eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old August 13th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Senior eCharchan

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why Sikhs Do Not Smoke?

That’s what called power of religion, blind faith it may or may not be..

'Kill some animals' Holly book says,.. and people will do,.. Moslem scarifies goat,
Hindus even kill Owls on Laxmi pooja,
few lower community kills and scarifies pigs, dogs and what not !
, recent gadhi mayi's festival kills tons of cows..

In Punjab you will hardly find one paan-bedi’s dukaan after driving 3-5 miles,… as per I had heard decades ago..

5Ks - Kesh, Kirpan,…

Now who will let you, fly in a plane with Kirpaan, if you strictly stick to the religion ?

Producing the hairs and not cutting, is similar to those aghori hindu sadhu bawas which brings dirtiness, perspiration, bugs , worms, joos and what not !

However not piercing the body for any ornamental purpose, can be bought, reasonably.

In India , Sikhs are also eating stray pigs etc which even a Muslim may not... Patiyala peg, drugs.. and all other toxic they remain ahead in the queue..
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Natural unprocessed tobacco is not, while processing it the cigarette companies add most of the poisons.

The intent of my question really is more about the how and not necessarily about the why. How were Sikhs able to implement this prohibiton effectively without making it even more tempting when a thing is prohibited? Is there a secret or just a fluke?
Is it ? I thought tobacco is bad in every form.
Hope the peaceful people dont come to know the secret of the Sikh's implementation or they would use the same technic for implementing something else
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:51 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Is it ? I thought tobacco is bad in every form.
It is bad indeed but not much worst than liquor or drugs. All are different forms so can't be compared quantitatively. I was talking more about most common form of tobacco consumption, cigarettes are poison the way tobacco is processed. I'm happy about E-cigarettes All the nicotine one needs without the smoke, more like hukkah. Europeans have almost stopped smoking conventional cigs.

Had to look this up to check what I was saying was correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehow
Cigarettes are generally made with a chemical tobacco, while pipe tobacco is more natural. While there are a few brands of natural cigarettes, they are expensive and hard to find, and most people prefer the chemically enhanced name brand options that are out there.

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; August 13th, 2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is bad indeed but not much worst than liquor or drugs. All are different forms so can't be compared quantitatively. I was talking more about most common form of tobacco consumption, cigarettes are poison the way tobacco is processed. I'm happy about E-cigarettes All the nicotine one needs without the smoke, more like hukkah. Europeans have almost stopped smoking conventional cigs.

Had to look this up to check what I was saying was correct.
I really dont agree with you over tobacco,tobacco is bad in each and everyway,each and every form it is consumed.
Liquor,drugs are consumed in limits(you cross a limit and you lose your senses) but tobacco has no limit.
The addictive property of tobacco is worst,u cant drink all the time but you can smoke thruout the day.
A chronic alcoholic can stay away from drinks for a few hours to a few days but a tobacco addict cannot control his urges even for an hour.
Old August 14th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If all forms of intoxication are banned/frowned upon, why is it that smoking is such a big no no? Like drinking liquor, doing drugs are all being done but Sikhs do, much more often than not, refrain from smoking. Why? Why? Beats me.
I am surprised ek sardar hokey you did not know the reason for this. It is very simple. One of the main tenets of sikhism is not to cut hair. And because of this reason you will see that every sardar has a beard. Now, how do you smoke a cigarette? You need to light it... yes, with a fire. Have you ever smelt burnt hair? Possibly one of the worst smells that you can ever smell. Now tell me, which sardar would be foolish enough to want to smell this hourly

"If you are unsure of what happened in the past and what is happening in the present then how can you be sure of what will happen tomorrow?" - saneless
Old August 14th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Banned

Mihir15 is on a distinguished road

That's not a good reason for not to smoke,.....
Hindu sadhu bawas, aghoris and nagabawas also keep baal, daadhi and moochh. a meters long
and still smoke with charas, afeem, nasha, gaaynja, dhooni-dhakha and tobaccos..

Sardz also remain most dirty and gabad-ganda ( aaaakthooo - Yuckie-yuck ) with lost of hair on chest and sweaty and perspiration.. etc..

If you had seen recent Comedy night with Kapil show of Gawaskar on the show,.. half episode was about how Navjot was remaing dirty, ganda, not changing shirts for months and weeks and gobad-gandaa and such,... half show took that issue, which Gawaskar had narrated,...

Also even today, before he shakes hand with anybody, he will tonguw-wet his fingers with thoonk and then will shake hand with amitabh,... or anybody,.. it looks on camera so dirty, gannda, Chutyapa, insulting and like pissing on one's face,...

Why Sikhs are such most gandaa and gabad-gotta community ?

That CEO of mastercard guy also does the same?
Old August 14th, 2015, 12:28 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
I am surprised ek sardar hokey you did not know the reason for this. It is very simple. One of the main tenets of sikhism is not to cut hair. And because of this reason you will see that every sardar has a beard. Now, how do you smoke a cigarette? You need to light it... yes, with a fire. Have you ever smelt burnt hair? Possibly one of the worst smells that you can ever smell. Now tell me, which sardar would be foolish enough to want to smell this hourly
That must be, especially coming from a Tamil Sardar.

And it goes well with my explanation of why well built strong sardars make for good cricket spin bowlers, while tieing the turban they get accustomed to various angles and inclinations of rotating their wrists.
Old August 15th, 2015, 08:13 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If all forms of intoxication are banned/frowned upon, why is it that smoking is such a big no no? Like drinking liquor, doing drugs are all being done but Sikhs do, much more often than not, refrain from smoking. Why? Why? Beats me.
My Theory is that Liquor is such it cannot be avoided. many instances.
1. You see lot of Brhmins avoid non veg but still into drinking
2. There are a lot more peaceful guys who drink (apparently Maulana Azad also used to drink)than have pork.
Sardarjis just follow the same 'theory.
Old August 15th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is bad indeed but not much worst than liquor or drugs.
If by liquor , you mean hard liquor , then this is true to some extent.
I think smoking is done more openly and regularly by addicts than liquor or drugs by their respective addicts.
Smoking impacts others as well.
Liquor or drugs if done within a limit , can be harmless or in some cases beneficial. Smoking has no such traits. It is always harmful.
Old August 15th, 2015, 09:58 AM

Smoking is not worse for others compared to drugs or liquor, men don't get high on cigarettes and hit others, or snatch money from day laborer wife to go and smoke, or under the influence drive and kill a school bus full of kids, drugs and liquor weaken the whole society and country.
Old August 15th, 2015, 10:58 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
If by liquor , you mean hard liquor , then this is true to some extent.
I think smoking is done more openly and regularly by addicts than liquor or drugs by their respective addicts.
Smoking impacts others as well.
Liquor or drugs if done within a limit , can be harmless or in some cases beneficial. Smoking has no such traits. It is always harmful.
Quote:
Smoking is not worse for others compared to drugs or liquor, men don't get high on cigarettes and hit others, or snatch money from day laborer wife to go and smoke, or under the influence drive and kill a school bus full of kids, drugs and liquor weaken the whole society and country.

My own Libran take- i am not bringing drugs into the mix here*.

1. Drinking is less addictive than smoking, or for that matter coffee, unless you are an alcoholic, in which case it is your downfall.
2. Smokers do not harm others like examples mentioned by Shakti Pai, but in case they smoke in presence of other people, they do harm their lungs.

Anyway, bit of these have been going on for a long time.

So, enjoy your poison and dont drink and drive and smoke only in designated areas (else Pandus can catch you anyways).
*The closest i have been there is some Bhang 25 years back.
Old August 15th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ab yeh to alag baat hi ho gayee.