eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Literary > Book reviews

Notices

Book reviews Write up a review of a book you read recently, be it fiction, non-fiction or even technical

Old February 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What book are you all reading?

Indoctrinaire by Christopher Priest (a sci-fi novel from early 70s)
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading Shantaram but I had to return the book to the library before i finished(500 pages and still another 500 more to go) because of the due date and couldnt renew it as someone else had requested the copy...

So...if anyone has completed this book, I would relly appreciate if they could share with me, who is sapna.
I have a feeling its Karla.
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Senior eCharchan

Premi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I was reading Shantaram but I had to return the book to the library before i finished(500 pages and still another 500 more to go) because of the due date and couldnt renew it as someone else had requested the copy...

So...if anyone has completed this book, I would relly appreciate if they could share with me, who is sapna.
I have a feeling its Karla.
There is Shantaram movie coming this year

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006011,00.html

P.S. read - whats on the cards....
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premi View Post
There is Shantaram movie coming this year

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006011,00.html

P.S. read - whats on the cards....
Oh, I woud love to see the movie. Looks like there is going to be a sequel for this.
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Currently reading "Mr. Monk is miserable". I used to watch his episodes on USA some years back... and saw his book at the library. The book's as good as the TV shows... maybe better. And he is his usual... irritating everyone but at the same time making the reader think.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:11 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

Toss of a lemon - Padma Viswanathan

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old March 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg View Post
Toss of a lemon - Padma Viswanathan

Very nice book. In the end I wished the author had elaborated a little more on Thangam and why she is the way she is.
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:10 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

i am reading - the god delusion- by richard dawkins.

i have read only onethird of the book upto now- but man i am impressed!

he makes a formidable case for the nonexistence of god.

one wonders if some of the fanatics of the religious variety took heed of it then all religious wars would stop- but then i am being too naive , am i not?

anyway this seems to be the book for atheists- if they wish to counter any argument the theists put against them they will find the answers to it in the god delusion.

i hope i am not saying too much but this seems to be the bible for atheists- if atheism is a way of life it too needs its own gita.

Last edited by ashdoc; March 18th, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:17 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

ok...too hard to read - Toss of a lemon - Tossed it.

Its an injustice to compare it to God of small things (praise for book on the book cover does) , which was comparitively a masterpiece in terms of reading ease.

Old March 24th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
ok...too hard to read - Toss of a lemon - Tossed it.

Its an injustice to compare it to God of small things (praise for book on the book cover does) , which was comparitively a masterpiece in terms of reading ease.
I didnt knew that people were comparing Toss of a Lemon to God of small things!

Arundhati Roy has done a good job with God of Small Things.
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:05 AM
IDLE Treasurer

Quote:
I didnt knew that people were comparing Toss of a Lemon to God of small things!

Arundhati Roy has done a good job with God of Small Things.
Yeah someone mentioned its in the same league as GOST in the Book credits at the back cover.

i guess the toss of a lemon would make a good read for those who are familiar with south indian culture or those who love complicated family sagas.
I read up to the chapter after hanumanrathnam dies and then could not even manage to skim thru the rest.

Old March 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
i guess the toss of a lemon would make a good read for those who are familiar with south indian culture or those who love complicated family sagas.
Very true. There was this another book, The Silent Raga, which is also same as Toss of a lemon. You will have to know the South Indian (Tamilian) culture to be able to like the book...

But when I was a teenager I used to love Shobha De's books (now I dont like her books) or any books which based its theme in Mumbai. Though I have never lived in Mumbai, I actually fell in love with that city just by reading stories.
Now i am with Shantaram (a big book). The same with Kolkata. I read ity of Joy and Chowringhee and always wanted to visit Kolkata.
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:34 AM
Senior eCharchan

Finished Shantaram last night. I am thinking of starting White Tiger, Arvind Adiga
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:01 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randheer View Post
Have you read it. Just read "The Insider". Though it is quite sleazy and filled with Sex/Intrigue and sometimes with Dark Black Humour like Ram Gopal Verma but the message converyed is too hard to digest. it really hurts. He was never allowed to write version 2 of it by Sonia Madam, proves its effectiveness.. His skill in this book is as when he was Prime Minister that he never tries to preach anything but subtly teaches a lot.

Man he was something, although Advani's book make him appear as Honest,progressive but also shows him as an emotional fool..

You will find PVN as the real Hindutva guy and Advani as the most secular guy .

One smart observation by PVN . "In my village I have noticed that Hindus go out of their way to celebrate Muslim festivals like Eid and Muharamm,while Muslims use to give just formality or customary presence in hindu festivals like Holi/Diwali, But this makes Hindu too overtly proud of their secularism "
bought this book and completed first 3 chapters. Good read..till now

After some more reading through other sources.One thing i am making out about pvn is ...he dared to do things even BJP canot dream of. Especially babri demolition......first he kind of allowed demolition...when it got demolished...he even planned to construct a temple there wtf
What appeared to me is...he doesnt want bjp to take ownership of "bhagwan Ram" , demolition and ram temple , he wanted a share.

sala..im not getting enough time to complete the book.I have never took pvn so seriously ..his trademark "inaction" did not attract anyone including me.
thanks for the recommendation!

not ashamed to be IDLE !
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Finished Shantaram last night. I am thinking of starting White Tiger, Arvind Adiga
Don't just think... do. It is a fantastic tale, written in a grand style... will remind you of our own Tantuitchy pai. While reading the book I was sure that Arvinda Adiga is our own Tantirichgay pai.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless