eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old August 28th, 2015, 12:12 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie reviews of some off beat films that I saw recently

Fire in babylon

Sport and politics have always been inseparable , for as sport grows in prestige it binds the emotions of the teeming millions and becomes a vehicle for expressing popular opinion . In fact sport is more easily understandable to the common man who is least bit interested in politics and binding sport with politics makes a political event of greater interest for him .

' Fire in Babylon '......So what is Babylon ?? I had to search the internet for it.....
And the word has different meanings including a biblical one , so I had to hit upon the right meaning to understand the title in the context of the subject of the movie . It means an oppressive system where a particular race is discriminated against .

' Fire in Babylon ' is not just a documentary on the success of West Indian cricket ; it explores the emotions and the reasons behind the pride felt by people from the Caribbean Islands because of the success of their cricket team in the cricket field . As one explains , it was for the first time that the black people had produced something that was the best in the world and was unbeatable for a long time . The west Indian team of the late 70s and eighties was not just the pride and joy of the black people , it was the manifestation of black power.....
And it was not just that , it was the black challenge to those who felt that blacks were not capable of anything , and it was a fitting rebuke to the unjust system that discriminated against black people---the intention was literally to set fire in Babylon....

Against such a towering and grand backdrop we enter the movie.....

The movie unfolds through the eyes and the voices of legends of West Indian cricket---giants such as Vivian Richards , Micheal Holding , Colin Croft and Andy Roberts....we are truely in august company.....

We hear form the horses' mouths how the West Indian team was a team of gentlemanly losers in the 60s ; a team which produced occasional flashes of brilliance and individual stars like Gary Sobers , but never managed to win consistently . They were called calypso cricketeers , a name based on the brand of music that flourishes in the Caribbean---frivolous people who could not be taken seriously .
And to some dedicated individuals , that fact hurt....
It seemed that the Black man was destined to lose ; his job was to make the white man conscious of his own superiority.....

Cut to 1975---Australian tour of the West Indies.....
The West Indian cricketeers are subjected to racial abuse and physical intimidation by the arrogant Aussies , with fast bowlers like Lilee and Thompson pouring fast balls and scorn in equal measure.....

And a gentle giant of a man , the West Indian captain Clive Loyd makes a decisive decision---He would make use of the immense physical strength of the African male to produce his own fast bowlers....and while Australian fast bowlers hunt in pairs , he would outclass them in their own game by producing a quartet of them ; four menacing lethal fast bowling machines that would rain fire on their opponents....fire in Babylon !!

Its not just reform in West Indian cricket but revolution !! A revolution that is set to move the tectonic plates of the world of cricket....
For a sporting superpower is born....

And as speed demons like Andy Roberts , Micheal Holding , Joel Garner and Malcolm Marshall unleash their terror on world cricket the accusations begin to fly thick and fast---of having reduced cricket to war , though the west Indians feel that converting it to war is an elevation not a reduction

The movie is a feast for those who enjoy the perverse pleasures of seeing faces and bodies of batsmen reduced to bleeding jelly---for interspersed throughout are such shots from real matches.....

And defying all attempts to introduce new rules to curb their speed and lethality , the deadly foursome continue to rule the game ; first defeating India , then Pakistan , then Australia and then England---all in their home countries .

But for all their deeds there is no moolah.....
It is Kerry Packer the Australian billionaire who gives the devil his due by inviting the world's top cricketeers at what seem to be astronomical amounts of money at that time---changing the financial equations of the game....

And then there is the rebel tour to Apartheid struck South Africa---some black men are willing to barter their honour by playing cricket in the mecca of racism.....
Not so the superstar of cricket Vivian Richards , who refuses a million dollar check to play there , a fact appreciated by Nelson Mandela no less....

Amidst all this mayhem there is no mention of One day cricket even though the West Indies lorded over it by winning two world cups---thats because ( as a cricketeer explains ) it is test cricket which is a real TEST of the endurance of a man ; what sets apart the men from the boys . That why its called TEST cricket---other forms of cricket is for minnows .

