eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Green Card

Notices

Green Card Discuss all things about the coveted card which is no longer green in color!

Old August 1st, 2014, 11:12 PM
Senior eCharchan

Desa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Share your green card experiences with us

My GC process was interesting:
Applied through EB1. The labor certification took a long time. It is estimated to be 3 months but took 6 for me. When I inquired at 4th month, they said it is in line and they won't hurry up either. After labor certification, I was able to apply for both I-146 and 480 at the same time because mine was current due to the reason that I wasn't actually BORN in India - nationality doesn't matter (although I had no nationality but Indian since birth). Went through regular medical checkups and forms. All of it was applied and fingerprinting was done. Then I had to wait for my EAD and travel document which I should have gotten in 90 days after fingerprinting. 90 days passed, no EAD. I called them and they said they are working on it and would process for temporary EAD. Then one night I was checking my status online. I entered the case number for EAD - it said "Rejected". Same for Travel document. Now I started thinking - "boriya bistar bandho aur chalo wapas". But just for the heck of it I also checked the I-485 status and it said "notice welcoming new immigrant is sent". Wow, that was relief. Within a week my GC came along with letter from USCIS that they are issuing my GC directly and therefore I wouldn't need EAD or travel document. Because of this they are rejecting these applications and I cannot appeal this decision (as if I would want to ).

Total time from the day I called my lawyer to start the process to actually getting GC - 1.5 years . Some tiring time were there but ending was good. I didn't have to go through any interview process either (maybe it does not apply to EB2 category at the year 2009).
Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:07 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was applied through EB2 - labour went to audit. Had to wait for labour approval for 2 years. DId not make any difference since EB2 was running behind by many years anyways.
Got labour, applied for I-140. It got approved quickly. then waited for applying 485. Fortunately , that time GC process had become very fast. Every month it was moving by a year.
Finally my date became current but in my laziness I delayed it but filed it before end of the month. It got approved and soon after GC dates retrogressed by many years. Thinking about it I almost flunked my GC process.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:19 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

i had ben a bit reluctant, believing in this 'nazar' crown winning thread from Rakhi ji. But lets go for it.

i landed up on an L1A visa and about a year after i landed up, i started the process with HR and the attorney HR referred to. Most of the time went in paperwork and it went the EB1 route. 6 months went in aranging for the "Non availability of birth certificate'.
Including all this plus the initial lead time of almost 9 months from the attorney, the call to the recepit of GC was 2 years and 1 month.

The actual processing time was 4 1/2 months each for 140 and 485 ( i did these serially, but these can go parallely too).
Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:30 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I wasnt gonna apply for GC or I thought so

So applied very late 2012 with abt 1.5 yrs left of the 6 yrs.. Since i have a masters I applied in EB2 .. Labor took very long with extra slow processing and govt shutdown (seriously?) .. And then I-140 and 3 yrs extension .. To ab aap kataar me hain .. The ne'er ending queue.. Hopefully my kid can sponsor me if I dont get it till he turns 18.

P.S. I feel this sher truly applies to me..

Tamaam sheher ke raste saja diye jaayein,
Hum aa gaye hain to kaante bichha diye jaayein !!!

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; August 4th, 2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: typo