eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Technology

Notices

Technology Discuss all things technology that dont fit in the Computing forum...

Old November 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In search of water ... Moon and the Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar
they don't happen
Or they are 2gud to happen.

I know it is a PJ but nevertheless...
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
We change, values don't

2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
SR-71 was made entirely in USA....so is that private plane and rocket combo by Burt Rutan

Just because you do not know of advances in rocket technology does not mean that they don't happen
I am not talking about turbojet propulsion used in aricrafts but rocket propulsion technology as used in rockets placing satellites in orbit.. read my post again...

I was just joking that US advanced in early days (around and after WWII) a lot more because of its open arms policy for scientists/engineers from other nations. I am aware of the immense and single handed contribution of US based research in modern times, all I was talking about was of basic, original and path breaking technologies of early years which laid path for numerous improvisations.
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gud
I am not talking about turbojet propulsion used in aricrafts but rocket propulsion technology as used in rockets placing satellites in orbit.. read my post again...

I was just joking that US advanced in early days (around and after WWII) a lot more because of its open arms policy for scientists/engineers from other nations. I am aware of the immense and single handed contribution of US based research in modern times, all I was talking about was of basic, original and path breaking technologies of early years which laid path for numerous improvisations.
SR-71 does not use just turbojet

Accept that you don't know dick about aerospace stuff

Ever heard of Robert Goddard (of Worcester, MA) and Jack Parsons (of Throop Institute of Technology....now known as Caltech)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Goddard

In 1919, the Smithsonian Institution published Goddard's groundbreaking work, A Method of Reaching Extreme Altitudes. The book describes Goddard's mathematical theories of rocket flight, his research in solid-fuel and liquid-fuel rockets, and the possibilities he saw of exploring the earth and beyond. Along with Konstantin Tsiolkovsky's earlier work, The Exploration of Cosmic Space by Means of Reaction Devices (1903), Goddard's book is regarded as one of the pioneering works of the science of rocketry, and is believed to have influenced the work of German pioneers Hermann Oberth and Wernher von Braun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Parsons

The former was a pioneer in liquid rocket propulsion (and ahead of Germans)...it is alleged that von Braun was aware of his developments and used it in V-2's. Goddard was paranoid about his research (rightly so) being stolen by corporate world (and academia) and so was not quite eager to share his research with others. If Hitler had not unleashed V-2s, nobody would have known von Braun.

As for the solid rocket motor technology goes, Jack Parsons was the man in USA (who also is a founder of Aerojet)....Germans were not quite good with solid rocket motors and therefore the V-2s were all liquid rockets. On the other hand, Soviets were much advanced in their solid rocketry (but for shorter range) and that resulted in their effective use against Germans...a la Katyusha

Last edited by dhurandhar; November 14th, 2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:04 AM
We change, values don't

2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
SR-71 does not use just turbojet

Accept that you don't know dick about aerospace stuff

Ever heard of Robert Goddard (of Worcester, MA) and Jack Parsons (of Throop Institute of Technology....now known as Caltech)?
Oh yeah, you just proved that you know dick about aerospace stuff quoting from wikipedia while I was simply recollecting a documentary that I saw couple of years back... btw no one seems to have noticed that JPL was founded well before Braun arrived on the scene

don't make an ass out of yourself by confusing between rocket propulsion (which doesn't need ambient air) and turbojet used in aircraft.. turbojets/ramjets don't operate in vacuum

I said blackbird uses turbojet (did I say "only"), my point was to bring to the notice of your numb head that the discussion till you butted in was on rocket propulsion which relies on its own oxidizing mix for combustion and which has nothing to do with ambient air...

and don't drag my posts into irrelevant issues, I was only talking about early innovations in this field of extra terrestrial rockets , while you are quoting more recent developments on an irrelevant aircraft technology...