And West Indian overlordship of test cricket lasts for 15 years---a source of immense satisfaction to dark denizens of the Caribbean isles who justly gloat that in no other sport has anyone dominated for so long.....

Amen to that....

Verdict on the movie---Good if you are a cricket aficionado .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 28th, 2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old August 28th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first ashdoc review that I have read line by line (no offense - I normally skim through the reviews everywhere). Well written review.
But I have to give some credit to King Viv without whose picture I would not have even started to read it.
Old August 28th, 2015, 09:22 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

What about Savarkar ?? ( marathi film )

Vinayak Damodar Savarkar---Leader of the Hindu mahasabha , who coined the word 'hindutva' and is considered one of the fathers of right wing nationalism....
But naturally , the parties which depend heavily upon the votes of minorities have always looked upon him as their pet hate....
So during the rule of the Congress government , petroleum minister Mani Shankar Aiyyar not only denounced Savarkar , but also had the plaque inscribing his name removed from the cellular jail in the Andamans where the British government had imprisoned him .

This movie is a nationalist's wishful dreaming---that of a marathi youth taking revenge for this insult to Savarkar by publicly humiliating the (pseudo)secular politician .
Actually no such revenge has occurred , but the movie is about what right wing nationalists would like to happen to Ayyengar ( that is the name given to the politician in the movie , though it is obvious as to who he really is ) if they managed to lay their hands upon him .

And the luminaries of the right wing nationalist movement of marathi cinema have assembled in the movie to give their powerful voice in support of this opinion....yes , Sharad Ponkshe and Avinash Narkar are both in the movie . To those who don't know , they have alternately essayed the role of mahatma Gandhi's killer Nathuram Godse in the marathi play 'Mee Nathuram Godse boltoy' ( I am Nathuram Godse speaking ) ; and they have essayed the role with such passion that they have managed to convince those who saw the play that assassinating the mahatma was the correct thing to do....

But the young man to whom the task of humiliating Ayyengar has been given is a young new actor named Shrikant Bhide ; it he who vows to garland Ayyengar with a garland of chappals at a meeting he is to address in Mumbai---so much so that Ayyengar gets shit scared of this threat and shifts his meeting to Delhi....
Yes , the young man played by Shrikant Bhide has this kind of conviction ever since his childhood ; he does not shirk from beating up a man who spits on the soil of his beloved Bharatmata , and gifts his girlfriend a bunch of Indian flags instead of roses when he goes down on his knees in front of her !! And such is his belief in Savarkar's ideal of a Akhand Bharat that his girlfriend whom he intends to marry is from what someone who forgot the Indonesian island of Bali ( Bali is hindu ) has called 'the easternmost outpost of hinduism'---the state of Manipur .

His Manipuri girlfriend is played by Sara Shravan , and Sharad Ponkshe plays his grandfather who encourages him on his mission . The moment he declares his mission on Facebook , he becomes a hunted man....his friends who verbally support him are not ready to bell the cat even though his Facebook post gets 28000 likes . On the other hand , the police declare him in rebellion against the state and TV channels merely publicize the matter for TRPs . Dubious politicians want to use his aim to further their political agenda by joining him with not the nation's flag in hand but their own party's flag....

But his girlfriend sticks loyally to him , and on the way he meets two people of castes that are different from his own Brahmin caste , but who are embibed by similar fire of nationalism---the role played by Atul Todankar is that of a maratha and Avinash Narkar plays a dalit....and both are ready to defy those from their own castes who call this an upper caste crusade....

So does our man on a mission actually complete it ?? Watch the movie for that....

This movie is like a cool breeze of fresh air after the torrent of anti national propaganda by the media and above all by Bollywood....obviously the marathi film industry is not controlled by the D-gang of Dawood Ibrahim that calls the shots of Bollywood from Karachi . The sweet words 'Vande mataram' ring on several occasions in the film ; indeed the lead actors all greet each other with them....and the tricolour is shown fluttering high and mighty in the sky numerous times . The great deeds of Chhatrapati Shivaji are remembered , and those who acceded to the partition of the country are openly denounced !!

