eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > International Politics

Notices

International Politics Hey aren't we all experts at world politics?

Old September 29th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
What is the deal with Snowden?

I keep hearing radically conflicting news about whether or not he is a traitor.
Exactly what information did he leak?
Old September 29th, 2016, 07:27 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the deal with Snowden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I keep hearing radically conflicting news about whether or not he is a traitor.
Exactly what information did he leak?
How many years have you been in coma? Was it induced or accidental?

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; September 29th, 2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old September 29th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
How many years have you been in coma? Was it induced or accidental?
I see a lot of guys have this tendency; make a joke out of it if they have no clue what I am talking about...back in those dating days
Old September 29th, 2016, 08:13 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I see a lot of guys have this tendency; make a joke out of it if they have no clue what I am talking about...back in those dating days
You're expected to read the headlines and know a bit about it. Especially if you are educated and modern.

I think the most pertinent question, at least for me, is, what has changed since Snowden, or what impact his leaks have had?

From NYT:

Quote:
5 ways Edward Snowden has changed the world since 2013 NSA document leaks

Hero, traitor, geek - no matter what you think of Edward Snowden there is no doubt that he has changed the world a great deal.

In June 2013, the globe-shaking document leaks from Snowden put a spotlight on the National Security Agency's domestic spying.

The revelations Snowden presented to journalist Glenn Greenwald — who worked at the Guardian at the time of the disclosures — have made people question the Obama administration's mass surveillance practices.

The U.S. government also considered making changes to its surveillance programs such as Prism.

Two years later, here's how the world has changed since the shocking evidence were revealed:

1. Questioning security practices and "intelligence failures," MI5, MI6 and Britain's Government Communications Headquarters publicly testified in front of Parliament for the first time ever.

Topics covered by the Parliament Intelligence and Security Committee include security services oversight and global newspapers' involvement in the Snowden leak.

2. The German government ends its ties with wireless company Verizon after Snowden claimed that the U.S. had conducted mass surveillance in Germany, including tapping on Chancellor Angela Merkel's mobile phone.

Other American companies soon followed in Verizon's footsteps with Boeing and Brazil ending its $4 billion-plus defense contract in 2013.

3. There was a rise in encryption and user privacy startup companies who have developed apps and hardware with higher security — from Wickr messaging, Silent Circle's Blackphone and more.

Tech giants like Google and Yahoo stepped up their security following the disclosures by adding encryption to users' emails.

4. A redacted 39-page Pentagon report — "DoD Information Review Task Force-2: Initial Assessment, Impacts Resulting from the Compromise of Classified Material by a Former NSA Contractor" — was released in 2014.

Twelve of the 39 pages from the report were made public — saying that the NSA documents leaked by Snowden were "the scope of the compromised knowledge related to US intelligence capabilities is staggering."

There is no known evidence that Snowden has provided any NSA documents to a "foreign adversary," according to The Guardian.

5. Most cybersecurity experts agree that Snowden has had a magnanimous impact in the community.

"Snowden has managed to rack up 1.18 million followers within a short period of time," Dodi Glenn, vice president of cyber security at PC Pitstop, LLC, told the Daily News in an email. "Several polls show some view Snowden as a traitor, while others view him as a hero or whistle-blower."

"To some degree, he has caused people around the world to further question their government," Glenn continued. "He has certainly caused many to lose trust in the government. The trend in reporting government leaks may have already started as sites like Wikileaks get more content."

Maybe not turn into hacktivists overnight, but people in the tech industry sympathize with him.

"The fact Edward Snowden has revealed the incredible level of monitoring that is going on has made Netizens more wary, cautious and outright suspicious about what they receive and send on the Net," Stu Sjouwerman, founder and CEO of software company KnowBe4, said in an email to the Daily News.

"As the Net really still is in Beta, and the NSA in 1978 voted against encryption of Internet data, we are dealing with an infrastructure that is at the very same time exciting and scary,” said in the email. “Snowden has shed some light on the dark side and we should all be thankful to him."
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
You're expected to read the headlines and know a bit about it. Especially if you are educated and modern.

