eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Literary > Book reviews

Notices

Book reviews Write up a review of a book you read recently, be it fiction, non-fiction or even technical

Old March 13th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
The Dark Tower series: 1st Book (The Gunslinger)

I started this book last night and I am 40 pages along. I am having trouble with understanding a few things. First of all, is it just me or the book is written in...in difficult-to-understand-english? I mean, it wasn't easy flowing, unless, after reading a few more pages, I will find it easier to read further (almost like Salman Rushdies books).

Secondly, which world is this taking place? Parallel to earth or happening sometime in future? I am not able to visualize the scenes.
I know the gunslinger is looking for man-in-black...but I guess I should read the book to know why...or should I have known already?
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Dark Tower series: 1st Book (The Gunslinger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I started this book last night and I am 40 pages along. I am having trouble with understanding a few things. First of all, is it just me or the book is written in...in difficult-to-understand-english? I mean, it wasn't easy flowing, unless, after reading a few more pages, I will find it easier to read further (almost like Salman Rushdies books).

Secondly, which world is this taking place? Parallel to earth or happening sometime in future? I am not able to visualize the scenes.
I know the gunslinger is looking for man-in-black...but I guess I should read the book to know why...or should I have known already?
Keep reading ... things will become clearer as you go. This was Stephen King's first ever book, not the first published, but the first he started to write. So you can understand the use of big words

I can explain it to you, but it will ruin the reading. Maybe after you are done with them we can discuss.
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Keep reading ... things will become clearer as you go. This was Stephen King's first ever book, not the first published, but the first he started to write. So you can understand the use of big words

I can explain it to you, but it will ruin the reading. Maybe after you are done with them we can discuss.
Ok then, I will continue reading.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Senior eCharchan

aragorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it wasn't easy flowing, unless, after reading a few more pages, I will find it easier to read further (almost like Salman Rushdies books)
This happend with me when i started reading Rushdies book "Midnight's Children". for first few pages i was like "WTF is written here". story was jumping from one place to another..

I still find very difficult to understand his work
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
This happend with me when i started reading Rushdies book "Midnight's Children". for first few pages i was like "WTF is written here". story was jumping from one place to another..

I still find very difficult to understand his work
Have you read Luka and the Fire of Life? Its his first book which I had actually found it less complicated.
Even Enchantress of Florence was so complicated. too many twists and too many ambiguities.