The strong point is the music of the film . Savarkar's poems are beautifully sung with music given by guitar and the film's rendering of 'Vande mataram' is easily the best ever I have heard in my life , outclassing A R Rahman's shrill rendering of it by miles....
Photography is sublime , of Konkan's tranquil seas and virgin beaches and coconut trees gently swaying in the wind and also of Manipur's misty mountains and dense green forests . Inspirational are the shots of Amritsar's golden temple and Jallianwala baug . Superb Urdu couplets by Avinash Narkar add their own lustre to the movie .

If there is any weak point , it is climax which comes too abruptly . There should have been more drama created at the end in my opinion . The weak ending reduced my verdict from 'Good' to 'very decent' . But there is no doubt that this is the movie that nationalists have been dreaming about for a long time....and for them , it's a must see....

Verdict---Very decent .
Three stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 28th, 2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:03 AM
senior echarchan

Bombay talkies

Spoiler alert !!

Bombay talkies is a film about the power and the hold of cinema on ordinary people's lives . It seems that in the 100th year of it's inception by the legendary Dadasaheb Phalke , Bollywood wants to pat itself in the back for all the soft power it has been able to generate among the country's teeming millions .

Four directors come together to direct four different short films packaged into one , and each tries to show the influence of cinema on ordinary folk in his own style .

Of course , one should not forget that the cinema folks are the most unnecessarily self important folks in the world . They will try to create their self importance where none exists . Not for nothing has Mario Puzo remarked in his landmark novel ' The godfather ' that in places where there real economy works like for example a car factory , the work happens in absolute silence . On the other hand , in a film studio everyone is making a lot of noise to make himself or herself sound important even though the film industry's contribution to the economy is scant.....

This film is certainly another attempt by the film industry to make itself sound as important as possible---in some parts by showing some outrageous scenes seeming to showcase the extent to which cinema influences the commoners....

Take for instance , the part directed by Zoya Akhtar---where a child begins to discover that he is homosexual/transsexual and wants to be like a girl more than a guy . He idolizes Katrina Kaif and wants to dance like her wearing sexy clothes with sexy moves titillating and ensnaring the audience , but with totally feminine gestures . The attempt here is to show how Kats baby can be a powerful influence over young minds . But does it have to end in a grotosque show where this little boy organizes a dance where he gyrates like a woman ( who else but Katrina ! ) in front of a stunned gathering wearing lipstick and openly declares his gayness/transsexuality at such a tender age in such a shocking manner ??

The part directed by Karan Johar is also about ( but naturally ) gay pride---since Karan is a well known homo....
In this case a young gay man unsettles the marriage of a couple ( Rani Mukherjee looking sensational in backless blouses and exceptionally full body along with Ranadeep Hooda ) by wooing the husband and bringing out his gay tendencies . The wooing is done by making a beggar girl sing old romantic Lata Mangeshkar songs thus signalling attraction , thus again showing cinema's influence on people . But does it have to end in open mouth to mouth kissing between Ranadeep and the gay man ( played by Saqib Salim ) ???

I found myself squirming in my seat in embarrassment while seeing this male on male kissing scene as also during the gay stage dance of the small homosexual/transsexual boy . So is the film about the power of films on the population or about the power of homos in the film industry ?? There was no need to show two parts out of four concentrating on gays .

The other two parts are better . One part shows Nawazuddin Siddiquie playing a marathi man living in a chawl where his past dreams of becoming an actor have been ground to dust . One day he gets to play an insignificant role opposite a major star and his dreams are awakened and recharged . He completes the scene by adding his own fine touches to it but goes back without accepting monetary payment to tell his daughter about the experience---doesnt care about the money but about the sheer joy of being a part of the film industry for however brief a moment.....thats the passion , the glamour of celluloid.....

