eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Sports

Notices

Sports Your arena, your grounds, your pitch...

Old February 26th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Throw the ball, Murali, Lee and Akhtar

quite an interesting article

It isn't just Bob Simpson saying it. You would have to be blind not to see that cricket is full of chuckers. And that unless something is done about it, the epidemic will spread and make a mockery of cricket.

That's no exaggeration when you remember that three of the world's most high profile bowlers chuck. Muttaiah Murlitharan throws every single ball without exception. And he is now the third highest wicket-taker in history, his 485 Test wickets just behind Shane Warne's 491, and within catching distance of Courtney Walsh's 519.

The other two are occasional chuckers. Both Brett Lee and Shoab Akhtar throw when they are striving for that extra mile. In fact, next time the speed gun shows a new record for the world's fastest ball, a video recording should simultaneously zoom in to the bowler's bent elbow. Then everyone will make the obvious equation: bent elbow is equal to a faster ball. Next thing you know, a whole generation of youngsters will fail to straighten their arm. "We are following in the footsteps of Lee and Akhtar," they will say. And who will be able to call them when the best known culprits in the game will have gone unscathed?

Muralitharan is even worse because he never bowls. He only chucks. Apparently a physical deformity makes him unable to straighten his arm and the ICC took that into consideration when clearing him. That may be fair to him, but is it fair to batsmen? And is it fair to cricket?

Obviously the additional leverage which he gets from his bent elbow and its jerky action lets him impart an extra bit of spin and a more than extra bit of turn. In other words, his handicap becomes his advantage. Should such a "bowler" be allowed to bowl?

By the same token, there are other bowlers who should be, or should have been, outlawed. Grant Flower is one, though he is so innocuous no one notices. B S Chandrashekhar shouldn't have been allowed to bowl but you can't apply the law retrospectively.

But you should apply the law evenly to everyone now. Suppose I claim; and claim with medical evidence; that I speed excessively when I drive because my right leg is a problem leg which stiffens uncontrollably. Will that be accepted by the authorities? Or are they not likely to ban me from driving completely? They will undoubtedly do so. And everyone will agree that the ban is justified. So why not apply that even-handed justice to all and sundry in cricket? If the Muralitharans and the Flowers and the Chandreshekhars of the world cannot bowl with the correct action, they should take up another sport. The Javelin, for instance. They have the perfect action for that. Or may be take up baseball and become pitchers.

Bob Simpson has made the interesting point that even if a lax ICC should clear a bowler (as it did Muralitharan, Harbhajan Singh, Shoab Akhtar etc), it shouldn't be seen as a clearance for life. The clearance can only be temporary and should not stop umpires from calling the bowler if they see a suspect action.

Will this happen? It won't. Only a few Australian umpires have dared to call Muralitharan, and, frankly, many Australian umpires are biased or incompetent or both. Other umpires from other countries are far too craven to make trouble. They have well paid jobs and they won't do anything to jeopardise them. Even if it means turning a completely blind eye to chuckers.

It's about time the ICC restored full powers to the umpires in the middle. That means getting rid of the Match Referee for sure. Match Referees have done such a terrible job so far, coming down heavily on minor infractions, letting go major offenders, that they are a disgrace to their calling. Yes, we need a Third Umpire, and we need to use him more. But we need only umpires. No Referees. No ICC panel.

And we need a strict, even-handed adherence to the laws of cricket.

The link :http://www.cricketnext.com/features1.../dharker55.htm
Old February 26th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Was Chandrashekhar really a chucker? I know that his arm was weak, but not sure if it really affected his bowling action. I have heard (read) nothing but great things about him from the legendary batsmen of his era, unlike Muralitharan whom many cricketers have called a chucker.

Murali - I know he's a chucker.
Akhtar - Yup, a chucker... an occasional one as stated in the article.
Lee - I have heard about it from others, mainly from Pukes to argue against the fact that Akhtar chucks. I haven't seen him chuck, but then I haven't seen him a lot.
Chandrashekhar - No clue, but very surprised at the allegations.

Do you think Chandra chucked? Was it ever an issue?

Except for Chandrashekhar part, I agree with the article... something needs to be done about these chuckers. It is against both rules and the spirit of the game. What a shame!

Sent from my iPhone.
Old February 26th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
About Chandrashekhar,I have also never heard or read anywhere that he chucked.....But I will dig into this definitely and come up with the fact...
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:24 AM
nayasavera

I have seen the tapes of Chandra's bowling. He was as clean as they come. His bowling was a bit unorthodox for those times. And never heard anything of this sort before. So this Simpson dude is unnecessarily trying to drag this legend into this controversy.

