eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:16 PM
viking's Avatar
viking viking is offline
Ass Kicker
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,624
viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Maharashtra CM dials Infy: Unhappy in Karnataka? Move

I told him we will give whatever you need: Vilasrao

PRADEEP KAUSHAL

Posted online: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 0147 hours IST

NEW DELHI, NOVEMBER 14: From Congress-ruled Karnataka to Congress-ruled Maharashtra. That’s the move Infosys Technologies’ chief mentor N R Narayana Murthy has been asked to make by Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh who has ‘‘invited’’ him to the state.

‘‘I called him up two days ago and told him that if you are unhappy in Bangalore, please come to Maharashtra. I told him we will provide you whatever you need. He said he would come to Mumbai soon and meet me,’’ Deshmukh told The Indian Express.

The ‘‘invitation’’ comes days after former prime minister H D Deve Gowda—his JD(S) is part of the Congress-led government in Karnataka—targeted Infosys. Murthy quit in disgust as chairman of the Bangalore International Airport Limited. Infosys already has 110 acres at the Pune Infotech Park (PIP), developed by the state. ‘‘Mr Murthy told me he is very happy with Pune and Maharashtra. Should Mr Murthy require more land in Pune, we are prepared to acquire it and hand it over to him,’’ Deshmukh said.

Dump Bangalore Drive Should Begin
__________________
Viking Kicking Ass - One Post At A Time
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:31 PM
echarcha's Avatar
echarcha echarcha is offline
Sutradhar {admin}
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 44,831
echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Pune or Nasik would be an ideal location. Nasik is also developing a lot and will soon be like Pune. A nice expressway to Nasik like Mumbai-Pune will benefit.
__________________
eCharcha.com
-Loud and Proud Desi Opinions
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 15th, 2005, 12:23 AM
style bhai's Avatar
style bhai style bhai is offline
eCharchan
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 409
style bhai is a jewel in the roughstyle bhai is a jewel in the roughstyle bhai is a jewel in the rough
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Pune or Nasik would be an ideal location. Nasik is also developing a lot and will soon be like Pune. A nice expressway to Nasik like Mumbai-Pune will benefit.
mamu, this thing aint gona happen. southies lick southies arse, aint no doubt in that. maharashtra aint in their radar till now.
AFAIK chennai and hyderbad are in their radar
__________________
Bombay Ka Number One Bhai

Dhurandhar Need Not Reply
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:01 AM
aby_baby's Avatar
aby_baby aby_baby is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 580
aby_baby is on a distinguished road
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by style bhai
mamu, this thing aint gona happen. southies lick southies arse, aint no doubt in that. maharashtra aint in their radar till now.
AFAIK chennai and hyderbad are in their radar
Ha ha ha. Now you bring regionalism into the picture. Bangalore is bursting. But take it from me nobody is going to move away from Bangalore. Only incremental investment is going to move away. Even in that case Pune is way too bad compared to other cities. Same bad roads same power issues. Who in his right frame of mind will move there from Bangalore.
__________________
Is this really needed??
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:55 AM
viking's Avatar
viking viking is offline
Ass Kicker
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,624
viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby_baby
Ha ha ha. Now you bring regionalism into the picture. Bangalore is bursting. But take it from me nobody is going to move away from Bangalore. Only incremental investment is going to move away. Even in that case Pune is way too bad compared to other cities. Same bad roads same power issues. Who in his right frame of mind will move there from Bangalore.
At leat no Kannda Vedike guys trying to screw up things. Besides Pune is not the only city in Maharashtra. I feel Nashik could be a good bet too. It already has an STP and a ready earth station. Closer to Mumbai and Pune both. An already developed industrial base.
__________________
Viking Kicking Ass - One Post At A Time

Last edited by viking; November 15th, 2005 at 02:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:24 AM
aby_baby's Avatar
aby_baby aby_baby is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 580
aby_baby is on a distinguished road
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking
At leat no Kannda Vedike guys trying to screw up things. Besides Pune is not the only city in Maharashtra. I feel Nashik could be a good bet too. It already has an STP and a ready earth station. Closer to Mumbai and Pune both. An already developed industrial base.
Yup no Kannada vedike. But I am sure young software pros arent exactly beaming at the thought of being thrashed by shiv sena goons for celebrating V-day.

Secondly infrastructure is only part of the deal. Infotech is all about skilled manpower. Where are you going to get the people from to Nashik?

