eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Puzzles

Notices

Puzzles Oh those mind bending brain twisters!

Old November 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute
Russian Roulette: An interesting Interview Puzzle

"Let's play a game of Russian roulette," begins one interview stunt that is going the rounds at Wall Street investment banks. "You are tied to your chair and can't get up. Here's a gun. Here's the barrel of the gun, six chambers, all empty. Now watch me as I put two bullets in the gun. See how I put them in two adjacent chambers? I close the barrel and spin it. I put the gun to your head and pull the trigger. Click. You're still alive. Lucky you! Now, before we discuss your résumé, I'm going to pull the trigger one more time. Which would you prefer, that I spin the barrel first, or that I just pull the trigger?"

Anybody wanna give a shot?
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Russian Roulette: An interesting Interview Puzzle

Technically speaking, after spinning the barrel, if the 1st person survives the first turn, then he would be better off to not spin the barrel, because it is very likely that

(1) either the first bullet is in the next chamber and the second person would die
or
(2) either the remaining 3 of the 4 empty chambers is the next and in that case ??

Yeh saala quechan hi galat hai?
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Proud LLKC member

Considering the six possible positions of the bullet in the barrel:

(1) B B E E E E
(2) E B B E E E
(3) E E B B E E
(4) E E E B B E
(5) E E E E B B
(6) B E E E E B

Since I survived the first shot, we can ignore 1 and 6. So then my chances of survival is 3 in 4 which is better than if I were to spin the barrel ... Look ...

(2) B B E E E
(3) E B B E E
(4) E E B B E
(5) E E E B B

Oh so easy
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:36 AM
loin.....loin cloth

laal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai
Considering the six possible positions of the bullet in the barrel:

(1) B B E E E E
(2) E B B E E E
(3) E E B B E E
(4) E E E B B E
(5) E E E E B B
(6) B E E E E B

Since I survived the first shot, we can ignore 1 and 6. So then my chances of survival is 3 in 4 which is better than if I were to spin the barrel ... Look ...

(2) B B E E E
(3) E B B E E
(4) E E B B E
(5) E E E B B

Oh so easy
Ok...Landu pai...so what is the puzzle that we have to solve?
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Banned

HarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud of

No way!! I think you should spin..

It's all about probability right?

Dont spin: 3 empty and 2 bullets.
Spin: 4 empty and 2 bullets...

Probability of landing on empty is higher with SPIN.
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarHarMahaDev

OK after the first shot, we may have the following 4 possible positions of the bullet:

(2) B B E E E
(3) E B B E E
(4) E E B B E
(5) E E E B B

You agree with that rite??

Then Lets assume we spin (assuming the same fixed clockwise turns only,that was implicit when the first shot was fired), say by one position, then we will have, the following 4 other possible positions:

(2) B E E E B
(3) B B E E E
(4) E B B E E
(5) E E B B E

So, two in 4 chances to survive ... which means, I would be better off not go for a spin You can perform the analysis similarly if the barrel was spun one more position ahead (clockwise) (which means two positions in total)

Last edited by landyaBhai; November 8th, 2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laal_langot
Ok...Landu pai...so what is the puzzle that we have to solve?
Laal Pai, I dont know, because I think I have solved it correctly although HHMD thinks otherwise
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:16 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Harhare .. I think Landya is right . U have a better chance of surviving if he doesnt spin . coz if u spin u effectively made the event of the second shot independent of the first shot . hence u will again have the same scenario as in the first event.
if u dont spin , ur chances of survival increases to 75% from 60%
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

HarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSpeaks
Harhare .. I think Landya is right . U have a better chance of surviving if he doesnt spin . coz if u spin u effectively made the event of the second shot independent of the first shot . hence u will again have the same scenario as in the first event.
if u dont spin , ur chances of survival increases to 75% from 60%
Yes...u and LB are right!! It is a nice trick question..

....not in my zone today!!!
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Yes...u and LB are right!! It is a nice trick question..

....not in my zone today!!!
actually this was an Interview question *supposedly* used by Microsoft interviewers when they were recruiting during their start-up days ...
Old November 9th, 2006, 06:46 AM
loin.....loin cloth

laal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Laal Pai, I dont know, because I think I have solved it correctly although HHMD thinks otherwise
Thankyou for helping us not derail this self propelled rail landu pai...you are a great steering..may god bless you with more hydraulic power...
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
actually this was an Interview question *supposedly* used by Microsoft interviewers when they were recruiting during their start-up days ...
MS no more asks such questions now. People published books about how to crack MS interview etc, but they have shifted gears now and ask more specific questions.
Old November 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laal_langot
Thankyou for helping us not derail this self propelled rail landu pai...you are a great steering..may god bless you with more hydraulic power...
Laal Pai, hydraulic power aur bahut kuch chahiye steering ke liye ... tum logo ka supportwa ...
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

This was a good puzzle... bumping it up for those that haven't seen it before.

Old June 20th, 2014, 07:21 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

good puzzle. the answer is right but harharmahadev's point is logical too.