Murali: I don't think he chucks. He has a problem with his arm. It's not straight. It's not uncommon to have this problem. Besides, he doesn't use the bend in his arm to turn the bowl. Some guyz bend the arm to get that extra turn. Like Rajesh Chauhan did. His palm faced sidewards and he released the ball in the direction of the bend. But when Murali bowls, his palm faces upwards. That means that he is releasing the ball in the direction opposite to the bend. I wish I could explain it better. Besides, it's not possible to get that sort of turn even if the ball is thrown. He's gifted, IMHO.

Shoaib and Lee: Both of them chuck big time. If they can straighten their arm for some deliveries, why can't they do it for others !
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:37 AM
nayasavera

Murali is Don Bradman of bowlers: Steve Waugh

And finally they recognise..

-------------------------------------------
http://in.rediff.com/cricket/2004/mar/11murali.htm

The Australians have finally recognised the class of Sri Lankan off-spinner Muthiah Muralitharan with the former skipper Steve Waugh calling him the Don Bradman of bowlers.

Waugh, who retired as Australian Test skipper after the home Test series against India last January, said there would never be another Bradman with the bat.

But, he wrote in The Daily Telegraph on Thursday, Muralitharan came close, at least statistically, in bowling terms.

Muralitharan exposed Australia's batting limitations against spin with a six-wicket haul in the opening Test in Galle on Monday, the 40th time he has taken five or more wickets in a Test innings.

Bradman is cricket's greatest batsman with an unprecedented batting average of 99.94 in 52 Tests.

Waugh said that while figures can be misleading in the short term, longevity tends to put them into perspective, and the 'rubber-wristed illusionist' has no peer as a bowler.

"Such is his aura, whenever anyone mentions Sri Lankan cricket his name immediately springs to mind," Waugh said.

"For teams about to take on this proud cricketing nation, about half the team meeting will revolve around how to combat his (Murali) unique style of bowling.

"This, of course, is much easier said than done because like all great players he has the ability to improvise, evolve and mutate to stay one step ahead of everyone else.

"The dismissal of Darren Lehmann in the first innings was a perfect example of his genius in not only inventing a delivery but in executing it at exactly the right time."

Waugh said that while Muralitharan may appear to be laid back by nature a fierce competitive streak lurks beneath the surface.

"Much in the same vein as (Australian leg-spinner) Shane Warne, Murali tends to dismantle the opposition through imposing body language, immediate detection of any apparent weaknesses, relentless pressure, unfailing accuracy and an enormous repertoire of deliveries," he said.

"He bowls with subtle variations and is capable of turning a match in his team's favour in the blink of an eye.

"With such a unique action, Murali is very hard to pick up when you first face him because of his bent arm and plasticine wrist which propels the ball at various speeds without being easily detected."

Waugh said that like all sportsmen Murali must have an Achilles heel -- although the great ones tend to mask their inadequacies well.
Old March 12th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
I ain't a big cricket buff, but I have always known that this Murli fukker chucks. All the time. I was pretty surprised the first time I saw it. He definitely chucks.
Old March 12th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Senior eCharchan

All of the cricketing fraternity knows that Murali is not a bowler at all.He is simply a thrower or chucker.Steve Waugh has recognized his stats only.Murali will never be recognized as a 'class' bowler.
Warne is an absolute 'class' and although no. of wickets taken by both are same,they cannot be compared because one of them is not a bowler at all!

And one more info to share with you ppl...As I talked to some old cricket followers who have seen Chandrashekhar bowl,he never chucked...his bowling arm used to come round and did not use to stop at any place.
Old March 12th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G
I ain't a big cricket buff, but I have always known that this Murli fukker chucks. All the time. I was pretty surprised the first time I saw it. He definitely chucks.
Murli fukker chucks Murli chuker f*ucks .......... say it quickly 25 times.
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old March 12th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute
cricket commentary kahi aaraha hai kya bhai log?
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:33 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
cut/paste

The biomechanics expert whose investigation five years ago helped clear Muttiah Muralitharan's bowling action believes the spinner's remarkable new delivery may be flirting with the boundaries of legality.

University of Western Australia professor Bruce Elliott, who is part of the International Cricket Council committee charged with identifying potentially flawed bowling actions, wants a closer look at Muralitharan's "doosra" - a delivery that spins the opposite direction to his stock off-spinner.

His fears about Murali's new delivery come as the ICC:

Is becoming increasingly concerned about the thousands of youngsters from the subcontinent who are trying to copy the Sri Lankan's action.

Is investigating a report that several bowlers at the recently completed under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh may have been using illegal actions.

Also, a sports scientist from Cricket Australia has completed a study that may lead to rules being amended to allow fast bowlers to bend their arms further during delivery.

Elliott, who is at the forefront of research into bowler mechanics, is keen to analyse Murali's new weapon.

"With the doosra," he said, "what I'm suggesting is that when a finger spinner wants to rotate the wrist to come over the top of the ball - I won't say it's impossible - but it seems difficult not to straighten the arm.

