eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Green Card

Notices

Green Card Discuss all things about the coveted card which is no longer green in color!

Old April 29th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Arizona introduces tough immigration laws - What is your take?

You have all seen on TV and read in newspapers that recently the state of Arizona put into effect a law which will allow local police to not only ask you for your driver's license but also your immigration status and immigration papers.

This law was enacted to help the state identify illegal aliens and deport them.

A lot of media and pro-immigrant groups have expressed outrage. The mayor of San Francisco formally announced a boycott of Arizona too!

Now, all of us here came on a legal H1 visa, then applied for Green Card, etc. Point is we stood in long endless processes to get all our proper papers and paid taxes and did everything as per immigration laws.

Arizona just wants to enforce the existing immigration laws which say that if you are not here on a legal visa or Green Card then you have no right to stay here. Get out.

But what do you say? Has Arizona done the right thing? Is this law draconian? Or do you see that atleast one state had the balls to enforce existing laws?

Here are some links to the topic.

Illegal immigrants plan to leave over Ariz. law

2 lawsuits challenge new Arizona immigration law
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:38 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Arizona introduces tough immigration laws - What is your take?

I'm in AZ now.. Desis are wary of carrying passport at all times. Sometimes ur visa stamp may be expired but u have extension or visa change then u in trouble. Seems like law enforcement is working on how to implement it.
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arizona introduces tough immigration laws - What is your take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
You have all seen on TV and read in newspapers that recently the state of Arizona put into effect a law which will allow local police to not only ask you for your driver's license but also your immigration status and immigration papers.

This law was enacted to help the state identify illegal aliens and deport them.

A lot of media and pro-immigrant groups have expressed outrage. The mayor of San Francisco formally announced a boycott of Arizona too!

Now, all of us here came on a legal H1 visa, then applied for Green Card, etc. Point is we stood in long endless processes to get all our proper papers and paid taxes and did everything as per immigration laws.

Arizona just wants to enforce the existing immigration laws which say that if you are not here on a legal visa or Green Card then you have no right to stay here. Get out.

But what do you say? Has Arizona done the right thing? Is this law draconian? Or do you see that atleast one state had the balls to enforce existing laws?

Here are some links to the topic.

Illegal immigrants plan to leave over Ariz. law

2 lawsuits challenge new Arizona immigration law
Tough the intent is good, the way it is supposed to be implemented is rather racist. Even the governor of Arizona accepted that race profiling would be done and when asked how a illegal immigrant looks like, she replied that she does not know.
Rather, they should have taken a pro active measure, by increasing patrolling on the border by using their state national guard troops and forcing employers who seek to start companies and are already running a company in their state to give in writing that they do not employ Illegal immigrants and not only that they do check the credentials of the workers that they hire either directly or indirectly.

But rather than doing that like a typical brainless politician acts idiotic, trying to score a point just before the November elections.
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.

Last edited by BABU_HYDERABADI; April 29th, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

When I see that any illegal alien is getting ahead or getting amnesty because its election time, I do feel slapped. And yes, even if I am not white and I am asked for my papers, I dont mind carrying my driver license or green card in my pocket to prove that I am legal, but I dont want someone without papers to just get freebies!

Saala, I pray you dont have to ever visit a ER in California. Sab ke sab saaley fukkat chodu bhare pade hain..

Two and a hafl years ago, my car was parked legally on the road outside my apartment. Here comes one asshole driving a vintage van and rams into my car. My car gets totalled. By God's grace I had stepped out of the car just 5 minutes before. No one was hurt. I call the cops. The cop comes, asks the van driver for license. He shows a id which is not from this country. He is a illegal working at a nearby fast food joint. Cop can only give him ticket for not possessing a driver license. My insurance company cannot recover any money from that illegal freeloader. The cop tells me that as per their records, that driver has received more than 20 tickets! And fuck they cant do jack because he does not have a SSN and police cant enforce immigration laws. They cannot even inform ICE to take action!

And I have to fucking go hunting for a car, worry about paying auto insurance. ANd this fuck gets scott free. Neither does he have auto insurance nor a license! ANd the fuck has been working for 10 years, paying no taxes!!

I dream of such a law in California.
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

Cha Pai .. Michigan does not have many illegals atleast not so many floating around , so problems dealing with illegals is almost nil here . Though i agree with Babu that AZ could have dealt with this problem better by implementing stronger border laws and persecuting people who hire illegals. But I guess based on your assessment that local police cannot implement immigration laws I think atleast a good start is made though racial profiling is going to be a big issue , esp. if they ask a brown citizen for their legality where as a white dude just walks by .. because it is obvious they wont be touching a white man or a black man .

