eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Literary > Book reviews

Notices

Book reviews Write up a review of a book you read recently, be it fiction, non-fiction or even technical

Old January 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
What book are you all reading?

I just finished Toss of a Lemon by Padma Viswanathan. It was a good read.
I am going to start Atlas Shrugged, again. I have read it so many times but dont seem to get bored with Ayn Rand.

Any one read any interesting books lately? If yes, I would really appreciate if you could share the titles.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What book are you all reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I just finished Toss of a Lemon by Padma Viswanathan. It was a good read.
I am going to start Atlas Shrugged, again. I have read it so many times but dont seem to get bored with Ayn Rand.

Any one read any interesting books lately? If yes, I would really appreciate if you could share the titles.

I reread "Dreams from my Father" and am about to start reading "Audacity of hope" I am going to read "Kite Runner" again soon.

Ayn Rand? Are you thinking of starting a cult here on EC??
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28virgo View Post
I reread "Dreams from my Father" and am about to start reading "Audacity of hope" I am going to read "Kite Runner" again soon.

Ayn Rand? Are you thinking of starting a cult here on EC??
Oh Kahled Hosseni...I loved Kite Runner..did you read his other book Thousand Splendid Suns as well? Even that made a great read.

no cult here !!
I love her works...but lets not get in to Rand. My love for Howard Roark has got me into trouble with people many a time and I dont want that happening here again
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

I am reading 'In high places' by Arthur Hailey

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:44 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I am reading "Living with The Himalayan Masters" by Swami Rama...
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Senior eCharchan

pakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond repute

Reading "The Roots" by Alex Haley.. coincidentally started reading it just after Obama's inauguration and now am spell bound.

A must read I say...

Loud and Proud LLKC member since infinity and beyond

Loud but not so Proud IDLE
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Banned

max de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud of

I am Rereading Perfect Questions Perfect Answers....by A. C. Bhaktivedanta swami
Also Available online

after that planning to read...Life come from Life...by A. C. Bhaktivedanta swami
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished "Bridges of madison county"...aaaarghhh...such a crappy, crassy, cheesy book...all along I was hoping that story would pick up but it never did...I dont know how did it manage to sell so much...I heard the movie was a big hit too..

Currently re-reading "The Romantics(Pankaj Mishra)" and" "Satanic Verses(Rushdie)". Also going through "The Honey Thief(Elizabeth Graver)"....

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Junior eCharchan

IRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Oh Kahled Hosseni...I loved Kite Runner..did you read his other book Thousand Splendid Suns as well? Even that made a great read.

no cult here !!
I love her works...but lets not get in to Rand. My love for Howard Roark has got me into trouble with people many a time and I dont want that happening here again
I have read Kite Runner and now reading Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseni.Both are worth reading.But i think Kite Runner is better than the other.Also i started reading Brida by Paulo Coelho but did'nt found it interesting.
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshp View Post
I am reading 'In high places' by Arthur Hailey
I read Hailey’s books and liked Hotel and Airport the best. Which one do you like?

Iris, I agree with you regards to Paulo's books. I couldn’t complete any of his books. Same applies to Salman Rushdie. I read most of his books but didn’t enjoy any, including his recent Enchantress of Florence. I dont know why I force myself to read his books.

Next I am going to read Shantaram followed by Time Travelers Wife. Any one read these yet?
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished reading "The Last Pope" by some portuguese author, who claims his book is based on truth of what happened to the 1-month pope of 1978, as revealed by the murderer to him.

Have to see what the library has to offer next. Currently reading the latest offerings from Crutchfield

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute

I am reading "The Man who Divided India" by Rafiq Zakaria. It is a nice book and would recommend to ppl who haven't read it.
Also I am in the middle of Reading Stephen King's " The Green Mile " series. I have read the first two books, and will start the other one as soon as I finish the one I am reading.
If any one likes Stephen Kings book, then try "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" it is nice and keeps u on toys.

Old January 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

about a boy-nick hornby...i saw the movie first and now reading the book..and the book is way better than the movie
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

If you can... try reading the book "The White Tiger"... by some Indian author... or maybe Sri Lankan (name is Sri Lankeeeeesh). The writing style of this book reminded me very much of one of our own... yes, Tanreeekyogi pai... ru ba ru... same style of writing. Was going to mention it before... but it slipped amongst the many gaps in time.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
If you can... try reading the book "The White Tiger"... by some Indian author... or maybe Sri Lankan (name is Sri Lankeeeeesh). The writing style of this book reminded me very much of one of our own... yes, Tanreeekyogi pai... ru ba ru... same style of writing. Was going to mention it before... but it slipped amongst the many gaps in time.
arvind adiga???the booker prize winner??its doing well here in india...people are actually buying ORIGINAL copy to read that book