It is not coincidence that Bangalore developed as an IT city and not any other city. Simply because all IT companies in late 80s and early 90s found a ready supply of manpower. And yah not those good for nothing passouts from dime a dozen engg colleges like Babbanrao dhone variety.
__________________
Is this really needed??

Last edited by aby_baby; November 15th, 2005 at 03:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:52 AM
viking's Avatar
viking viking is offline
Ass Kicker
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,624
viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby_baby
Yup no Kannada vedike. But I am sure young software pros arent exactly beaming at the thought of being thrashed by shiv sena goons for celebrating V-day.

Secondly infrastructure is only part of the deal. Infotech is all about skilled manpower. Where are you going to get the people from to Nashik?

It is not coincidence that Bangalore developed as an IT city and not any other city. Simply because all IT companies in late 80s and early 90s found a ready supply of manpower. And yah not those good for nothing passouts from dime a dozen engg colleges like Babbanrao dhone variety.
Getting thrashed for celebrating Valentine's day is much better than getting thrashed for being employed while being an outsider!

Well if you did not know Nashik has several Multinationals like Siemens, ABB etc already and they dont have any problem bringing in engineers. Even places like Sinnar (satellite town of Nashik) has giants like L&T etc.

Nashik has it's own engineering college and multinationals as well as local companies like TCS,Tata Infotech,Infosys do campus recruitment.(FYI)
__________________
Viking Kicking Ass - One Post At A Time
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:12 AM
ShivSainik's Avatar
ShivSainik ShivSainik is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,253
ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Bangalore roads.....

http://bangalorepothole.com/
__________________
"Once you start thinking too much about your place in history, you're at a point where you're no longer trying as hard as you should be"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:17 AM
aby_baby's Avatar
aby_baby aby_baby is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 580
aby_baby is on a distinguished road
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking
Getting thrashed for celebrating Valentine's day is much better than getting thrashed for being employed while being an outsider!
oh really. Now ask your neighboring fellow who has a girlfriend would he like to get thrashed for celebrating V-day. That was an outright moronic statement

Quote:
Well if you did not know Nashik has several Multinationals like Siemens, ABB etc already and they dont have any problem bringing in engineers. Even places like Sinnar (satellite town of Nashik) has giants like L&T etc.

Nashik has it's own engineering college and multinationals as well as local companies like TCS,Tata Infotech,Infosys do campus recruitment.(FYI)
Do you ever do any sort of analysis of how businesses. If you knew even a small iota of that you wouldnt make these kind of stupid statements.

Bringing a few fresh engineers into an already established manufacturing setup like ABB and Siemens is totally different from establishing a brand new IT setup with thousands of professionals.

Yup I can get thousands of engineers from all parts of India. If engineers coming out of campus dictate the success of a company then Pilani and Kharagpur should have hosted a few IT companies by now.

To run a successful firm you need MANAGERS. Where the hell are you going to find them in Nashik? You are right I can get 500 freshers out of colleges in villages outside Nashik. But will I get 50 good managers? You will ultimately have to find them in Bangalore and Chennai. Why the hell will a manager relocate from Bangalore or Chennai to Nashik?

Secondly companies have sunk huge amount of investment in their centers in Bangalore. You think they are idiots to move them overnight to other places? Who will pay for that? Mah Govt might give land free what about other expenses? And last I checked there isnt much difference between wages of Nashik and Bangalore for it to be a profitable proposition.

Why do you think they are still putting up with the bad infrastructure in Bangalore. They might make noise about moving but nobody will move. Politicians know this and are taking everyone for a ride.
__________________
Is this really needed??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:24 AM
viking's Avatar
viking viking is offline
Ass Kicker
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,624
viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby_baby
To run a successful firm you need MANAGERS. Where the hell are you going to find them in Nashik?
Oh so now you want us to believe that all those multinationals are running in Nashik without managers? So you are trying to get moronic is it?

And listen up buddy a manager does not have to be someone from Madras or Bangalore! Maharashtra has it's own good people. I'm sure many Maharashtrians would love to get back from Bangalore (where they could get bashed by south Indian hoodlums) to Nashik.Your statement to that effect was downright dravidian racist!