"The doosra fits into that category that just says 'danger'. "I'd certainly like to look at any finger spinner's doosra or wrong'un because there's no question that as you push up with your wrist to turn over the ball there is a danger of straightening the arm."

Elliott was part of a three-man ICC team sent to the under-19s tournament to identify bowlers with potentially illegal actions. The other members were former England player Bob Woolmer and former Pakistan quick Waqar Younis.

Alarmingly, they sent a report to ICC general manager David Richardson highlighting concerns about half a dozen bowlers from a range of countries, though primarily from the subcontinent. It is part of an extensive initiative by the ICC to deal with the issue of illegal bowling.

"There's no doubt that children on the subcontinent are trying to emulate [Muralitharan]," Elliott said.

"They're watching a lot of cricket on television and if you're watching a successful bowler - and it's more than just Murali who is bowling with a bent arm - it's hard to resist copying it.

"The million-dollar question is whether they are straightening the arm. If you keep it bent or even flex it, it's still legal. Our kids have far more coaching and the top coaches in Australia don't teach the bent-arm approach. On the subcontinent they learn more by watching. If kids are trying to bowl like Murali then, yes, there's danger."

Muralitharan was extensively analysed in 1996 and was cleared by the ICC in 1998. The investigation found he had a flexion deformity that prevents him straightening his elbow. He also has an unusually flexible wrist. But his bowling action gives the illusion that he straightens his elbow during delivery.

Recent work in the area of bowler biomechanics was done by Cricket Australia sports scientist Marc Portus, who studied 50 fast bowlers and found that 15 degrees, and not the present 10 degrees, would be a more appropriate amount of legal bend in the elbow.

UWA is looking to conduct similar tests with spin bowlers, including Shane Warne.

"We'd like to get some finger spinners to bowl a doosra and we'll see if the bowler has to extend the arm," Elliott said. "My gut feeling is that we will recommend to the ICC a rule amendment to allow a bent arm of 15 degrees for fast bowlers. At the conclusion of our analysis of spin bowlers, we could well be suggesting the same about them."

Elliott explained why it is an advantage to bowl, legally, with a bent arm and, illegally, to straighten it.

"If you extend up with the arm you'll get more over-rotation on the ball," he said. "For a spinner, that's a huge advantage. That, by definition is illegal.

"For a fast bowler or spinner, if you keep your arm bent, you can use the big rotator muscles in the shoulder, which are geared for throwing.

"So, it's natural, without being illegal, to get far more bite on the ball. It's absolutely logical that spinners would adopt a bent-arm action. The question is whether they extend it or not.

"I'm sure the ICC is becoming more concerned. And I don't think it's unfair to say that it is in direct response to that [copying Murali] concern because most people don't have his physical characteristics and they will revert to actually extending the arm."

The ICC is considering setting up laboratories around the world to perform the analysis.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old March 13th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Napolean
All of the cricketing fraternity knows that Murali is not a bowler at all.He is simply a thrower or chucker.Steve Waugh has recognized his stats only.Murali will never be recognized as a 'class' bowler.
Warne is an absolute 'class' and although no. of wickets taken by both are same,they cannot be compared because one of them is not a bowler at all!

And one more info to share with you ppl...As I talked to some old cricket followers who have seen Chandrashekhar bowl,he never chucked...his bowling arm used to come round and did not use to stop at any place.

Murali chuks big times ! I can't even think of comparing Warne and Murali. Warne is a class apart and most importantly he has clean action

Warne ke do wickets (Gooch and Basit ali) , aha jab bhi dekhta hu maza ata hai
Old March 14th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Proud Hindusthani

chirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to behold
NO MURALI DOESNT CHUCK... ..actually none of them do imho.

btw... read a column on subhash gupte..legendary legspinner.. he said that he chucked his faster one.. Surprising
Old March 15th, 2004, 04:27 AM
nayasavera

Quote:
Originally posted by Napolean
All of the cricketing fraternity knows that Murali is not a bowler at all.He is simply a thrower or chucker.
Which fraternity are you talking about ?

Can you name a few except for that mota Daryll Hair (sp. ?) and the ever envious Aussies and the fukkwits like Bedi?
Old March 15th, 2004, 04:33 AM
nayasavera

Jis jis ne Murali ki gaand maarnay ki koshish ki is thread mein un sabko mera shraap hai ki wog agle janam me tayde haath lekar paida hoN.
Old March 15th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Talking uh oh

Quote:
Originally posted by nayasavera
Jis jis ne Murali ki gaand maarnay ki koshish ki is thread mein un sabko mera shraap hai ki wog agle janam me tayde haath lekar paida hoN.
...as long as I get to chuck, I don't care

Sent from my iPhone.