eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Literary > Book reviews

Notices

Book reviews Write up a review of a book you read recently, be it fiction, non-fiction or even technical

Old January 29th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
Query in Secret of the Nagas

For those of you who have read this book, I have a small doubt. For those of you who intend to read this book, dont read below (spoiler alert).

Parvateshwar, the army general for the Meluhan Army had sworn celibacy as his forefathers have sworn for the same (something we know from Immortals of meluha).

If his forefathers have sworn celibacy, where did he (Parvateswar) come from?
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Query in Secret of the Nagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
For those of you who have read this book, I have a small doubt. For those of you who intend to read this book, dont read below (spoiler alert).

Parvateshwar, the army general for the Meluhan Army had sworn celibacy as his forefathers have sworn for the same (something we know from Immortals of meluha).

If his forefathers have sworn celibacy, where did he (Parvateswar) come from?
Did you not read the book? They adopted as per the custom. They swore they would never have biological children.
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Did you not read the book? They adopted as per the custom. They swore they would never have biological children.
I didnt finish the book yet. I am at a stage where Ganesh saves Karthik from lions.

How weird, they are having children, adopted or otherwise, what difference would that make. Also, its not exactly celibacy with they sleep with someone now is it? I wonder why Parvateshwar was so dismissive about Anandamayi claiming he will be celibate, only to get married to her.
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didnt finish the book yet. I am at a stage where Ganesh saves Karthik from lions.

How weird, they are having children, adopted or otherwise, what difference would that make. Also, its not exactly celibacy with they sleep with someone now is it? I wonder why Parvateshwar was so dismissive about Anandamayi claiming he will be celibate, only to get married to her.
No one slept with anyone

Until, Parvateshwar broke his vow, that is. Celibacy is abstinence from sex. Doesnt prevent you from adopting a child. The reason for the celibacy is also spelt out - they did not agree with the rule change that allowed nobility to keep their birth children since it was against Ram Rajya. So, to not have to make that choice for their kids, they decided not to have any birth kids and simply adopt from the school as all commoners do.

Jeez, can you read? Maybe we need to tranlate it into Madrasi or something
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
No one slept with anyone

Until, Parvateshwar broke his vow, that is. Celibacy is abstinence from sex. Doesnt prevent you from adopting a child. The reason for the celibacy is also spelt out - they did not agree with the rule change that allowed nobility to keep their birth children since it was against Ram Rajya. So, to not have to make that choice for their kids, they decided not to have any birth kids and simply adopt from the school as all commoners do.

Jeez, can you read? Maybe we need to tranlate it into Madrasi or something
Where did they say P was adopted? Emmm....
I haven't finished the book, unless they mentioned it towards the end. Yes, I do know why they took the vow from immortals of Meluha.

What shall I say about celibacy; I seem to have a one track mind. Bad girl.
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
I haven't finished the book, unless they mentioned it towards the end. Yes, I do know why they took the vow from immortals of Meluha.

Some conclusions you just have to reach on your own. Not everything is or should be spelled out like a Hindi movie.

There are obviously a lot of holes in the plot as well as inconsistencies. But overall a good read.
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

its been long since I have read the book, but I think the book says that P was adopted.
Also his sworn celibacy was a kind of protest against nobility keeping their own son, which was against the teaching of Lord Rama.

Old January 30th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Some conclusions you just have to reach on your own. Not everything is or should be spelled out like a Hindi movie.

There are obviously a lot of holes in the plot as well as inconsistencies. But overall a good read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykode View Post
its been long since I have read the book, but I think the book says that P was adopted.
Also his sworn celibacy was a kind of protest against nobility keeping their own son, which was against the teaching of Lord Rama.
OK...i just finished the book. I still dont see anywhere that says P was adopted; though the only logical conclusion would be that if they stay celibate.

This means that there would be no women in their family, until P married Anandmayi.

BTW Melly, the author should have (if he didnt) spelled it out. Else, it sure comes across as a loop hole.
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
OK...i just finished the book. I still dont see anywhere that says P was adopted; though the only logical conclusion would be that if they stay celibate.

This means that there would be no women in their family, until P married Anandmayi.

BTW Melly, the author should have (if he didnt) spelled it out. Else, it sure comes across as a loop hole.
Here is the relevant portion ...........

The Maika system was relaxed so that the children of nobility would not be surrendered
into the common pool. They would continue to be tracked separately and returned to
their birth parents when they turned sixteen.’
‘What about the children of common people?’
‘They were not a part of this relaxation.’
‘That’s not fair.’
‘That’s exactly what my grandfather, Lord Satyadhwaj, thought. Nothing wrong with the
relaxation itself. But one of Lord Ram’s unchangeable rules was that the law should
apply equally to everyone. You cannot have separate sets of rules for the nobility and
the masses. That is wrong.’
‘I agree. But didn’t your grandfather oppose this change?’
‘He did. But he was the only one opposing it. So the change still went through.’
‘That is sad.’
‘To protest against this corruption of Lord Ram’s way, my grandfather vowed that
neither he nor any of his adopted Maika descendants would ever have birth children.’

Please connect the dots. This is not a loophole - just a logical conclusion. Nowhere does it say that they cannot adopt children. Or they have to get married to adopt, right? So grandpa probably already had children when this law was changed. One of his "sons" may have already been married (or not) and adopted P. P never married and never adopted until he met A. So where is the loophole?

Also, these copies are pre-edits. So some things may have changed in the final version of the books
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:

Please connect the dots. This is not a loophole - just a logical conclusion. Nowhere does it say that they cannot adopt children. Or they have to get married to adopt, right? So grandpa probably already had children when this law was changed. One of his "sons" may have already been married (or not) and adopted P. P never married and never adopted until he met A. So where is the loophole?

Also, these copies are pre-edits. So some things may have changed in the final version of the books
ok...thank you. Tell me one thing, who is considered royalty? King and his immediate family or anyone else is included?
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
ok...thank you. Tell me one thing, who is considered royalty? King and his immediate family or anyone else is included?
Royalty?? They use the word nobility. Which is the King/queen, their family and the council of ministers. Standard defintion around the world in most monarchies.

Royalty usually refers to just the monarch and their family.
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Royalty?? They use the word nobility. Which is the King/queen, their family and the council of ministers. Standard defintion around the world in most monarchies.

Royalty usually refers to just the monarch and their family.
ok, thank you.

I finished it last night; I liked both the books.
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
ok, thank you.

I finished it last night; I liked both the books.
Yep, I liked them too .. waiting for the third and final one, scheduled for release in March.

BTW, did you know Karan Johar has bought the movie rights to the trilogy. So you will soon see Shahrukh Khan as Shiva, Kajol as Sita .. and the rest of the cast of characters
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Yep, I liked them too .. waiting for the third and final one, scheduled for release in March.

BTW, did you know Karan Johar has bought the movie rights to the trilogy. So you will soon see Shahrukh Khan as Shiva, Kajol as Sita .. and the rest of the cast of characters
Oh ya?! karan Johar bought the rights?!

If there is one person whom I think should be Shiva is Madhavan. I cannot think o anyone else coming close.
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:16 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

in the Mahadev thread someone said that Hrithik is going to be Bholey. Is it SRK? Hakla Bhola?