The fourth part pays homage to the big B---the superstar...and also to his superstardom.....
A man travels from Allahabad to Mumbai just to fulfill his father's wishes of making Amitabh taste his homemade moraba---and spends weeks trying to reach out to Bachhan.....
......And when he does manage to do so , it becomes a story to tell to his fellow passengers on the way back again and again---only to evoke the jealousy of someone who shatters his dreams....literally....
Oh , the pain of strugglers and the ultimate disappointment for many---beautifully shown as never before.....

Typically , movie reviewers have flocked to sing praises of the film because it celebrates the film industry---and they consider themselves as part of it.....
Who in his right mind would speak ill of what gives him his daily dose of moolah ??

Well , I dont consider myself as part of the film industry and dont earn any money from it---so I beg to differ.....
I found the film brilliant in parts but overall not so great....

Verdict---Okay .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 29th, 2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:12 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Keep up the good work ashdoc
Some movies here l never heard off. And I thot I am a movie buff I am tempted to get hold of some of these now. Savarkar one particularly.
I realize that sickular have successfully erased savarkar from education. I don't remember reading anything about him during school.
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:16 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
Keep up the good work ashdoc
Old August 29th, 2015, 11:50 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Bombay talkies

Spoiler alert !!

I found the film brilliant in parts but overall not so great....

Verdict---Okay .
I just found the Nawazuddin part OK. Agree with you on Zoya and K Jo part, or on the nawazuddin part. Only, i found the Big B Murabba part also a bit irritating.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 04:51 AM
senior echarchan

Court ( marathi film )

Its is a well acted superbly directed film . but it paints upper caste maharashtrians of mumbai as anti immigrants ( up bihar ) ,as anti muslim and above all as as anti dalit . there is a scene where the defence lawyer describes how a muslim guy was repeatedly rearrested by police after being being released by courts . there is a scene of marathis applauding an anti bhaiyya play where a bhaiyya guy is kicked out by a marathi father from his house for daring to romance his daughter . of course , the dalit hero of the film is harassed by court because he is dalit and has dared to challenge the upper caste system . so according to the director upper caste marathis are the villains . this is not openly said but very subtly brought out in the film . so inspite of all the quotas and reservations given to dalits we ( upper caste maharashtrians ) still are supposed to be bad . but the scene of the lawyer describing how the muslim guy was rearrested really sucked . does the director know how hindus are treated in pakistan , and how much better are muslims treated here ?? and even though maharashtrians have now decisively rejected raj thackeray and voted for BJP in maharashtra assembly elections , the director keeps on harping that marathis are still in the raj thackeray anti bhaiyya mindset---that this mindset is permanent . and no maharashtrian comes out to defend the dalit hero . the lawyer who defends the dalit hero is a gujarati who comes from a rich family but has devoted his life to helping the underclass . again , does the director want to say that only immigrants to mumbai like gujaratis are good while marathis are heartless ?? however i agree that dalits still face some prejudice because of their caste . but this film reeks of political correctness---it follows the well worn path of putting blame of all evil on upper caste hindus . that path has already been trodden many times by the hindi film industry .

Having said this , let me say that the film has many points worth praise . acting is most natural , and for the first time we get to see how a court functions , devoid of the drama created by mainstream films . the mindset of those who are trying the dalit activist in court ( he has been arrested for inciting suicide of a lower caste person by his inspirational songs ) is brought out by showing scenes from their normal out of courtroom lives. the dalit activist comes out as a heroic tragic figure stoically bearing all the injustices inflicted by upper caste society without losing hope . the judge and the prosecution lawyer are shown to have really small minds compared to this large hearted dalit activist . but this kind of targeting of upper caste hindus by the film industry has become all too regular---seen even in PK and HAIDER and countless bollywood films .

VERDICT---GOOD

3.5 stars

Last edited by ashdoc; September 2nd, 2015 at 04:57 AM.
Old September 4th, 2015, 07:16 AM
senior echarchan

Passion play

Sometimes it's good to read reviews panning a bad film before you actually see it . You don't expect anything from the film , and when it is somewhat better than what the reviews suggested , you feel great !!

That's what happened to my program of watching Passion play on DVD .

I found that this odd movie had something to hold my interest ; maybe I found it's very eccentricity to be interesting....

The leading actor Mickey Rourke plays the role of an oddball character in a movie which has been made---most probably---by an oddball himself . He actually is stupid enough to sleep with the wife of a notorious gangster , and in revenge he is going to be bumped of by the gangster's hitman in the desert . But is saved just in the nick of time by some native Americans , or so it seems....

As Mickey wanders back , he stumbles onto a circus that crops up from nowhere . How come a circus springs up in the middle of the desert ?? As I told you , the whole movie is as odd as it gets and it keeps getting odder....

.....For in the circus , Mickey finds a beautiful girl ( Megan Fox ) with wings !! Yes , real wings !!

Is she an angel or just a freak of nature ?? Wait for the answer to this at the end of the movie.....

Anyway , Mickey wants to help Megan run away from the drudgery of the circus and it's owner who is exploiting her . But the owner of the circus finds this out and is about to kill Mickey with the bite of a poisonous snake . But Megan saves his life ( once again Mickey is saved at the door of death !!...or is he ?? ) and together they run off....

And the inevitable happens---the two fall in love and make love , the considerable impediment of the wings in lovemaking not withstanding . But what is more eccentric than watching a man make love to a woman with wings is the oddity of the pairing between the fifty plus aged Mickey Rourke and the 20 something Megan Fox---the two look horribly mismatched from the word go....

......Or maybe Megan who has seen only exploitation all her life finds something real and pure in the love and care that Mickey showers on her , and falls in love with that . There is something intriguing even in the corny parts of the movie , and I found myself wanting to know what lay ahead....

However the death threat of the gangster who originally wanted him killed ( played by Bill Murray ) hangs above Mickey's head , and Mickey decides to let Bill Murray earn money by displaying his winged girl at shows---a freak that is bound to attract crowds . In return Mickey wants Murray to spare his life .

But once Murray lays his eyes on her , he wants to keep the beautiful Megan for himself .

And when Mickey loses Megan , he realizes the depth of his love for her and wants her back at all costs . And he is willing to die for that....

The slogan of the movie is---'Love is stronger than death' .

So will love prove to be stronger than death ?? Will the star crossed lovers be able to get back together ?? And do girls with wings really exist , or are they stuff of fictional stories like mermaids ?? Watch the movie for the answers....

The colours of the movie are rich and vibrant , and the photography is excellent .
The background music has real depth and feeling and is worth hearing .

Inspite of these factors , what works against the movie is the inability of the director to decide whether he wants to make an art movie or a commercial one . There are some movies which straddle both sides but the director cannot make this one like any of them .

Of course , there is something intriguing about the story of an elderly former heroin addict ( Mickey Rourke ) and a girl with wings who fall in love . And something more intriguing about a gangster ( Murray ) who throws a spanner in the works . Also the same about the circus owner who is searching for his girl and for some revenge on Mickey....

Mickey Rourke plays the role of a man who always stumbles in life , and is always on the way of stumbling out of it....
But somewhere I could empathize with the love he feels for the beautiful but god forsaken girl who has wings , and I thought that he was the man to play an oddball to perfection....

Megan Fox looks confused in some scenes , and Bill Murray is only okay....
But it is not a regular film and does not depend on the acting of it's star cast . Rather it is film which is attractive because of it's 'strangeness' .

And the strangeness I thought , was attractive enough....

Verdict----At least I liked it...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ending of the movie did give me a high .

Megan unsuccessfully tries to fly with her wings in earlier parts of the movie with Mickey Rourke's encouragement---but to no avail....Her wings seemingly do not have the strength to help her fly . Her wings just seem to be freaks of nature---destined to be for show purposes .

At the end , as Megan and Mickey are trying to flee the gangland boss Bill Murray's clutches , they have to run to the top of a building . As Bill Murray and his men are following them , there seems to be no escape from here---except to jump from the top of the building to a certain death....

But while Mickey is jumping Megan tries one last time to fly---and such is her desperation to save her lover that her efforts succeed and she can fly !! And she holds the falling Mickey and carries him along with her away from the building and the gangster's clutches towards freedom !! Up and away they fly far off over the desert....

Admittedly the sight of the damsel in distress suddenly developing the strength to fly in order to save her lover and carrying him to safety was one the more uplifting moments I have seen on celluloid in a long time . Maybe I liked the movie because of that....

Last edited by ashdoc; September 4th, 2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:09 AM
senior echarchan

Bhumika ( 1977 )

This movie is based on the autobiography of Hansa Wadkar , an actress who ruled marathi cinema in the 1940s . Her autobiography ( titled ' Listen while I am telling ' ) , when it was released , caused a sensation due to the graphic revelations of her bedroom dalliances with various men---something that no actress would have dared to do in those backward times when Indian women feared being branded as sluts and shunned by society if they revealed their sexual encounters . It is said that Hansa Wadkar was heavily addicted to drink and needed money to buy her alcohol as she was in poor financial shape at the end of her days---hence she wrote her biography , hoping the sensational revelations would sell her book in large numbers and get her money for alcohol . The book sold well , but she died in poverty anyway .

She was born in a family of dancing girls . Though not prostitutes , these girls were not considered fully respectable as they danced in provocative attire and with suggestive movements in front of men . And for that very reason , she was considered perfect material for the film industry . For films required women who danced and frolicked in a similar manner , and women of respectable families did not have the guts to expose their bodies during those backward times .

In the film Hansa is named Usha Dalvi . Her husband ( Keshav Dalvi ) is the one who discovers her , as he realises that she has fine acting talent as well as dancing skills . Her mother opposes her entry in the film industry because she has a premonition that the wicked ways of this industry will spoil her , but her grandmother is all for it . She soon turns into a overnight success , and fame and fortune is bestowed on her . Keshav secretly lusts for her , but it is she who takes the lead in taking him to bed ; and she is soon pregnant though unwed .

Keshav and she get married before her daughter is born , and Usha now wants to leave films and only take care of Keshav's household and live as a housewife . But Keshav is now addicted to the money he is getting as Usha's business manager , and forces her to act again . He begins to live off her money , and his greedy selfish nature now comes out .

Her disgust at Keshav's behaviour forces Usha into the arms of a long time admirer ( played by Anant Nag ) , invoking Keshav's jealousy . He physically beats her for infidelity , leading her away from him into the bed of another admirer ( played by Naseeruddin Shah ) . But both her admirers are men of straw and ditch her when it comes to commitment .

Finally she finds a real man in a rich landlord ( played by Amrish Puri ) who treats her well as his second wife , and she manages to win even the heart of his family to the extent that they become emotionally dependent on her . But he is too orthodox and restricts her freedom in every way possible . She wants to break free from this bondage , but receives sound advice from his sick bedridden first wife---'' If you break even this relationship , you have no future . Men will come and go , and the beds that they will enjoy you on will keep on changing . But no one else other than my husband will form a lasting relationship with you . Accept your fate adjust to this relationship permanently . '' But Usha has lived a glamourous life---been the heart and soul of filmy parties and been a free bird . Can she accept restrictions on her freedom ?? Watch the movie for the answer .

Actress Smita Patil , who was the doyen of Indian art cinema in the 70s and 80s , has capably brought to life the personality of Hansa Wadkar in this film . It is regarded as one of her best performances . Smita was not beautiful , but what she lacked in beauty she more than made up in acting talent . And 'Bhoomika' is no exception as far as her acting is concerned....

One wonders if the fault for her misfortunes lay in the bold personality of Hansa Wadkar ; whether she was too forward in those backward times.....For later in the film there is a poignant scene in which a much more mature and much chastened Usha is shown explaining to her daughter the need for a woman to not stain her 'character' . But by that time it is too late in her own life....

