eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old December 24th, 2016, 07:26 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to do in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
I'll most likely be staying at the Oberoi, so I'm hoping to not have to go too far up north.
If you could stretch up a bit north you could meet Ashdoc pai (you could find him in one of those multiplexes somewhere in lower parel.)

More northward and probably you could run into Sutradharji and swamiji.

And if Mumbai disappoints you you could go 50 miles north to Ambernath

Else, have fun. Understand you are a vegetarian. Are you into spirits? i did give some spiritual advice in a previous post.

There was a revolving restaurant in Ambassador hotel. If you go on a weekday it may not be too crowded and one revolution gives you a good view of both Wankhede stadium and Brabourne stadium (at least we did in 2002). Docji, Swamiji, Sutradharji, is it open now?

If you could get a sea facing room, that itself would give a great view of the 'queen's necklace'
Old December 24th, 2016, 02:51 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
If you could stretch up a bit north you could meet Ashdoc pai (you could find him in one of those multiplexes somewhere in lower parel.)

More northward and probably you could run into Sutradharji and swamiji.

And if Mumbai disappoints you you could go 50 miles north to Ambernath

Else, have fun. Understand you are a vegetarian. Are you into spirits? i did give some spiritual advice in a previous post.

There was a revolving restaurant in Ambassador hotel. If you go on a weekday it may not be too crowded and one revolution gives you a good view of both Wankhede stadium and Brabourne stadium (at least we did in 2002). Docji, Swamiji, Sutradharji, is it open now?

If you could get a sea facing room, that itself would give a great view of the 'queen's necklace'
yes the revolving restaurant at ambassador hotel is open .

there was another revolving restaurant at sea rock hotel in bandra , but the hotel was bombed by dawood's goons in 1993 bomb blasts and the hotel never reopened after that
Old December 24th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be a pure-veg restaurant in the Oberoi-Sheraton area... very famous, with fabulous food. You may want to try it, Chrarbali pai. Had heard about it a lot and visited it just once. Well worth it. Bas naam yaad nahi aa raha hai

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:08 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

so, what happened? Where all did you go and what all did you do? Back already?

btw, I will be heading to Gurugram (Gurgaon)/Delhi for about 3 weeks to attend a wedding in the family mid January. Will report back on Kejriwal, the fog, pollution and odd-even as I meet with commoners. Also, will be going to Punjab, so will hopefully report on the state elections there, I think due in March or so.

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; December 29th, 2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:10 AM
Banned

MiyaBhai is a splendid one to beholdMiyaBhai is a splendid one to beholdMiyaBhai is a splendid one to beholdMiyaBhai is a splendid one to beholdMiyaBhai is a splendid one to beholdMiyaBhai is a splendid one to beholdMiyaBhai is a splendid one to behold

Spitting is a pastime for mumbaikkars. It's a filthy place for vacation.
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
so, what happened? Where all did you go and what all did you do? Back already?

btw, I will be heading to Gurugram (Gurgaon)/Delhi for about 3 weeks to attend a wedding in the family mid January. Will report back on Kejriwal, the fog, pollution and odd-even as I meet with commoners. Also, will be going to Punjab, so will hopefully report on the state elections there, I think due in March or so.
Still in Mumbai. Managed to hit a few spots based on the suggestions here. Unable to post much at the moment but will do as and when I get a chance.

Quick summary:

- out of the airport, Bihari taxi driver started throwing fit because of amount of bags
- gateway of India, super crowded and long lines to get inside the barricade, just saw it from outside and took some photos
- hard to appreciate the beautiful architecture of Taj Hotel from streets, as being close to the Gateway of India probably offers much better vista point
- walked to Bademiya from there (though I'm vegetarian), but it was closed - around 2 pm I think
- kept walking through the market streets, ended up at Leopold Cafe. Good lunch.

More later.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old December 30th, 2016, 05:53 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me if you noticed a big number of young guys sporting beards.. I think it's a fashion off late in India.
Old December 30th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tell me if you noticed a big number of young guys sporting beards.. I think it's a fashion off late in India.
Ranbir Singh style and you seem to not notice those pony tails on the head
Old December 30th, 2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Ranbir Singh style and you seem to not notice those pony tails on the head
I don't think I noticed many pony tails.. but many young guys on TV having beards.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 04:00 AM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, it is definitely a popular trend.

I'm in Ahmedabad for last few days. Lots of Ranbirs here too

Sent from my iPhone.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 01:32 PM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

Highlights of my mumbai trip

Brunch/Dinner at the JW Cafe JW Marriott Sahar
The pool at above JW
gateway of India - a 30 RS instant pic with the family is a good keepsake
ambani bungalow on altamount road
drive thru the Worli Sea Link while watching the sun set over a hazy arabian sea
lunch at secret spice on LBS Marg Mulund
Aloo tiki Burger at MCD
chaat at girgaum chowpatti (gotta be the last thing you do so that if things go wrong you can shit all the way back on the air india flight home)

Uber/Ola all around..

Took one of the yellow/black taxis - but buggers keep the windows down - bad for the throat due to the pollution - so not high on my list..
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
There used to be a pure-veg restaurant in the Oberoi-Sheraton area... very famous, with fabulous food. You may want to try it, Chrarbali pai. Had heard about it a lot and visited it just once. Well worth it. Bas naam yaad nahi aa raha hai
I was racking my brains for the name of this restaurant... and suddenly, just like that, it struck me... Purohit. Somewhere close to Nariman Point. Don't know if it is still open

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
I was racking my brains for the name of this restaurant... and suddenly, just like that, it struck me... Purohit. Somewhere close to Nariman Point. Don't know if it is still open
i believe that was in churchgate - have eaten there
Old January 4th, 2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzrhino View Post
Highlights of my mumbai trip

Brunch/Dinner at the JW Cafe JW Marriott Sahar
The pool at above JW
gateway of India - a 30 RS instant pic with the family is a good keepsake
ambani bungalow on altamount road
drive thru the Worli Sea Link while watching the sun set over a hazy arabian sea
lunch at secret spice on LBS Marg Mulund
Aloo tiki Burger at MCD
chaat at girgaum chowpatti (gotta be the last thing you do so that if things go wrong you can shit all the way back on the air india flight home)

Uber/Ola all around..

Took one of the yellow/black taxis - but buggers keep the windows down - bad for the throat due to the pollution - so not high on my list..
charchila gaya Mumbai aur details aayi razzrhino se.. hmm.
Old January 4th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
charchila gaya Mumbai aur details aayi razzrhino se.. hmm.
kyon 2 desi log mumbai nahi ja sakta hai kya ? kaisa pagal schizo faaram hai