eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Literary > Book reviews

Notices

Book reviews Write up a review of a book you read recently, be it fiction, non-fiction or even technical

Old January 30th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Junior eCharchan

IRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud ofIRIS has much to be proud of
Re: What book are you all reading?

I think inspirational books are like reminding us of positivity in our life I can expalin it like you are sitting depressed after an appraisal meeting and your manager come and say hey,don't be so depressed ,you are a good team player ,you have better communication skills ,you have the chances to show your skills etc....and you stand up happily thinking atlast you are not so inferieor/bechara as you were feeling.I mean to say words can change our life's perspectives .

However i avoid picking up each and every inspirational book but some are worth reading like 'A monk who sold his ferrari'.

Ok, enough about the boring books.

I have read 'Arround the world in 80 days' by Jules Verne and it was enjoyable.The best part of the book is strategically planned journey arround the world in 80 days by means of trains/ships/camels/elephants to win a bet and in the end ............. .

I feel i don't tell the climax of the novel .I will recommend to read it.

Also I read 'Incidents in the life of a slave girl' by Hariot jacobs .Its encouraging.
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
I hate self-help, motivational and inspirational books...I hate their titles even more...Can't they keep a simple title.

here are a few : I'm ok you're ok, who'll cry when you'll die, you can win, how to win friends and influence people, count your chicken before they hatch...

and thet are filled in with more crap. I'll prefer a self-styled guru any day to these sukkkers at least gurus are funny and they tell a lot of stories.

Emmmmm...did you ever try Chicken soup series? They have real life stories, written by people like you and me. There are so many of them for specific occasions that you might want to check it out.

And they have simple titles J
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIS View Post
I think inspirational books are like reminding us of positivity in our life I can expalin it like you are sitting depressed after an appraisal meeting and your manager come and say hey,don't be so depressed ,you are a good team player ,you have better communication skills ,you have the chances to show your skills etc....and you stand up happily thinking atlast you are not so inferieor/bechara as you were feeling.I mean to say words can change our life's perspectives .

However i avoid picking up each and every inspirational book but some are worth reading like 'A monk who sold his ferrari'.

Ok, enough about the boring books.

I have read 'Arround the world in 80 days' by Jules Verne and it was enjoyable.The best part of the book is strategically planned journey arround the world in 80 days by means of trains/ships/camels/elephants to win a bet and in the end ............. .

I feel i don't tell the climax of the novel .I will recommend to read it.

Also I read 'Incidents in the life of a slave girl' by Hariot jacobs .Its encouraging.

IRIS, Around the World in 80 Days is a great book. I read it when I was a little girl and still remember the climax!
Other books which I read recently were the Princess trilogy. Again true/extraordinary story based on the life of a Princess in Saudi Arabia.

I am going to the library tomorrow, hopefully they have Shantaram or Time travelers wife.

Old January 30th, 2009, 06:35 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Emmmmm...did you ever try Chicken soup series? They have real life stories, written by people like you and me. There are so many of them for specific occasions that you might want to check it out.

I have read some Chicken Soups as a teen... They are written and presented in such a way as to make them inspirational yet being a bit cheesy... They all made for good reading during teenage though...
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think I am put off by those books because the way they approach you...it is very 'preach-ish' kind of... In most of the classics the protagonist is always someone with indomitable spirit...I like those books...I liked J L Seagull or old man and the sea or nothing by chance for that matter....Fountainhead is all about a man against tide of the time...but it is suggested in its unique way and not with in-your-face-you-fool attitude.

Old January 30th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
I think I am put off by those books because the way they approach you...it is very 'preach-ish' kind of... In most of the classics the protagonist is always someone with indomitable spirit...I like those books...I liked J L Seagull or old man and the sea or nothing by chance for that matter....Fountainhead is all about a man against tide of the time...but it is suggested in its unique way and not with in-your-face-you-fool attitude.

And thats why we love Rand better than chicken soup
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

I envy you all people. I love reading but I don't get time Need to do better time management So much to do in life.....give time to wife/son, work, play, work-out, friends, shopping, sleep, eat, , drink, EC .........

I hope I get time to read soon
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSainik View Post
I envy you all people. I love reading but I don't get time Need to do better time management So much to do in life.....give time to wife/son, work, play, work-out, friends, shopping, sleep, eat, , drink, EC .........

I hope I get time to read soon
Did you ever consider an audio book? See if your library has them. That way you can listen to the book while driving to work etc.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

is when I get time to read... so I guess, my time management is better than yours

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did you ever consider an audio book? See if your library has them. That way you can listen to the book while driving to work etc.
I never liked audio books...I dont know why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
is when I get time to read... so I guess, my time management is better than yours
even I use that time to read...

Old January 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Ha ha ha ha Chicken Soup?? Okay read some of our literary genius here
http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28704
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never liked audio books...I dont know why...

same to same

even I use that time to read...
We two must be the same person... multiple ID syndrome that is rampant here

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Ha ha ha ha Chicken Soup?? Okay read some of our literary genius here
http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28704
I read them
Yes, I agree, sometimes these 'inspirational examples' can get a little sentimental and over romantic.

My dad says that Chicken Soup gets on his nerves. But I feel that there should be a particular reason to read them. For example, I lost one of my loved one to Cancer when I was in late teens, and my mom gifted this book to me: Chicken Soup for a Grieving Soul. I loved it at that time but I am not so sure the book would have affected me the same way had I read it under any other circumstances.

I started reading Mistress by Anita Desai this weekend. Couldn't get the books I wanted to read.
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Currently reading "A Case Of Exploding Mangoes" by Mohammad Hanif. Just started it, good writing style... a little bit reminiscient of Salman Rushdie. The fun part is, it is almost a biography of General Zia of pukestan.

Old February 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Senior eCharchan

I have started reading Satyajit Ray's short stories. Its fun.