I think the most pertinent question, at least for me, is, what has changed since Snowden, or what impact his leaks have had?

From NYT:
Why are you so cross?!
Old September 29th, 2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Why are you so cross?!
Who started the thread not knowing about Snowden and then you say I don't have a clue what you are talking about?
Old September 29th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Who started the thread not knowing about Snowden and then you say I don't have a clue what you are talking about?
never mind sarvi
Old September 29th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Snowden worked at NSA (National Security Agency) as a contractor, and came to know that the US Government spies/studies not only criminals but a lot of other unsuspecting individuals through its comprehensive surveillance programs, all over the world without necessarily having a probable cause. He was uncomfortable with this fact, and decided to leak a lot of classified information at the risk of being called a traitor.

I haven't kept up with each and every leak, but just knowing that Gov't is looking into your personal matters -- probably looking me up right now because of a few keywords that I typed in this reply -- was an eye opener and felt it was disgusting. What's funny is I always thought and believed that Gov't can monitor anything they want ever since I watched "Enemy of the State" (Will Smith) many years ago

Some people see him as a traitor, while others see him as a whistle blower who thinks Gov't is too powerful and has no business in violating people's privacy and trust.

I personally feel he's done a great service to the nation, and should be pardoned and allowed back in the country.

Look for a documentary called Citizenfour. It used to be on YouTube, but not sure if it's available in your land.

His twitter: https://twitter.com/snowden

Sent from my iPhone.
Old September 29th, 2016, 12:28 PM

More than the Government, I'm scared about private companies using all the information about us and profiling based on our internet and digital footprint.

For example: Gmail prompts me with 3-4 suggestions of what to reply to an email.

Say, you email me do you want to come over for dinner tonight? Gmail would prompt me to reply with "Sure, see you then" or "Alright!" or "What time?".

So it has read and understands what was written in my emails. Now the question is .. who all are they sharing this with? Are they deriving any inferences from it?
Old September 29th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
I personally feel he's done a great service to the nation, and should be pardoned and allowed back in the country.

Look for a documentary called Citizenfour. It used to be on YouTube, but not sure if it's available in your land.

His twitter: https://twitter.com/snowden
I think so too. I read and gathered from several sources that none of the information that was shared would put the safety of United States at risk. Of course, I dont have access to everything that was leaked.
Having said that, media seem to unduly spread the image that there is this secrecy Oath that was violated. Apparently there is no such thing. There is of course a non disclosure agreement. You may ask how is breaking those two any different. Breaking an Oath would make you a traitor. Breaking an agreement would make you...what?

I dont know. Thats why this whole thread. What people here think should be the right charge for Snowden. Of course I was following the news as much as I can (which is not much).
Old September 30th, 2016, 12:41 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

In a way its good that common folks like me now know that the government might be spying on my private life.

But as an employee on contract (or for that matter as a full time employee) has no right - legally and ethically - to leak any confidential information in violation of the contract and non disclosure agreements signed by the employe.
Old September 30th, 2016, 01:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post

But as an employee on contract (or for that matter as a full time employee) has no right - legally and ethically - to leak any confidential information in violation of the contract and non disclosure agreements signed by the employe.
But is this analogy correct in a democracy?
Old September 30th, 2016, 04:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
But is this analogy correct in a democracy?
No! That's the point. Where is your allegiance supposed to be? To a country you said you would honour and protect or to an agreement that binds you to keep quite when you know something that is going against the same constitution you said you would protect?

It may depend on the nature of the leak but from what I gather, the leaks were not a direct threat to the nation.

Pardon Snowden.
Old September 30th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
In a way its good that common folks like me now know that the government might be spying on my private life.

precisely why whistleblower laws and policies are around. where something wrong or illegal is happening, a whistleblower brings it out in the world even if it contradicts Non-disclosure agreements they have signed.
Old September 30th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
precisely why whistleblower laws and policies are around. where something wrong or illegal is happening, a whistleblower brings it out in the world even if it contradicts Non-disclosure agreements they have signed.
AND he has not sold the information to the enemies.