eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > View - Counter View

Notices

View - Counter View Topics which have two differing view points

Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:48 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute
Question Feminism : Should Male passengers offer their seat to female passengers?

Should male passengers offer their seats to women on trains/buses?
---

With seats reserved for women almost everywhere on a public bus, should male passengers still offer their seats to them if the "reserved for women" seats are all occupied?

Should men show courtesy at the cost of travelling long distances standing in crammed aisles of government buses?
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Feminism : Should Male passengers offer their seat to female passengers?

Offering seats to female is british and England no longer rules the world

try sitting on a seat reserved for females then decide if they deserve the politeness we give them
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:57 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

India -
First of all, it would be a courtesy if men dont sit in seats reserved for ladies. Many do, particularly outside Mumbai, even in trains.

In case a bus is crammed, there would be a lot more men standing than women. Such luxury normally does not arise.

Actually in Hyderabad or Bangalore, you have almost the whole of front portion meant for ladies. The ladies sit or stand in front and guys do so in the back. So, not much of a chance for any courtesy in a crowded bus.

Abroad -

In case it is an old lady or a pregnant one or someone with kids, it would be a courtesy to offer the seat. Else, we are equal after all. I actually have not come across pregnant or elderly women travelling byu Bus in India.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

I think its based on how you feel about the situation.

If you are dariya dil, give up the seat.

If you dil is just samundar, then don't
Old July 22nd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
---

With seats reserved for women almost everywhere on a public bus, should male passengers still offer their seats to them if the "reserved for women" seats are all occupied?

Should men show courtesy at the cost of travelling long distances standing in crammed aisles of government buses?
It depends on the situation. If it were a pregnant woman or an old lady or handicapped woman or a woman carrying a baby...then absolutely yes!

If it's a young girl - then sorry no can't do. She can stand.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 02:59 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think Alibaba was talking about pregnant and old or handicapped ladies

My above post was regarding normal females.

I have observed, females while standing they act as if their limbs lack power to even stand straight,face is like she is very tired and once a man offer his seat she removes her mobile calls her friends or chat or sms and wont even bother to see if the man who offered her a seat got a seat or not,to top it if the passenger seated next to her gets up to alight she will call her friend who is sitting on the ladies reserved seat to sit besides her and the poor man will just travel standing till he has to alight.

Most of these men (helpful men ) just stand near the lady thinking he did a great job and the looks he gives her as if she would say yes to him the moment he proposes to her.

I dont give in to such seat offering business,you females call yourself as equal so learn to travel like us,please dont beg sympathy from equals
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:30 PM
Super eCharchan

sonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond reputesonia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
---

hai ya

If she is bemar, or can not stand for any reason then Yes.

And if you think you can manage traveling long distances standing, then yes.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:39 PM
Senior eCharchan

Mukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond repute

Now first of all, what you mean by a Lady or Mahila ?

Do the girls of 16, 18 or 20 years are lady or a Mahila ? Do they need the same reservation ?

It has happened to me many times in Delhi Metro when a girl of 20 or less asked a old aged person to vacate the seat and I objected to it strongly. The only question I ask such girl is "kya aap sach mei mahila hain ?" and " kya aap ko mahila hone ka arth pata hai ?". Sometimes I even ask a girl to vacate the seat for old or a pregnant lady.

A lady who is pregnant and having kids along must be offered seat whether she is in bus, train or even at a railway platform. And we should have same courtesy for the old aged, sick and handicapped persons too.

Last edited by Mukesh; July 22nd, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:36 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Swami.. Many a times what happens is, when someone offers a girl/lady a seat, the lady will take it, sit and start fidgeting with her mobile phone almost immediately! Many a times, she won't even acknowledge.
--
I have done that too... One time, there was this really cute girl, who was standing just beside me while I sat... Very chivalrously I offered her my seat... she took it - No acknowledgement! No thanks, no second glance even! Full KLPD...

That's when I decided, I will NEVER offer anyone my seat - As it is, there are many rows reserved for them. Let them fight for those...
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:10 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

I feel a little uncomfortable if a lady is standing besides me while I am seated. I have to offer it to her. I feel as if she is asking me again & again to give her the seat. I tried sometimes not to (on case 2 case basis) but I am not able to change. At least not yet.

Needless to say, I invariably HAVE TO offer my seat to someone in need -a senior citizen or a expecting woman or one with a small baby.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:31 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

not unless u want to. i would give up mine for an old or disabled person or a mother struggling with kids.

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

I do not take public transport... so aisa naubat aaya hi nahi. But I do hold the door open for females... or anybody

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
The Destroyer of Maya

Origmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond repute

Only to old people, the sick or special circumstances like pregnant ladies. I sometimes also make exceptions to people with young kids and bags together because they might have a difficult times otherwise. In this case, middle aged parents are allowed in my books.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
I do not take public transport... so aisa naubat aaya hi nahi. But I do hold the door open for females... or anybody

Same here.

Kaauku bus/train kee zanzat mai padneka?
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

I used to travel in bus a lot during my college days.

In BEST buses ,Mumbai,there are 6 seats reserved on the right side.

Once while traveling at around 4 i noticed that all 6 seats were vacant and most of the ladies were sitting on unreserved seats everywhere due to sun gazing in from the right hand side windows.

I did not think much and occupied the vacant seat reserved for ladies only.

Just as it got crowded further,women boarding in,started occupying the reserved ladies seats.

At a point I had to give up my seat for a lady due to reservation.

Most of the guys were standing now with women occupying seats on both sides.

This would not have happened initially,if women had occupied the seats meant for them.