eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Green Card

Notices

Green Card Discuss all things about the coveted card which is no longer green in color!

Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:36 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Citizenship

I have been holding green card for many years now. Should I get citizenship ? Want to hear from people with direct experiance . I know how to use Google. Only from people who live here ( Sorry Badri )

What is the process ? What are the Pros and Cons ?

What was your process ? How did it go ? Starting from fingerprinting to interview to awarding the citizenship ???

Please share . Serious only.
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Citizenship

Sorry, I don't remember anything. Try the r2ciforums or something.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:13 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Too bed you spoileded relasionship with helpful Jagmohanji cause he best person for you to be asking help from him to help you. He went to your country in 1980 and he recently renewed his GC. What does that tell you? Not easy to be receiving local passport.

Other day I go to apply for Adhar card here in Patna. It take me 20 minutes because we have here everything is computering.

Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
Serious only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
Sorry, I don't remember anything. Try the r2ciforums or something.

Quote:
Only from people who live here ( Sorry Badri )

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post
Too bed you spoileded relasionship with helpful Jagmohanji cause he best person for you to be asking help from him to help you. He went to your country in 1980 and he recently renewed his GC. What does that tell you? Not easy to be receiving local passport.

Other day I go to apply for Adhar card here in Patna. It take me 20 minutes because we have here everything is computering.

Really Guys
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:08 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Now you learn lessen or not yet? This is what is karma. You will have to stremble in darkness finding your way to citizen because one person who has telephone numbers would not give it to you cause you mean to him. There is God.

Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:00 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have been holding green card for many years now. Should I get citizenship ? Want to hear from people with direct experiance . I know how to use Google. Only from people who live here ( Sorry Badri )

What is the process ? What are the Pros and Cons ?

What was your process ? How did it go ? Starting from fingerprinting to interview to awarding the citizenship ???

Please share . Serious only.
If you would like to be subjected to laws of USA, you should become citizen. The tests are pretty straightforward (assuming you are a typical desi with good memory). On the flip side, if you are making more than 100K/yr, you should look at tax implications of being citizen of USA vs that of India.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar View Post
If you would like to be subjected to laws of USA, you should become citizen. The tests are pretty straightforward (assuming you are a typical desi with good memory). On the flip side, if you are making more than 100K/yr, you should look at tax implications of being citizen of USA vs that of India.
No. No difference when it comes to tax obligation to IRS? ... GC holder or Citizen? ... You have to report for 5 years from the day you leave ... temporary or for good? ... makes no difference? ...

think so ...
Old August 23rd, 2014, 10:48 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to wait for fukkin Indian consulate to issue you a visa to go to India or don't mind getting visa to go to many countries including UK, Germany etc........Keep GC

If you walk through custom on your way back to US from any country, as well as don't want to get visa for lot of countries, get US Citizenship.

Tax ki maa ki aankh. It won't make much difference at all.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 10:57 AM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal View Post
If you don't want to wait for fukkin Indian consulate to issue you a visa to go to India or don't mind getting visa to go to many countries including UK, Germany etc........Keep GC

If you walk through custom on your way back to US from any country, as well as don't want to get visa for lot of countries, get US Citizenship.

Tax ki maa ki aankh. It won't make much difference at all.
Thats what I was thinking , why would tax matter and bhidu if you are living in Southern California and makin less than 100K/yr than you are poor.

My freaking monthly mortgage is around 4grand.

Anyways my only concern is Property in India. I believe I have to pay taxes on income in India too....
Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:00 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking , why would tax matter and bhidu if you are living in Southern California and makin less than 100K/yr than you are poor.

Anyways my only concern is Property in India. I believe I have to pay taxes on income in India too....
Then you get OCI.

Who said OCI's can not own properties in India.
I have relative running multi million rupees business in India and him/his wife and kids all are US citizens with OCI.

I don't think you have to pay taxes to Indian Govt on income made in US, unless you want to transfer it to India.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:02 AM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal View Post
Then you get OCI.

Who said OCI's can not own properties in India.
I have relative running multi million rupees business in India and him/his wife and kids all are US citizens with OCI.
Hmm..... Okay will have to check with my CPA...... Every time I talk to him he asks to me pay some tax... Just in case.......
Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:20 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

correct...it does not matter to Uncle Sam whether you are dual citizen.
Old August 25th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

The first step of the process i.e. filling up N-400 (application for citizenship), attaching pictures, check, G-1145 (for email/text notifications) etc is the most laborious of the whole process. Rest is a breeze.The whole process, I recollect, took me 3-4 months to complete.

Will share my experience later.

Pros: You can apply for Federal govt positions which require mandatory citizenship, security checks, you can vote.

Cons: it will cost you money to renounce your Indian citizenship ($200 or something) and surrender your passport. You will have to apply for a visa or OCI card which will cost you additional money. you will not be able to vote in Indian elections.

Applying for citizenship will cost you $680 where as renewing your GC is $450.

that's all I can think of currently...
Old August 25th, 2014, 10:00 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28virgo View Post
You will have to apply for a visa or OCI card which will cost you additional money.
Cons: When you apply for OCI, its possible they (Indian company managing OCI/PIO applications) give no/no proper response about when your OCI card would be ready. Then you go over and find out they can't locate your family's newly acquired American passports, you spend a few days in NY or DC straightening out everything, eventually get a visa to India, work out your dates of travel with the airlines for the India trip that's 2 weeks away.

Cost = boarding and lodging in hotel for 3 days + air travel + new passports + missing work + reworking the travel dates for India trip .. lets say > $1500

P.S. happened about a month back to somebody I know..
Old August 25th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Super eCharchan

Waiting for someone with 25 years of experience to answer ..............

thanks for all your serious replies but in future never take someone who uses 'Dirty" as his/her handle seriously.......