eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Literary > Book reviews

Notices

Book reviews Write up a review of a book you read recently, be it fiction, non-fiction or even technical

Old February 7th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 5 books read on the top of your mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
Ypou had to.. really you had to confess that? we knew that already.
How would you know that? Why is it a confession? Did I do something wrong?

Old February 7th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

Did not michael chrichton also write that silly earth quake making plot.. hammer of god or something.. that ass needs to be kept away from writing such things.. Jurrasic park was alright as a movie.. as a book it sucked a T'Rex's dick.
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Senior eCharchan

motowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
I liked Freakonomics ... there is a movie on netflix too.
Yes it is based on some of the chapters of the first book. Read SuperF as well. You wont be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Ya but I don't think its true. Is it really possible to create artificial calamities (lightning etc) at such a large extent? It was an interesting read though. I also read Congo.
I didn't care much for the fiction part of the story. But pay attention to the facts and data that he has presented in the story. There are a lot of controversies around that as well, but atleast you get to hear the other side of the story.
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
How would you know that? Why is it a confession? Did I do something wrong?
Bas kyaa :roflmao:
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motowner View Post
Yes it is based on some of the chapters of the first book. Read SuperF as well. You wont be disappointed.

I didn't care much for the fiction part of the story. But pay attention to the facts and data that he has presented in the story. There are a lot of controversies around that as well, but atleast you get to hear the other side of the story.
Now you got me thinking, do you or do you not believe in the concept of global warming? There were both sides in the book and Micheal C was almost saying that humans do not have involvement in global warming...at least not as much as the scientist make out to be, if I still remember it correct that is.
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Pelu Pelu

The simple solution to reverse global warming is to build more building and roads, (and I am not joking)
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:14 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Now you got me thinking, do you or do you not believe in the concept of global warming?
After all the cold blasts and winter stroms going, global warming seems far off. In fact Donald Trump called it a Hoax.

BTW, Have you seen this one on polar vortex

Of course, the climate scientists explain it saying that these are the 'side effects' of global warming.
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:42 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motowner View Post
Some of the books that come to mind:

1) Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand: This one is at the top of my list at all times.

Others in no particular order:
  • Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts: Incredible real life story of an Australian fugitive in the streets of Bombay. Its a long book (900+ pages), so if you are into it, get the audio book version. The audio narration is amazing and you'll look forward to your commute to work.
  • Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg: Don't like to read self improvement books, but made an exception for this based on reviews and didn't regret it.
  • Daemon by Daniel Suarez: If you work in IT and like sci-fi novels, this is a must read! I even read the two sequels to this book, but didn't like them as much as this one.
  • Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics by Levitt and Dubner: Got me interested in a subject that I used to find excruciatingly boring. Became a fan of the authors - follow their blog posts and podcasts as well.
  • A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson: If, like me, you have slept through your science/history lessons in school or ratta maroed answers and regurgitated in exams, then this is a crash course in all the fascinating stuff you missed.
  • State of Fear by Michael Crichton: Wanna read an alternative viewpoint on global warming?

I was just browsing the reading list again, and this freakonomics came closest to a Business kind of a book. In 90s books by Iacoca, etc. used to be popular. Dont people read such anymore. I actually started on 'Made in Japan', by Akio Morita (founder of Sony). I liked the simple language he was using. Anyway, could not finish the book and lost it. This was about 15 years back.