But maybe its just semantics. I mean they needed some law to tackle the menace there and got it ...

Last edited by JaiSpeaks; April 29th, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I see that any illegal alien is getting ahead or getting amnesty because its election time, I do feel slapped. And yes, even if I am not white and I am asked for my papers, I dont mind carrying my driver license or green card in my pocket to prove that I am legal, but I dont want someone without papers to just get freebies!

Saala, I pray you dont have to ever visit a ER in California. Sab ke sab saaley fukkat chodu bhare pade hain..

Two and a hafl years ago, my car was parked legally on the road outside my apartment. Here comes one asshole driving a vintage van and rams into my car. My car gets totalled. By God's grace I had stepped out of the car just 5 minutes before. No one was hurt. I call the cops. The cop comes, asks the van driver for license. He shows a id which is not from this country. He is a illegal working at a nearby fast food joint. Cop can only give him ticket for not possessing a driver license. My insurance company cannot recover any money from that illegal freeloader. The cop tells me that as per their records, that driver has received more than 20 tickets! And fuck they cant do jack because he does not have a SSN and police cant enforce immigration laws. They cannot even inform ICE to take action!

And I have to fucking go hunting for a car, worry about paying auto insurance. ANd this fuck gets scott free. Neither does he have auto insurance nor a license! ANd the fuck has been working for 10 years, paying no taxes!!

Charchu, believe me there are people of certain nationality's who by just setting foot in this country get a 10,000 $ 's free as a loan and a Medicaid card and then a rent controlled apartment along with their Green Card application.

can any one name that country???

keep guessing

i would answer it on Sunday.
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Once cops find out that a person does not have a valid US id,they should start the process of deporting him-that is how it works - right?
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Arizona introduces tough immigration laws - What is your take?

Saala sab jeans mein passport ke liye ek chor pocket silana padega lagta hai.

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; April 30th, 2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to carry the originals all the time? How about you just carry your approval notice? I think its called an I797.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What if you are a naturalised citizen - your ass is brown but you store a newly minted amrikki passport in your firesafe ? do you still have to carry it with you or just say i'm citizen ?? i wonder!!

now we all know unemployment is high - you may have a racist white officer who does not like desis / makkoos . you think he is going to distinguish between legal and illegal or andhra/guadalajara by looking at a person who is slightly brown..

IMHO this is a law that is ripe for abuse... while the intent maybe to weed out illegal immigrants.. In a depressed economy with an unhappy white population - it could produce some really bad results and unwanted hassles for desis..
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:25 AM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzrhino View Post
IMHO this is a law that is ripe for abuse... while the intent maybe to weed out illegal immigrants.. In a depressed economy with an unhappy white population - it could produce some really bad results and unwanted hassles for desis..
especially with unhappy white people with entitlement mentality ... this job belongs to an American, not a foreigner ... my job is stolen by an Indian...

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Saala sab jeans mein passport ke liye ek chor pocket silana padega lagta hai.
just carry a notarized copy of your passport and visa. Keep passport in bank's safe deposit box
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

carrying passport would be a big pain.... and to make matters worse, desis can be mistaken for amigos sometimes....

Old April 30th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

guys, as an independant free citizen of an independant free country I feel it is insulting that I have to carry papers proving my identity. I am not a jew in nazi germany, nor a thief who has to answer some fucking cop just because he wants to have some fun or he doesnt like my face or my face looks suspicious according to some. Just because the border controls dont work in their current form is no reason to harass or apply limitations to people. IMHO this law is barking up the wrong tree, solving the wrong problem - that too for a country like America which is entirely a migrant country!!!

Charcha bhau, you are saying now you wont have problems showing or carrying your license and passport everywhere, just wait till every frikking law enforcement officer stops you and asks you for papers, then makes you wait while he completes his paper work and you start missing your normal life. Even if you come out of the encounter scratch free, I guarantee you will not enjoy it.

Check out a similar encounter portrayed in the movie Crash. Even with the movie, the incident leaves one disgusted.

Last edited by kkkk; April 30th, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

so what happens if one does not have the relevant papers on person? or only has copies? can this person end up having a formal criminal record for not carrying papers?