wtf
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh yeah, you just proved that you know dick about aerospace stuff quoting from wikipedia while I was simply recollecting a documentary that I saw couple of years back... btw no one seems to have noticed that JPL was founded well before Braun arrived on the scene

don't make an ass out of yourself by confusing between rocket propulsion (which doesn't need ambient air) and turbojet used in aircraft.. turbojets/ramjets don't operate in vacuum

I said blackbird uses turbojet (did I say "only"), my point was to bring to the notice of your numb head that the discussion till you butted in was on rocket propulsion which relies on its own oxidizing mix for combustion and which has nothing to do with ambient air...

and don't drag my posts into irrelevant issues, I was only talking about early innovations in this field of extra terrestrial rockets , while you are quoting more recent developments on an irrelevant aircraft technology...

wtf

If you think I am using only Wikipedia...you are wrong...its just that Wiki is convenient outlet to cite. My sources are books and journals in rocketry but to upload things here will be violation of copyright. Therefore the Wikipedia

My source is, "The Wind and Beyond" by Todor von Karman (aka Theodor von Karman) and Lee Edson. This is an autobiography of Todor von Karman (of the von Karman vortex street fame) as dictated to Lee Edson by von Karman himself

I am not confused between turbojet and rockets. Its just that you made a blanket statement about superiority of German and Japanese engineering which is wrong no matter what way you look at it. That may be correct for automobiles but not for every engineering there is

Last edited by dhurandhar; November 14th, 2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi
Dhurendherbhai ... how dare I disagree with you ... look around you here at echarcha.com ... ids taking on own personal personalities and the perks.

2Gudbhai ... BhaYa ... rocket science will take you to the moon ... you need a bit more than Casio watch technology to do stuff I quoted in 2nd post above (or is it below).

Ok .... 2Gudbhai ... I will you have your way ... rocket engineering you say ... fine. Now explain me this cause I can find none at Google.

You heard and read of famous pen ... Aldrin's famous pen incident abroad lunar landing module.

I come back in a while ... sorry. Got to go

edit/add: Sorry BhaYa.

We all heard of famous pen incident. I think originated from Aldrin and Armstrong never denied it. Getting dressed to land on the moon surface ... something went wrong and a pin ... important pin or a knob something ... came off. Anyway ... when they returned back in to the lunar landing module ... found knob or the pin missing ... shit ... we're doomed for life here on moon . Not so fast ... As the legend goes ... Buzz Aldrin had a bright idea ... per the legend ... he was carrying a pen ... no not a pencil but pen the kind which will leak and soil your shirt at high altitudes (now don't ask me why was he carrying a pen cause I don't know ... to sign autographs for throngs of little moon people waiting for them to land ... perhaps) ... anyway ... he inserted the pen inside the missing pin/knob hole to start the engines or something of sort. Something like one of your laptop keys went mising and you used pen to press it to type. Wonderful ... pen saved the day.

Now ... 2Gudbhai ... help me out. Lunar module ... if as you said was all engneering marvel of rocket science ... must have weighed at least a thousand kilos to be able to carry two full sized adults? Billions of dollars at stack ... life of two good men hanging on a thread ... and they did not provide them with a little pouch of few phillips, screw drivers, couple of pliers, a soldering gun ... fu(k all that ... how about a swiss knife? Nothing. What if Adrin did not carry that little pen?

My 35 year old Hyundai car came with pliers, set of screw drivers, tire repairing kit, pillows, blankets and couple of towels. Billion dollars and not even a swiss knife?

ALL I am saying is ... we know what they want us to know ... we know shit.
Prove that this is not hearsay
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:12 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean
Had this not worked, the Lunar Module circuitry could have been reconfigured to allow firing the ascent engine
I check your link later during lunch ... reconfigure the ascent engine ... had to be with the help of felt tip pen cause they had no pouch of screw drivers nor swiss knife? or with computers on board? Computers with technology of a Casio watch. Or with the help of laptop back at the control center? With the help of laptop which also handled the mother ship as well as all the communications and video conferencing between husbands and the wives.

2Gudbhai ... who will deny engineering innovations and the rocket science which is what made take off and the journey possible ... please do give me a break ... how foolish I will have to be to argue with you.

