eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old October 9th, 2000, 05:41 PM
Junior eCharchan

spunkygal is on a distinguished road
You work, you travel, you get to move to different places. How do you make new friends to hang out with? Colleagues, join some club? Try make friends on net?

What have you guys tried... what has worked?
Old October 9th, 2000, 08:41 PM

Post Usually...

I am in USA and when I wanted to meet new people from back home, I went to several of the Indian 'mandal's and programmes arranged by Indians. Many temples will have this information.

If you want to make friends with folks from here, I suggest that you participate in activites like trekking, etc. which are run regularly by clubs. I am sure there will be local clubs and newsgroups which cater to such activities.

Old October 10th, 2000, 07:59 AM
Junior eCharchan

Tyger is on a distinguished road
chat

Dont ask me how .. But I landed up in the last place i ever wanted to be .. DUBAI ~!~
One medium thru which i have made quite a few good friends is thru Chat rooms .. Try IRC , ICQ etc .. and look arund for people with similar intrests as yours..

The only problem with IRC is that it can get addictive .. and u spend moretime chatting that actually going out and meeting people !!!
still its a good wy to get started off !!
cheers
Tyger
Old October 10th, 2000, 12:32 PM
Junior eCharchan

thanks for your suggestions. i'll see what goes on around here... as for chat/net, let me try here...

ARAY KOI VILAYAT/LONDON SE HAI??
Old October 15th, 2000, 05:08 AM
loin.....loin cloth

laal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy

Aap to itni jaldi ghabraa gayeen spunky ji-I thought aap echarcha ki tubelight theen woh bhi Laxman Sylvania-the one that glows lowest voltages pe bhi(Abb aap samjhe maine yeh tubelight kyun li???).Is it your lucky day or is it your lucky day?Londonwaa to hamaar gaon rahin 2 baras se or vilaayat hamaar matrabhoomi(naheen this is no new hindi ki maatra)since past 5 odd years.Its not easy to find people your type but its also dead easy to do so-I guess it comes down to luck.So dont worry london waale hain yahaan-agar kisi prakaar ki koi sewa ho to agya keejiyegaa.
Old October 22nd, 2000, 11:34 PM
Junior eCharchan

bahut_masti can only hope to improve
Whoops..... sorry about that one. Not from London here but New York.
Old October 23rd, 2000, 06:37 AM
gandu

the london kids can be found on Gandmasti.Com

Things that worked for me...

* Join peer groups. If you're an IT person ... I would strongly recommend something like First Tuesday (firsttuesday.com)...

* Make friends with folks @ work regardless of race / sex

* Make friends where you live..

The problem most desis have is that they're shy or arrogant about their status (I'm a local.. cant talk to the FOBs.. etc etc)

* LEARN to say hi to strangers without provocation and learn to carry a conversation.

Larry King has a really good book out there which I read once while on a flight.. don't have it with me but search Amazon for Larry King.

* Get people to talk to you. A Gandmasti.Com shirt works for me ... in good and bad ways...

Remember the key thing ... I think I last heard this in Jerry Macguire.... you cannot get people to like you until you like them.
Old October 23rd, 2000, 01:13 PM
Junior eCharchan

Thanks for responses, people...

I am making friends at work. Most of junta is desi at work. Veggie, gharelu, not into pubs... with them i have southall weekday nights... to buy Indian groceries, have grub at South Indian or some other veggie gujju joint.

Then because I smoke, I have some 'smokin staircase' friends from other offices too now. They are more for checking out night life in Central London with... cool bunch!

Oh, I gave out an ad on net to make friends outside work (just that, looking for friends is all i wrote, no suggestive phrases of any sort, no funky physical descriptions either). Most replies from desis I get are maha horny ones for quick roll in the hay. (stuff like I can satisfy your every need; for a fun-filled relationship write, bla bla). Whats up with that! When are they gonna learn how to reply to a woman.
Old October 23rd, 2000, 04:59 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Me too me too

hey spunkygal..
I can also satisy your every need..

Jokes apart... our culture system is to blame. Many desis never get to have sex till they are married. Nor do they get to have friendly relations with girls may times. Also co-ed relations are not porpagated very much back home due to society and culture and all that except in big cities like Mumbai, Delhi, etc.. so all young men are mostly with hormones oozing out of their ears And then the only relaion they see fit with women is that of sex...

Well thanks for your inputs...
Old October 24th, 2000, 03:01 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

echarcha
.. 100% true

but just wondering ..does this "hormones oozing out of their ears" thingy , relates to desi girls/women also

Mujhe koyi Gyan Upadesh karo, yeh vishay par..please
Spunky can u ?
Old October 24th, 2000, 04:46 AM
in Bartania

smartganduinuk will become famous soon enough
Cool

Hahahaha,
Sorry friends, I couldnt stop laughing. I thought echarcha was a serious forum.

Anyway Shri, FT is a very good place to meet people and do business too. But you got to be extra careful, bcus if you see, when the stock market is down the appearances dwindle and when stock market goes up the place is buzzing. I would say about 25-40% could be serious people who really want to do something, others are just time pass. I really enjoy at FT because it seems like the whole world comes and gathers in one place. Couple of times I did find about 4-5 Indian companies coming all the way from India to London just to attend the FT meeting.

Well spunky, I am not surprised if you get that kinda responses from the net. There are all sorts of people out there.

Indian you are right, this syndrome is found in girls too. I know one desi American - and I had to change my Yahoo messenger Id.

Spunky, people are like magnets and everybody has this magnetism inside them. So if you move around, I am sure you will attract your likes - sooner or later is the question.
Old October 24th, 2000, 06:57 AM
loin.....loin cloth

laal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Spunky ji I didnt know London has hay in which one can roll.Whenever I look around and especially these days its pretty green.And HORNY as in horn bajaate hain???Nightlife in central London-well you wont need much more in that case.Its an inherently friendly place and so you wont have many problems.By the way you been to southhall and central London-what about the east end??been to Canary wharf and surrounding places??nice place-loads of professionals and apparently a good upcoming nightlife infrastructure.
Old October 25th, 2000, 03:01 AM
in Bartania

smartganduinuk will become famous soon enough
Spunky,
Frankly speaking, I havent explored purposefully how to find a friend from internet or otherwise. But if you look at some websites like popaccount.com and there are lots of them if you try through search engines.
All the best.
Happy Diwali to all echarcha members.