If IT industry can grow in Calcutta, inspite of the Communists, I'm sure it can grow in Nashik as well.
__________________
Viking Kicking Ass - One Post At A Time
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:44 AM
aby_baby's Avatar
aby_baby aby_baby is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 580
aby_baby is on a distinguished road
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking
Oh so now you want us to believe that all those multinationals are running in Nashik without managers? So you are trying to get moronic is it?
Hell did I ever say that manufacturing plants in Nashik are running without managers.

I am sure you cant be that stupid. You mean you are going to hire a Manager who runs a Siemens manufacturing plant and then ask him to run an IT company. God save the firm if that happens.

Are there IT managers in Nashik. There aren't many the last I checked.

Quote:
And listen up buddy a manager does not have to be someone from Madras or Bangalore! Maharashtra has it's own good people. I'm sure many Maharashtrians would love to get back from Bangalore (where they could get bashed by south Indian hoodlums) to Nashik.Your statement to that effect was downright dravidian racist!
Sonny I live in the city of Bangalore. I dont know many who have lived here for more than a decade who want to go back. Irrespective of the bad infrastructure and the place they are from originally. It is not true of Bangalore alone it is true of almost any place. It is tough to make someone move in his or her middle age. Especially if there is no compelling reason to do so.

Oh yeah you want to believe that a mid level manager who most likely would be in his or her late 30s, has property and has school going kids in Bangalore Chennai or Pune is going to drop everything and move to Nashik. Who in his right frame of mind will do that?

Quote:
If IT industry can grow in Calcutta, inspite of the Communists, I'm sure it can grow in Nashik as well.
Yup it can grow in Nashik no doubt. But yeah dont hope for companies to shut shops in Bangalore and move there. It aint gonna work. Nothing stops you from dreaming though

Developing the Industry in Calcutta took a decade. So you wait till 2015 at least.
__________________
Is this really needed??

Last edited by aby_baby; November 15th, 2005 at 04:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:56 AM
2gud's Avatar
2gud 2gud is offline
We change, values don't
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,037
2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

As one who has worked in the capacity of senior consultant and even managed projects in a reputed Indian firm, I can highlight some points in case from my experience...

1. The key resources which form the backbone of any IT company are people who have more than a couple of years experience in their respective fields. Among these a good part of people managing the projects are those who are working with the company for more than a couple of years. These people certainly own properties - houses, cars; have relatives and near and dear in Bangalore. If you take these people out of any company, it can't run even a single day as these are the people who are having customer facing, know eacn and every intricacy about their project and are subject matter experts in their respective domains.

Relocating these people is next to impossible, if a company indeed tries to relocate, then these people will be the first to leave to other companies. So Infosys' loss will become Wipro, TCS, Satyam or Patni's gain.

2. Relocating a company means not just thinking in terms of infrastructure - roads, connectivity etc, only. It also means upsetting the affected projects, convincing and justifying the change to the affected customers (who may be reluctant in case of production support and security issues), getting the current experienced people on the board (most of them won't be willing, and those who does will only be willing for deputation with extra allowances for a few months not for years).

3. Only new projects can be relocated and that too with the understanding that a few experienced people on deputation would be leading a team of freshers who will be willing to work from any location / or the location to which the company is shifting the project. This kind of thing cannot be done to existing projects for the reasons cited in points 1 and 2.

4. Most of the resistance will come from the people managing the projects, they will be the first to leave the company if their projects are shifted. Getting an experienced person for a new position is quite difficult nowadays, also it does not justify to lose project specific knowledge to another company as that may lead to loss of the project itself.

So I second aby_baby's argument that nothing existing will be shifted out of Bangalore come what may, only new projects will be shifted to any new location, which can be any - Mysore, Pune, Hyderabad, depending on core team availability.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:02 AM
viking's Avatar
viking viking is offline
Ass Kicker
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,624
viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby_baby
Hell did I ever say that manufacturing plants in Nashik are running without managers.
Well you sounded as though you did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby_baby
I am sure you cant be that stupid. You mean you are going to hire a Manager who runs a Siemens manufacturing plant and then ask him to run an IT company. God save the firm if that happens.
Hell you sure are stupid from what I know most managers for these 'manufacturing' companies are NOT from Nashik..moreover even most workers are from Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby_baby
Are there IT managers in Nashik. There aren't many the last I checked.
Keep checking you might find them there soon.How would one expect any IT managers if there is no IT industry there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby_baby
Sonny I live in the city of Bangalore. I dont know many who have lived here for more than a decade who want to go back. Irrespective of the bad infrastructure and the place they are from originally. It is not true of Bangalore alone it is true of almost any place. It is tough to make someone move in his or her middle age. Especially if there is no compelling reason to do so.
You dont know those people but I do. I pitch your words against mine. The reson could get compelling if the current Kangress govt allows those Vedike goons to go on a rampage. Was it imaginable that the great Kannadiga Narayana Murthy would be fed up with Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby_baby
Oh yeah you want to believe that a mid level manager who most likely would be in his or her late 30s, has property and has school going kids in Bangalore Chennai or Pune is going to drop everything and move to Nashik. Who in his right frame of mind will do that?
Not everyone has a static mind set like yours!