Can I come back to you letter?
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:13 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Prove that this is not hearsay
On my part or Aldrin's? I don't get it ...

Old November 14th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
there is no competition or nations outsmarting each other, people and government are less interested in space exploration than they were in 60s. So it is not the technology but the will.
Sir ... beg to disagree ... please let me.

China is preparing to land on the moon ... there has to be more than showmanship involved ... Chinese are not known to try and keep up appearances for the sake of Johnses.

What is this with space station ... years of jamellas ... daily life-threatening technical and machanical issues ... billions of dollars ... yaars.

Why was it not possible to use moon as a base to set up the station ... man has already landed on the moon ... would have been cheaper ... far less complicated ... easier ... saved billions and years ... use base on the moon to infiltrate rest of the unknown?

Old November 15th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

Quote:
Sir ... beg to disagree ... please let me.

China is preparing to land on the moon ... there has to be more than showmanship involved ... Chinese are not known to try and keep up appearances for the sake of Johnses.

What is this with space station ... years of jamellas ... daily life-threatening technical and machanical issues ... billions of dollars ... yaars.

Why was it not possible to use moon as a base to set up the station ... man has already landed on the moon ... would have been cheaper ... far less complicated ... easier ... saved billions and years ... use base on the moon to infiltrate rest of the unknown?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna..._Space_Station

Space Station is an orbiting scientific lab......a relatively cheap place to do experiments as compared to doing them on moon. Space exploration is not fun with humans, especially when you do not know what is out there. Therefore, Pioneer, Voyager and others.

Also, why would USA want to share its secrets of moon travel with Russia/China/India or even France/Japan and lose its superiority in space exploration?

Using base on the moon is easier said than done...and then there were better things to do like keeping Soviets in check on earth, destroying Soviets in Afghanistan etc.
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Also, why would USA want to share its secrets of moon travel with Russia
If there were any ... Russians would have followed long ago instead of sending wired monekys for some sair sapata.

edit/add and rats and rodents.

Last edited by tantric_yogi; November 15th, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

Quote:
If there were any ... Russians would have followed long ago instead of sending wired monekys for some sair sapata.

edit/add and rats and rodents.
AFAIK, Soviets never sent wired monkeys/rat/rodents to moon...that was before Gagarin was sent up in space

Soviets did send a few unmanned spacecrafts, notably Lunokhods to get data about the moon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunokhod

If it were not for the combustion instability plaguing their rocket engines, Soviets would have sent man to moon earlier than USA

Last edited by dhurandhar; November 16th, 2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
AFAIK, Soviets never sent wired monkeys/rat/rodents to moon...that was before Gagarin was sent up in space

Soviets did send a few unmanned spacecrafts, notably Lunokhods to get data about the moon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunokhod

If it were not for the combustion instability plaguing their rocket engines, Soviets would have sent man to moon earlier than USA
Yes Ö I believe so.

Facts at finger tips ... for 60/70 percent of good memory and ability to quick re-call ... I envy ... 2Gudbhau's ... and yours ... good fortune and excellent genetic pool, I believe.

What's this with your sudden fondness for providing links?

And one more thing ... you are letting your guards down ... rain after a long drought which I thought will never end ... you unintentionally seem to have agreed upon something I mentioned earlier. Please be careful ... does your reputation no good.

Old November 16th, 2007, 03:00 AM

Talking Re: In search of water ... Moon and the Mars

Tantric Yogi: ALL I am saying is ... we know what they want us to know ... we know shit.

Dhurenderbhai: Also, why would USA want to share its secrets of moon travel ....

Old November 16th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

Quote:
Tantric Yogi: ALL I am saying is ... we know what they want us to know ... we know shit.

Dhurenderbhai: Also, why would USA want to share its secrets of moon travel ....
The secrets of manned space travel to moon.

It seems to me that you are trying to resurrect the buried question (here on ec) that "Did man really go to moon?"