eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Literary > Book reviews

Notices

Book reviews Write up a review of a book you read recently, be it fiction, non-fiction or even technical

Old February 15th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change in perspectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Buy just the first book - The Gunslinger. If you like it, get the rest of the series. And I misspoke - there are 8 books now. Stephen King just released the 8th book a few months ago, which is actually 4.5 (the gap between 4 and 5). I have read it only once so far

What I will tell you is this. Read it. If I tell you what I took from it, that will ruin it for you, cause its how the book ends. Once you have read it we can discuss. I like the series because while it is "fantasy" it requires you to open up your mind to the infinite possibilities in the universe(s).
ok will buy the book today itself....hopefully, if the store I go to normally have the stock.
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Have you ever read a book twice? I have read a few books twice because I liked them so much when I had read them the first time. When I read the same book the second time, all of them (with the exception of one so far) have managed to evoke the same feelings which I had when I read the book the first time.
The only book I have read twice is "Illusions" by Richard Bach. Want to read it another time (been a long time since the last read)... when I get the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Buy just the first book - The Gunslinger. If you like it, get the rest of the series. And I misspoke - there are 8 books now. Stephen King just released the 8th book a few months ago, which is actually 4.5 (the gap between 4 and 5). I have read it only once so far

Read this one recently... just the last one (4.5). Isn't this the one that is a story within a story? Haven't read the entire series... maybe some day.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Super eCharchan

sonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have you ever read a book twice? I have read a few books twice because I liked them so much when I had read them the first time. When I read the same book the second time, all of them (with the exception of one so far) have managed to evoke the same feelings which I had when I read the book the first time.

The exception is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I think I was in my late teens when I had read it for the first time and that time I fet that there cannot be a greater love story than Catherine and Heathcliff's.

Now (a few weeks ago) when I re-read, I was disappointed. I felt that they both are insensitive, manipulative, rude and heartless.

Did anything like that happen to you?
Agar woh iss kabil nahi the ke saath hoon hamesha , itni himat itna hosla aur thori si akal nahi thi toh bohot acha hua unke saath ... aisa hi hona chahye aise logo ke saath
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Super eCharchan

sonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond repute

Mujhe reading ki bilkul adat nahi hai

I know i should not be telling it to everyone but aaj tak main ek novel/book tak nahi parha life main
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Gr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonia View Post
Mujhe reading ki bilkul adat nahi hai

I know i should not be telling it to everyone but aaj tak main ek novel/book tak nahi parha life main
That didn't come as a surprise

Ek he ulloo kafi hai barbade gulistan kee liya,
Anjamye gulistan kya hoga jab har daal pee ulloo bethe hoon
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8_Hindustani View Post
That didn't come as a surprise
namaste
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Super eCharchan

Quote:

The exception is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I think I was in my late teens when I had read it for the first time and that time I fet that there cannot be a greater love story than Catherine and Heathcliff's.

Now (a few weeks ago) when I re-read, I was disappointed. I felt that they both are insensitive, manipulative, rude and heartless.

Did anything like that happen to you?
after reading it , i mean the story of emily bronte heres something for you:

Yeh Romeo yeh Juliet ... Heera Ranjha , Leila Majnoo ..yeh janam janam ka saath type ke log Yeh sirf kahaniyon main hote hain Right.
Tum aur main , hum aam janta hain the mango people ...humein mar ke aamar nahi hona hai , humein saath rahna hai aur issi janam main saath rahna hai. Kya kahti ho ?
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Super eCharchan

Baari baari kitaabein parhne ka koi faida nahi hai , ek baar parho ya hazar baar agar aap main basic insaniyat lacking hai.
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

Almost all biographies i read till date had that effect.To name a few notables,biographies of George Washington Carver,VD Savarkar,Adolf Hitler,madam marie curie,steve jobs,jd rockefeller
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:09 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Baari baari kitaabein parhne ka koi faida nahi hai
baari baari se hi kitabein padhni chahiye. ek saath sab padhne ka koi faida nahin.

Last edited by PeaceSeeker; February 16th, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Baari baari kitaabein parhne ka koi faida nahi hai , ek baar parho ya hazar baar agar aap main basic insaniyat lacking hai.
There are people who read the same book... right since they can start to read... the same book, day in and day out... and they still lack basic insaaniyat. So I think it is better to read a variety of baari baari kitabein... just to get an understanding of what that basic insaaniyat is.

No reading... and you are no better than other animals. Read just one book and are basically worse than other animals What makes us human is the opportunity to read multiple books

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless