eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Literary > Book reviews

Notices

Book reviews Write up a review of a book you read recently, be it fiction, non-fiction or even technical

Old February 14th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
Change in perspectives

Have you ever read a book twice? I have read a few books twice because I liked them so much when I had read them the first time. When I read the same book the second time, all of them (with the exception of one so far) have managed to evoke the same feelings which I had when I read the book the first time.

The exception is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I think I was in my late teens when I had read it for the first time and that time I fet that there cannot be a greater love story than Catherine and Heathcliff's.

Now (a few weeks ago) when I re-read, I was disappointed. I felt that they both are insensitive, manipulative, rude and heartless.

Did anything like that happen to you?
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change in perspectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Have you ever read a book twice? I have read a few books twice because I liked them so much when I had read them the first time. When I read the same book the second time, all of them (with the exception of one so far) have managed to evoke the same feelings which I had when I read the book the first time.

The exception is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I think I was in my late teens when I had read it for the first time and that time I fet that there cannot be a greater love story than Catherine and Heathcliff's.

Now (a few weeks ago) when I re-read, I was disappointed. I felt that they both are insensitive, manipulative, rude and heartless.

Did anything like that happen to you?
yes i have read biographies twice.The first time i read because someone recommended me and when i read them my state of mind was influenced by the person who recommended me ,but when i read second time i got my stance and views clear on the book and on the character most importantly.

Once i read third time just to make sure that i am not some volatile freak but 2nd and 3rd time my views were unchanged..
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot read a story(novel or otherwise) twice.If by mistake I start reading it again,I stop as soon as I realize I had read it earlier.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

I too was wondering how can you read the same thing again unless you are reading after years,that too maybe after 70+ years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
I cannot read a story(novel or otherwise) twice.If by mistake I start reading it again,I stop as soon as I realize I had read it earlier.
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:15 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Its been actually ages since i read a book even once. Even then i never read a book twice.
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanfanabhi View Post
yes i have read biographies twice.The first time i read because someone recommended me and when i read them my state of mind was influenced by the person who recommended me ,but when i read second time i got my stance and views clear on the book and on the character most importantly.

Once i read third time just to make sure that i am not some volatile freak but 2nd and 3rd time my views were unchanged..
May I know the name of the biography?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
When I re read something, I dont read it for the story anymore. I read it for the words, for the sentences and the magic they create when they are heard from the character. So, Many a time, what we re-read is not pure fiction. It would either be written by a literary genius (decided by the reader), biography or maybe even a philosophical book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
I too was wondering how can you read the same thing again unless you are reading after years,that too maybe after 70+ years
Well, I woud say you have not come across any real gem so far then
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Its been actually ages since i read a book even once. Even then i never read a book twice.
if you have time, you should
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
I read almost every book (that I like) at least twice. Books that make you think. The dishum dishum action thrillers are one and done. Some books I have read many times over. The Dark Tower series, for example. I have read all 7 books 4 times over. Start with the first and keep going.

Recently, the immortals and nagas, already read them twice each. Will read one more time just before the third one comes out. Knowing the prequels intimately greatly enhances the enjoyment of the sequel.
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
I read almost every book (that I like) at least twice. Books that make you think. The dishum dishum action thrillers are one and done. Some books I have read many times over. The Dark Tower series, for example. I have read all 7 books 4 times over. Start with the first and keep going.

Recently, the immortals and nagas, already read them twice each. Will read one more time just before the third one comes out. Knowing the prequels intimately greatly enhances the enjoyment of the sequel.
We seem to like fantasy better than reality eh? I do too.
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We seem to like fantasy better than reality eh? I do too.
If you want reality, read the newspapers or wikipedia. I hate biographies, autobios, self help books, historical books etc. Give me a fiction book any day.
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
If you want reality, read the newspapers or wikipedia. I hate biographies, autobios, self help books, historical books etc. Give me a fiction book any day.
Nah I meant fantasy, not fiction . You seem to like them, like, Lord of the Rings, Dark Tower series, Shiva trilogy, Star Wars....I am not saying there is something wrong with it. I like them too. I just noticed it, thats all.
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Nah I meant fantasy, not fiction . You seem to like them, like, Lord of the Rings, Dark Tower series, Shiva trilogy, Star Wars....I am not saying there is something wrong with it. I like them too. I just noticed it, thats all.
All fiction is fantasy. Dont know what exactly you mean. BTW, I dont like Lord of the Rings much. I did read "The Hobbit" in 8th grade or something, and it was good for that time.

Yes, I do like fiction that gives you something to think about. Some philosophy or a different approach to things. Thats what I take from most books, not the story itself. Most stories have a pretty standard formula anyway. If thats what you call fantasy, then guilty as charged.
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
All fiction is fantasy. Dont know what exactly you mean. BTW, I dont like Lord of the Rings much. I did read "The Hobbit" in 8th grade or something, and it was good for that time.

Yes, I do like fiction that gives you something to think about. Some philosophy or a different approach to things. Thats what I take from most books, not the story itself. Most stories have a pretty standard formula anyway. If thats what you call fantasy, then guilty as charged.
When I say fantasy I mean things like stories which happen in future, stories that involve flying broomsticks, a ring from mountains of Mordor, vampires etc.

When I say fiction I mean stuff like crime (could be John Rain), love stories etc.

What exactly did you take from Dark Towers? Out of curiosity...

What I noticed is, fantasies usually have a different story line form one to another where as in fiction, it usually has the same ground.
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
When I say fantasy I mean things like stories which happen in future, stories that involve flying broomsticks, a ring from mountains of Mordor, vampires etc.

When I say fiction I mean stuff like crime (could be John Rain), love stories etc.

What exactly did you take from Dark Towers? Out of curiosity...

What I noticed is, fantasies usually have a different story line form one to another where as in fiction, it usually has the same ground.
Have you read the dark tower series? Or at least the first book?
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Have you read the dark tower series? Or at least the first book?
No...shall I? Thats why I was trying to get an idea about the series.
I usually spend about $100 each month on books and this month I didnt...I might go for all 7 books, if you tell me why you like them.
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
No...shall I? Thats why I was trying to get an idea about the series.
I usually spend about $100 each month on books and this month I didnt...I might go for all 7 books, if you tell me why you like them.
Buy just the first book - The Gunslinger. If you like it, get the rest of the series. And I misspoke - there are 8 books now. Stephen King just released the 8th book a few months ago, which is actually 4.5 (the gap between 4 and 5). I have read it only once so far

What I will tell you is this. Read it. If I tell you what I took from it, that will ruin it for you, cause its how the book ends. Once you have read it we can discuss. I like the series because while it is "fantasy" it requires you to open up your mind to the infinite possibilities in the universe(s).