eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old April 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Junior eCharchan

indianrhyme is on a distinguished road
Why Sikhs Do Not Smoke?

Dear Friends

My question is not to hurt anyones feelings or against ny religion but i am eagerly want to know why sikhs do not smoke? when i had asked this to one of my friend thn he replied NASHA SIKHI MAIN MANA HAI but as per the record sikhs are badly famous for taking wine.Even some of the pags like PATIALA etc are named over them.
So if any one know the resaon do post it hereor must leave ur views
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why Sikhs Do Not Smoke?

Why fuk are you starting a thread in every forum for one topic?
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Idli Ninja

krishna has a reputation beyond reputekrishna has a reputation beyond reputekrishna has a reputation beyond reputekrishna has a reputation beyond reputekrishna has a reputation beyond reputekrishna has a reputation beyond reputekrishna has a reputation beyond reputekrishna has a reputation beyond reputekrishna has a reputation beyond reputekrishna has a reputation beyond reputekrishna has a reputation beyond repute

What a fucking stupid question!
Will you stand spread eagle and let all of us kick you in the nuts?
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM
eCharchan

bramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond repute

why post it in BREAKING NEWS?
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Banned

HarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud of

Why Sikhs don't smoke? ...because they haven't caught fire.
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

i) A Sikh should, in no way, harbour any antipathy to the hair of the head with which his child is born. He should not temper with the hair with which the child is born. He should add the suffix “Singh” to the name of his son. A Sikh should keep the hair of his sons and daughters intact.

(j) A Sikh must not take hemp (cannabis), opium, liquor, tobacco, in short any intoxicant. His only routine intake should be food.

(k) Piercing of the nose or ears for wearing ornaments is forbidden for Sikh men and women.

(l) A Sikh should not kill his daughter, nor should he maintain any relationship with a killer of daughter.

(m) The true Sikh of the Guru shall make an honest living by lawful work.

(n) A Sikh shall regard a poor person’s mouth as the Guru’s cash offerings box.

(o) A Sikh should not steal, form dubious associations or engage in gambling.

(p) He who regards another man’s daughter as his own daughter, regards another man’s wife as his mother, has coition with his own wife alone, he alone is a truly disciplined Sikh of the Guru.

(q) A Sikh shall observe the Sikh rules of conduct and conventions from his birth right upto the end of his life.

(r) A Sikh, when he meets another Sikh, should greet him with “Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh” [The Khalsa is Waheguru’s; victory too is His!]. This is ordained for Sikh men and women both.

(s) It is not proper for a Sikh woman to wear a veil or keep her face hidden by veil or cover.

(t) For a Sikh, there is no restriction or requirement as to dress except for he must wear Kachhehra [A drawer type garment fastened by a fitted string round the waist, very often worn as an underwear] and turban. A Sikh woman may or may not tie turban.

Next time use google
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

indianRhyme, I dont know whether to welcome you or ...

When you come to any internet forum, please take the time to learn the ettiquettes of that forum.

Why are you posting this one single topic in all forums? Do you think you will be welcome and make a good impression on all of us here? Dont act like a kid. If you want to know why Sikhs dont smoke, use Google and also post here - but only one topic in an appropriate forum.
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Lovey is a splendid one to beholdLovey is a splendid one to beholdLovey is a splendid one to beholdLovey is a splendid one to beholdLovey is a splendid one to beholdLovey is a splendid one to behold

One of my roomies in college was a surd and he use to smoke heavily ( though never in public , just inside the flat).Infact most of the Sikhs whom I have seen smoking do it chhup chhup kay , haalanki do chaar sardaar maine khullam khulla sutta maarte bhee dekhein hai.

Smoke or not smoke , I Am not bothered or concerned whether Sikh or non sikh / sick or non sick / this religion or that religion as long as you don't start sermoning others , specially me.

Neither does any smoker/ ex / present / nonsmoker enjoys any special regards / disregards from me .Your life , fcuk it as much as in your own self esteem you think you truely deserve.
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

I guess this is one thing they left Sardarnis (a female sardarji) to do.
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Proud Hindusthani

chirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to behold

cuz it makes them sick
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Ah! no no.. it is like this... Hindus are not supposed to eat meat(Vaishnavs).. Muslims are not supposed to drink liquor..... now Sikkhism is a relatively new religion...hardly 300 years old... so when the dos and don'ts list was being formed.... rulemmakers in order to give a distinct identity to their religion forabade smoking..

Old April 17th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag2000
cuz it makes them sick
kidhar ho yaar....?WC khatam hone ko aaya aur abhi tak chhupe baithe ho...
Old August 13th, 2015, 01:18 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Saw somebody reading this thread. And I must say I have wondered about this as well. I come from Punjab and know quite a bit about Sikhism, but this one evades me.

If all forms of intoxication are banned/frowned upon, why is it that smoking is such a big no no? Like drinking liquor, doing drugs are all being done but Sikhs do, much more often than not, refrain from smoking. Why? Why? Beats me.
Old August 13th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Saw somebody reading this thread. And I must say I have wondered about this as well. I come from Punjab and know quite a bit about Sikhism, but this one evades me.

If all forms of intoxication are banned/frowned upon, why is it that smoking is such a big no no? Like drinking liquor, doing drugs are all being done but Sikhs do, much more often than not, refrain from smoking. Why? Why? Beats me.
Its simple,tobacco is the worst of all the poison in the world.
Old August 13th, 2015, 01:36 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Its simple,tobacco is the worst of all the poison in the world.
Natural unprocessed tobacco is not, while processing it the cigarette companies add most of the poisons.

The intent of my question really is more about the how and not necessarily about the why. How were Sikhs able to implement this prohibiton effectively without making it even more tempting when a thing is prohibited? Is there a secret or just a fluke?