eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Philosophy

Notices

Philosophy To be or not to be...

Old January 10th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Junior eCharchan

Bagheera is infamous around these partsBagheera is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Higher version of chess (more numerous squares & pieces and complexity) is not possible.

Higher version of chess (greater number of squares & pieces) doesn't have more magnificence. It is because the field is so wide that there is no scope for more complicated and interesting interplay. Even with best moves, pieces get exchanged and it is reduced to dull empty board game. Consider a chess board of 16x16 squares and proportionately greater number of pieces. Now the additional pieces would be so far from each king that it would have no effect on the game. Even if the pieces are pushed towards either king, the opponent pieces will be so many that it will give rise to simple subgames. And these subgames are restricted to their respective subregions unrelated to and insulated from other subgames. Logically the overall game isn't anymore riveting than the 8x8 variant. The current form of 64 squares is the optimum setting. The other alternative is 3-dimensional chess. But that too has the same limitation although the standard is better than the 2-dimensional arrangement. Now you know why nobody suggests increasing the number of squares or pieces on the chess board.

Last edited by Bagheera; January 14th, 2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old January 13th, 2015, 02:45 AM
Junior eCharchan

Question Re: Higher version of chess (more numerous squares & pieces and complexity) is not possible.

My post was not really a statement. It was actually a hidden question. Some day the 8x8 chess (latest 2D chess) will be solved. What then? I was hoping that someone would disagree with my statement and say that a bigger chess board might not be an empty board game and it might give rise to a new possibility.
Old January 13th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Higher version of chess (more numerous squares & pieces and complexity) is not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
My post was not really a statement. It was actually a hidden question. Some day the 8x8 chess (latest 2D chess) will be solved. What then? I was hoping that someone would disagree with my statement and say that a bigger chess board might not be an empty board game and it might give rise to a new possibility.
A bigger chess board might not be an empty board game and it might give rise to a new possibility.

Are you happy now?

Old January 13th, 2015, 08:23 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Higher version of chess (more numerous squares & pieces and complexity) is not possible.

why do you need a higher version of chess when the current version has so many possibilities. A simple google search shows me that maximum number of Chess games possible is 10516 followed by 270989 zeros give or take a few billion.

btw, good luck on inventing the higher version.
Old January 13th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Junior eCharchan

Consider a chess board of 16x16 squares and proportionately greater number of pieces. Now the additional pieces would be so far from each king that it would have no effect on the game. Even if the pieces are pushed towards either king, the opponent pieces will be so many that it will give rise to simple subgames. And these subgames are restricted to their respective subregions unrelated to and insulated from other subgames. Logically the overall game isn't anymore riveting than the 8x8 variant.
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Chess as it is - is quite complicated and takes a lots of effort to study and be good at it.
If you study chess or want to study chess , you will have to leave everything else and just do that.
Old January 13th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
Chess as it is - is quite complicated and takes a lots of effort to study and be good at it.
If you study chess or want to study chess , you will have to leave everything else and just do that.
You don't have to leave everything. You can chew gum while playing.

Old January 15th, 2015, 12:23 AM
Junior eCharchan

In variants of chess, does increasing the number of squares and proportionately increasing the number of squares increase the complexity of the game? Yes and No! This rule holds only upto some point. Beyond that the effect tapers off. If a graph of chess variant’s complexity against number of squares and pieces are drawn, it would be as shown:

Last edited by Bagheera; January 15th, 2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old January 15th, 2015, 12:54 AM
Junior eCharchan

Last edited by Bagheera; January 15th, 2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Junior eCharchan

Unhappy Re: Higher version of chess (more numerous squares & pieces and complexity) is not possible.

What if the number of kings is raised on each side and checkmate of fewer kings are required to decide winner and loser? Sadly the above discussion covers such scenarios and the answer is the same.
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
What if the number of kings is raised on each side and checkmate of fewer kings are required to decide winner and loser? Sadly the above discussion covers such scenarios and the answer is the same.
I changed my mind. I like the current 8 x 8 board. I feel thinking about hypothetical scenarios like the one stated above is a complete and utter waste of time and brain power.

Old January 21st, 2015, 10:06 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

hardly into chess, but thought of a 9 X 8 or 9 x9 with an additional piece called 'Courtesan'. This piece would be on the right side of the king with same powers as queen with the constraint that there needs to be a piece between the queen and the courtesan else, the player has to sacrifice one of them.

Could probably get more pervertedly creating by creating a harem row in front of or behind the pawns (not thought of what role or power they could have)
Old January 21st, 2015, 10:15 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It of course gives rise to new possibilities. A few years ago, I had learned a new trick instead of rock, paper, scissors. It goes like this:

scissors cuts paper
paper covers rock
rock crushes lizard
lizard poisons spock
spock smashes scissors
scissors decapitates lizard
lizard eats paper
paper disproves spock
spock vaporizes rock
and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.

I didnt make that up. Someone I dearly love did. If rock paper scissors (3 items) can make so many more possibilities, imagine an increased blocks in chess.
Old January 21st, 2015, 05:33 PM
Junior eCharchan

Unhappy Correct reason why higher versions of chess may be impossible

Correct reason why higher versions of chess may be impossible

Today’s chess consists of 64 squares and 32 pieces in total. The number of pieces in modern chess is 8x8. By higher versions I mean those variants having greater number of squares and pieces and complexity. Like for example say 9x9, 10x10 and so on.

But higher versions may not be possible because it takes abundant resources to manufacture chess equipment but actual resources are scarce. Production of chess equipment require raw material which is difficult to find. Physical creation of the board and the pieces needs matter – solid or liquid or gaseous. Matter is that which occupies space and possesses rest mass, especially as distinct from energy. But does so much matter really exist?
Old January 22nd, 2015, 09:12 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Correct reason why higher versions of chess may be impossible

I am amazed at the thought-process of Bagjeera pai. I know I am crazy and always think of crazy things... but this guy just blows my mind. The stupendity of his mind... don't think I can even grasp 1 percent of it.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless