eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Economy

Notices

Economy Fiscally fit?

Old September 29th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bullet Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
It is mostly distance. If you look at a map, the direct distance between Bombay to A'bad is about a tenth of the distance you would normally take by land. This saves both distance and time.
oh cool! Then it makes sense. Now, if only we didnt have to borrow 80%
Old September 30th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
oh cool! Then it makes sense. Now, if only we didnt have to borrow 80%
methinks - it should only be done on borrowed money. that's how you would build infrastructure even if you cant afford it outright.
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
methinks - it should only be done on borrowed money. that's how you would build infrastructure even if you cant afford it outright.
It was a thought that focused more on if we really cannot afford it.

I for one always believed that if you can, pay for it. Dont do credit.
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It was a thought that focused more on if we really cannot afford it.

I for one always believed that if you can, pay for it. Dont do credit.
If businesses run that way then... we wouldn't be where we are today. Especially America. I am surprised that you being from the financial background would have such beliefs. Individual, yeah fine. But for a country... maybe not work out.

"If you are unsure of what happened in the past and what is happening in the present then how can you be sure of what will happen tomorrow?" - saneless
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:00 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why does it need to go under water? cant they build on land? Its not like Mumbai and Ahmedabad are separated by Atlantic (example) where you have no option but to go under/over/above water? pardon my ignorance.
Welcome back Ashiji.
Where did you find that would going under water (unless someone metaphorically meant that project is under water.
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
If businesses run that way then... we wouldn't be where we are today. Especially America. I am surprised that you being from the financial background would have such beliefs. Individual, yeah fine. But for a country... maybe not work out.
See, this is where I see a lot of companies/ governments get into trouble. They take really long term loans with every intent of paying back. See United States for example. How much debt does that country has? At least its thriving on its popularity (which may change after election). But for India? Its not just this debt right Sane? How much debt is OK for it to get into? What happens when things change? Bankrupt a country?

I am not against borrowing mind you. I am against the concept of borrowing for this kinds of sum at that percentage for that long.
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Welcome back Ashiji.
Where did you find that would going under water (unless someone metaphorically meant that project is under water.
fist post, first line
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
See, this is where I see a lot of companies/ governments get into trouble. They take really long term loans with every intent of paying back. See United States for example. How much debt does that country has? At least its thriving on its popularity (which may change after election). But for India? Its not just this debt right Sane? How much debt is OK for it to get into? What happens when things change? Bankrupt a country?

I am not against borrowing mind you. I am against the concept of borrowing for this kinds of sum at that percentage for that long.
Well, I am not from a financial background... and sometimes admire these businesses/countries that borrow with impunity... like there is no tomorrow... and then live lives of lavishness. Especially individuals who represent such businesses and countries. Even if they get caught... yes, they get jail time or sometimes get shot (depending on the country you represent)... but they have lived their lives royally and have provided royalty to most in their family. Saala, apun bhi aisa karega tho

"If you are unsure of what happened in the past and what is happening in the present then how can you be sure of what will happen tomorrow?" - saneless
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

almost every country has debt. the perceived ability of that country to repay back dictates the interest rates they get on their loans. Greece for example now is seen as a country with less ability to re-pay hence they get loans at very high interest rate - in that situation they will not want to go for more loans.
there in comes deficit - they have committed spend and dont have money to pay for it and dont want to/cant get loan to honour that commitment. If you are from fin background, this is not new for you - so I dont know why am I spending time typing it!

so, debt within limits is ok. even at personal level, people sometimes deliberately go for debt - for example a sofa deal is about 0% interest on payments for 1 year, people move the money ear-marked for sofa to FD or some such investment and get the sofa on the debt. This is all small fry.
its the same concept whether the loan is large or small - as long as interest rates are decent.

sometimes its about the value of investment at the end of the loan - one gets a house on debt with as much as 90% loan even at interest rates as high as 10% - all because the value of the house at the end and the money they have saved not paying rent is more than the principal + interest of home loan.
Old October 1st, 2016, 07:18 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
fist post, first line
Now it comes up. It is 21 km out of 500 KM in Mumbai. It would probably be cheaper and definitely faster than acquiring land for the route within Mumbai. They could build it under Mumbai too, but it may be deep within to avoid crossing Sewer lines, etc.
Apparently thats what happened when digging for Calcutta Metro started.
Old October 1st, 2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Generally, a project needs to prove its viability strongly to get debt finance (to avoid this long process Dhirubhai started the Cult of IPO). But in this case, surely Japanese would have sought government guarantee. this project is also a bit political. Both Japan and India need to get together to rival China's large high speed rail networks. Generally such projects are highly loss making across the world and more meant to showcase technology. Here, Modi Sarkar seems to be banking on the 'India story'. At the time of loan, probably the budget (dont know bit say 20 Billion yen) would be a large amount. But at the end, it may not be large at all.

And here is how it works for Indian industrialists. They will start a project with another subsidiary company and lenders lend for it believing in the viability or in many cases simply the Seth ji pulling the strings (or bribing the top guys). In case the project works, the lenders get back the principal and interest and the profit is kept by the Seth ji. In case the project doesn't work out, the lenders lose their money, the company is bankrupted, but it is the subsidiary. The Seth ji is not affected. Only when too much is spent on loss making projects, it starts to bite like for Subroto Roy and Vijay Mallya (he actually sold his cash cow to finance the ariline and IPL). I have never seen any Sethji put his (or in very few cases her) own money into any business.