
Pune, Maharashtra · 020 2293 2800
Old December 31st, 2016, 08:18 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

It was those days when Infosys was harassed by Deve Gowda and was looking at other venues. There was talk of Infy shutting down shop and moving to a new place in Hyderabad (which was mostly untouched by Cybercoolie cos). i also bought some property near that area hoping this would also see the boom that Hi tec city etc have seen.

Probably it was more a threat than actual intention.
As things stand now, Pune is a Cyber coolie hub now and Infy along with many 'MNCs'. Kanbay was there in 90s too. Infy is all over . Bhubaneswar, Mohali, and Mysore too.