Quote:
Originally Posted by aby_baby
Yup it can grow in Nashik no doubt. But yeah dont hope for companies to shut shops in Bangalore and move there. It aint gonna work. Nothing stops you from dreaming though
Nothing stops you from dreaming too! Does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby_baby
Developing the Industry in Calcutta took a decade. So you wait till 2015 at least.
With it's violent trade union history it took a decade you say. I'll bet Nashik could do that in half the time considering it's success story in other manufacturing industries.
__________________
Viking Kicking Ass - One Post At A Time

Last edited by viking; November 15th, 2005 at 05:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:11 AM
aby_baby's Avatar
aby_baby aby_baby is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 580
aby_baby is on a distinguished road
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Too good 2gud. You hit the nail on the head.

I really pity this guy for scanning all the papers for the bad news about Bangalore and posting it here. Hate mongering has to have its limits I believe.

1. Bangalores IT growth wasnt by chance. There is more to it. Before IT Bangalore was and is still home to really good Public Sector research firms like DRDO, ISRO, NAL, HAL etc. So companies starting operations in 80s and 90s didnt have problems luring good dissatisfied people from these PSUs.

2. Projects cant be moved lock stock and barrel from Bangalore to any other city in India. Key people won't move because they have made huge personal investments in the city. And this being a labour short Industry it wont take much for them to find another job in the same city.

Moving it from US to India worked because of the wage savings of more than 80 percent. Most of the cases a few senior guys were deputed from US to India to start a team after which they returned to US. Extra expenses incurred in terms of moving costs and training new people was easily recoverable because of cost advantages. None of the conditions are true when moving between Indian Cities.

3. Thirdly most companies except a few big ones follow small incremental growth model. Take Philips for example. It has about 2000 people working out of its Bangalore Campus. It wants to increase it to 2500 next year. It cant move the extra 500 to any city outside Bangalore simply because it wont get the senior people to move there. Companies like Infosys can start work on a new project it gets in a new city. It will never work for smaller and mid sized companies.
__________________
Is this really needed??
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:22 AM
aby_baby's Avatar
aby_baby aby_baby is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 580
aby_baby is on a distinguished road
Re: Infosys Invited To Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking

Hell you sure are stupid from what I know most managers for these 'manufacturing' companies are NOT from Nashik..moreover even most workers are from Mumbai.
It is a manufacturing firm. Managers dont have a choice. Go to Nashik or find another job. Even if he does another manufacturing plant is likely to be in similar rural area. And I know how easy it is to find a job in Manufacturing. I am sure you have a little commonsense to understand the difference between IT industry and manufacturing.

Quote:
You dont know those people but I do. I pitch your words against mine. The reson could get compelling if the current Kangress govt allows those Vedike goons to go on a rampage. Was it imaginable that the great Kannadiga Narayana Murthy would be fed up with Bangalore?

Yup every single Bangalorean is fed up of the infrastructure here. But has he even moved a single project out of Bangalore. Till that day keep on dreaming.

At least I live in real world where I know nobody has moved out, and everyone is trying to pressurise the morons ruling the state to improve stuff over here. While you live in your dreamland hoping for things to come to you. Go back to your dream world
__________________
Is this really needed??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cocktail recipes invited Cooldude Recipe Corner 59 January 5th, 2010 09:16 AM
Suggestions invited for the new administration Moderator 2 Feedback 22 March 31st, 2007 07:52 PM
Guys...ur views invited... Decent_Guy SoapBox 98 December 7th, 2003 03:47 AM
You are invited by Pervert Musshharough arun SoapBox 2 September 29th, 2001 04:15 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Copyright © eCharcha.Com 2000-2012.