eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old July 5th, 2015, 09:07 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Movies you liked but did not agree

Now, for a change, instead of piling on another thread, i am staring my own thread. This one inspired by Docji's recent thread on movies didnt want to like but liked.

This is for movies, which you liked or thought they were well made, but did not agree with what they were saying. Here they go for me -

1. Maachis - I felt it was rationalizing terrorism and in a dialog painted Hindus coming into India like Mohajirs in Pakistan. But the performances were good. Tabu went to next level with this and the movie was in general well paced and engrossing.

2. Chakravyuh. - Saw this in a flight and actually finished it. Very engrossing and well directedc. Good performances by both Abhay Deol and Arjun Rampal. But was pushing the Naxalite ideology.
Old July 5th, 2015, 10:01 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movies you liked but did not agree

PK .

The movie had anti hindu overtones , and the pakistani boyfriend angle really sucked .

but what a story , what acting....
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:07 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

From another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
yes , kalidas' points are good . but the movie is good even though the message of the movie is not .
most people tend to dislike the movie if they disagree with what the movie says . even if the movie is good .

i on the other hand look at how the movie is made rather than what it says . i may disagree with the movie's points ( that is , the points that the movie is making ) but i may like how it has been made .

for example , most hindus disliked ' my name is khan ' . even i disagreed with the points the film was making . but that does not mean the movie was bad . it was decent . but most hindus did not like 'MNIK' because they disagreed with what the movie says . i also disagreed ( like typical hindu ) but the movie was decently made . not great or even good . just decent .
My taste is normally ulta. I avoid hit movies or those with good reviews from paid critics line Shubhra Gupta.
Same is with MNIK. First 20 minutes and I am off it. As it is, I cannot tolerate Hakla, and in this he was even more irritating. And K Jo and co were building this up as some kind of an off beat art movie (anything outside Rahul Tina romance is offbeat for K Jo).
Old August 25th, 2015, 09:25 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

MNIK is one of the most BS movies I have ever seen, I still remember me cringing every minute of sitting next to rop friend who is a huuuuge SRK fan. I should probably add that I don't like this movie one bit nor do I agree with it.

Just don't get me started on this worst adaptation of Forrest Gump.
Old August 25th, 2015, 10:01 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

What's is the meaning of liked but did not agree? I liked govinda's couple mindless comedy movies where he has 2 wives who finally forgive & forget.

Also couple movies where father is so idealistic that he sacrifices his son's life without a whimper. Or manoj bajpai destroying his own family in Shool. I respect such people but....
Old August 28th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Junior eCharchan

Memento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud of

Life in a dot dot dot Metro - an almost perfect movie. 2007. Impressive star cast - most went on to do pretty good films. Irrfan Khan, Konkana Sen Sharma, Kangana Ranaut, Kay Kay Menon. Music was good.. beautiful songs, woven well into the film with a band singing them.

Except for one ending - Shilpa Shetty, who has a straying husband, does not go away with Shiney Ahuja. Comes to the railway station as promised, but only to say goodbye to him. Felt bad for Shiney Ahuja.. until years later he went and did hanky-panky with a maid. : )

Would have been nice to see the woman walk out of an unhappy marriage and towards love...
Old August 29th, 2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento Vivere View Post
Felt bad for Shiney Ahuja.. until years later he went and did hanky-panky with a maid. : )
Here it mixes up real and reel life. I am a fan of Sanjay Dutt movies, but am not opposed to punishing his crimes.
Old September 4th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Junior eCharchan

Memento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Here it mixes up real and reel life. I am a fan of Sanjay Dutt movies, but am not opposed to punishing his crimes.
True.. I tend to connect real life of actors to their movies more than is fair. Ms. Shabana Azmi - a fine actress.. and almost any movie of hers worth watching.. but I kinda avoid... home breaker... now happily stands next to Farhan Akhtar in photos and says 'mera beta has achieved this, achieved that'

Smita Patil too... extremely talented but broke a home. or did she? not sure if Raj Babbar marriage was already over......
Old September 6th, 2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Life in a dot dot dot Metro - an almost perfect movie. 2007. Impressive star cast - most went on to do pretty good films. Irrfan Khan, Konkana Sen Sharma, Kangana Ranaut, Kay Kay Menon. Music was good.. beautiful songs, woven well into the film with a band singing them.

Except for one ending - Shilpa Shetty, who has a straying husband, does not go away with Shiney Ahuja. Comes to the railway station as promised, but only to say goodbye to him. Felt bad for Shiney Ahuja.. until years later he went and did hanky-panky with a maid. : )

Would have been nice to see the woman walk out of an unhappy marriage and towards love...
I mostly had political themes in mind when i started the thread, but it is good to see it extending to relationship realm too. more examples are welcome.
Old September 6th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
True.. I tend to connect real life of actors to their movies more than is fair. Ms. Shabana Azmi - a fine actress.. and almost any movie of hers worth watching.. but I kinda avoid... home breaker... now happily stands next to Farhan Akhtar in photos and says 'mera beta has achieved this, achieved that'

Smita Patil too... extremely talented but broke a home. or did she? not sure if Raj Babbar marriage was already over......
Thats the way 'filmy dunia' works. In Umrika, you find a lot of 'Hybrid families'. In Europe, they seem to have forgotten the concept of a family.

In case of Smita Patil, Raj Babbar was reputed to have moved on to Rekha, but was seen crying wildly when Smita Patil died.
Old September 15th, 2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
MNIK is one of the most BS movies I have ever seen, I still remember me cringing every minute of sitting next to rop friend who is a huuuuge SRK fan. I should probably add that I don't like this movie one bit nor do I agree with it.

Just don't get me started on this worst adaptation of Forrest Gump.
The starting airport scene is a copy from a Tamil Movie 'Anbe Sivam' another one, which i neither liked nor agreed. But the whole maddu gang was going gaga over it, except for one daaru partner who nailed it 'It is a f*ing commie movie'. Apparently, it was Kamal's attempt to undo the damage he had done to his commie credentials with 'Hey Ram' (where he gives hakla a taste of his own medicine by hogging the screen time and giving some lousy bits to the co star)