There are no songs in the film . Master director of art films Shyam Benegal added one more feather to his growing cap with this film . Of course , it can be appreciated only by those with a yen for art films . Commercial cinema aficionados might not appreciate this film .

Verdict---Good .
Old September 9th, 2015, 07:53 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing Bhumika when DD had newly started late night adult movies. A good one as mentioned by Docji.

One thing i could add is direction by Shyam Benegal has some magic and the sets seem quite authentic somewhat like his 'Discovery of India'.
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

ashdoc,

Hats off that you had the patience to see and write reviews of these movies I had never heard of till I read this thread.

One suggestion - You write things like "What happens next?" "Does she get .."

Who the fuck cares? Dont you think you will do the readers a service by actually writing out the ending of the film too? Or do you think rest of the members have enough time to watch this drivel?
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Court ( marathi film )

Its is a well acted superbly directed film . but it paints upper caste maharashtrians of mumbai as anti immigrants ( up bihar ) ,as anti muslim and above all as as anti dalit . there is a scene where the defence lawyer describes how a muslim guy was repeatedly rearrested by police after being being released by courts . there is a scene of marathis applauding an anti bhaiyya play where a bhaiyya guy is kicked out by a marathi father from his house for daring to romance his daughter . of course , the dalit hero of the film is harassed by court because he is dalit and has dared to challenge the upper caste system . so according to the director upper caste marathis are the villains . this is not openly said but very subtly brought out in the film . so inspite of all the quotas and reservations given to dalits we ( upper caste maharashtrians ) still are supposed to be bad . but the scene of the lawyer describing how the muslim guy was rearrested really sucked . does the director know how hindus are treated in pakistan , and how much better are muslims treated here ?? and even though maharashtrians have now decisively rejected raj thackeray and voted for BJP in maharashtra assembly elections , the director keeps on harping that marathis are still in the raj thackeray anti bhaiyya mindset---that this mindset is permanent . and no maharashtrian comes out to defend the dalit hero . the lawyer who defends the dalit hero is a gujarati who comes from a rich family but has devoted his life to helping the underclass . again , does the director want to say that only immigrants to mumbai like gujaratis are good while marathis are heartless ?? however i agree that dalits still face some prejudice because of their caste . but this film reeks of political correctness---it follows the well worn path of putting blame of all evil on upper caste hindus . that path has already been trodden many times by the hindi film industry .

Having said this , let me say that the film has many points worth praise . acting is most natural , and for the first time we get to see how a court functions , devoid of the drama created by mainstream films . the mindset of those who are trying the dalit activist in court ( he has been arrested for inciting suicide of a lower caste person by his inspirational songs ) is brought out by showing scenes from their normal out of courtroom lives. the dalit activist comes out as a heroic tragic figure stoically bearing all the injustices inflicted by upper caste society without losing hope . the judge and the prosecution lawyer are shown to have really small minds compared to this large hearted dalit activist . but this kind of targeting of upper caste hindus by the film industry has become all too regular---seen even in PK and HAIDER and countless bollywood films .

VERDICT---GOOD

3.5 stars
Why the fuck should Maharashtrians be apologetic?
Old September 9th, 2015, 03:01 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
ashdoc,

Hats off that you had the patience to see and write reviews of these movies I had never heard of till I read this thread.

One suggestion - You write things like "What happens next?" "Does she get .."

Who the fuck cares? Dont you think you will do the readers a service by actually writing out the ending of the film too? Or do you think rest of the members have enough time to watch this drivel?
Whenever i have revealed too much of the storyline of a film i have received criticism . When i had written the first proper review of a film ( kurbaan ) on this very forum in 2009 or 2010 , i was slammed for revealing too much .

Last edited by ashdoc; September 9th, 2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old September 9th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

But,we poor people can't afford to watch the movies so revealing the end would be a blessing for us and we will bless u k Tera chasme ka number na bade