eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > Crowning Glory

Notices

Crowning Glory A home for our best content ... award winning created by eCharchans!!

Old March 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute
The age of Big Data

Since the technology revolution and arrival of the digital age, every now and then there is some new gadget or software releasing . It might blow us away or maybe just passe.

Currently, with the advent of smartphones and the tremendous data explosion happening around us, we are connected and interdependent on each other like never before. (Recently, I posted a sad note on FB and I received more attention from friends than I got when face to face.)

A large amount of resources involves extracting information from data that is available for you to consume or research . The question is what do we use this information for .

So is there any particular technology, or app, or software that you particularly like ? . You can also comment on current research. Some particularly striking field that you think is interesting and warrants further research .
Any interesting user experience etc !!!! Any hardware or software peripherals you enjoy to use or want available . How do you consume your information ?

Last edited by JaiSpeaks; March 1st, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The age of Big Data

With internet comes privacy concerns . And with privacy on your mind , you are interested in knowing about who is following you .

I actually found this visualization very interesting. This software tracks the advertising websites who track your digital footprint as you browse through the different websites.
Have you ever wondered about how personalised ads seem to follow you around everywhere .

Maybe this visualization can give you a heads up

http://lifehacker.com/5889239/collus...b-in-real-time

You need Firefox Add-on to see it in action

If you did rather see the demo

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/collusion/demo/

Last edited by JaiSpeaks; March 1st, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:44 PM
Love Saneless

Dead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond reputeDead On Arrival has a reputation beyond repute

Nice Thread!!

Have no clue about the technology aspect of it.. But yes.. wid the advent of such platforms social/digital media is at it's peak.. and it's no more about "understanding the market" but about "understanding every customer"! The data available through various tools enables the companies to understand what and how a consumer walks/breathes/Eats

Yeah.. it can be argued that it is an invasion of privacy.. it's like being stalked whenever u r online or using your mobile!

was reading an article y'day.. that Companies would be using the "no of likes" on their FB page to evaluate their brand value (they would equate the likes to the revenue)..

Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:19 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

Playing games remotely has been around for long . Even in my lab some of my colleagues play on these huge MMRPG . And with game consoles that connect to the internet which can allow you to log on to any game server hosted around the world, chat and interact with the different avatars , the experience is really mind-boggling.

I found this prototype from Microsoft Research very interesting. It allows you to share your whiteboard using a projector and interact with the other person anywhere in the world . This is still a static display , but imagine a dynamic world where you can be sitting anywhere and still be able to physically interact with another person. Kind of like the holographic experiment on CNN.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Last edited by JaiSpeaks; March 2nd, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:28 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

Since the Arab spring started back in early 2011 , the web streaming technology has somehow become a instrument of power for opposition forces who are able to show the world the atrocities committed by their governments . This has led to tremendous crackdown from government institutions who try to block their citizens from websites that show them in bad light .

Republics like China, and for some weird reason India too, are taking preemptive measures against Internet freedom by blocking websites at the ISP locations.

I see a very similar trend that is as old as time, the cat and mouse game that has been going on between cyber security experts and hackers .

To that aspect I think projects like TOR maybe a very potent weapon against preventing access to information . .. What say ?
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:53 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

Check this out . Interestingly the researcher Mr. VIjay Kumar has apparently solved the mechanics involved in the control of the quadrotor.

The presentation is really worth a watch . The ending is really good .

http://www.ted.com/talks/vijay_kumar...cooperate.html
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSpeaks View Post

To that aspect I think projects like TOR maybe a very potent weapon against preventing access to information . .. What say ?
I agree and i suggest using http://www.startpage.com for your web searches.. google worries me.. and then some..
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:05 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzrhino View Post
I agree and i suggest using http://www.startpage.com for your web searches.. google worries me.. and then some..
bhai web search to theek hai , but what about motion tracking and surveillance . Usse kaise bachenge ?

Currently research in surveillance is mind boggling . Computer vision has seen a sudden surge of innovation and money , especially in area of face tracking, behavior analysis and motion capture . Using your pose itself on a CCTV footage one can identify whether you are waving your hand or about to throw a bomb . Figure that
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:19 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

By the way does anyone have an head-up display in your car?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

I think the night vision assist that is part of the Mercedes S class , which will be standard in all US cars by 2015 is a very cool and innovative way of reducing accidents during night time driving . Currently this is a display within the car , but imagine a head-up display right on the windshield . Interesting isn't it?
By the way the infra red and depth images using laser are very much in the market today for surveillance but they are also being incorporated for collision detection . Because infra-red is not visible, humans are not distracted

I AGREE

I AGREE
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:13 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

Researchers Propose “Computational Sprinting” To Speed Up Chips By 1000% – But Only For A Second

A research team with members from University of Michigan and University of Pennsylvania has been investigating the feasibility of what they call “computational sprinting,” a technique by which existing chips could be made to operate at hugely increased speeds for short periods of time. They have concluded that “it is indeed possible to engineer such a system.”

link

Little computational powerhouses our small smartphones
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:35 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

Will it really matter now if any problem is NP-Complete?

IBM Makes New Breakthrough In Quantum Computing, On the Cusp of Designing Actual Prototypes

Today, scientists at IBM have announced that they’ve achieved a breakthrough in quantum computing that may allow engineers to start working on actual quantum computer prototypes in the near future. To put it another way, up until now, quantum computing has largely been concerned with questions like “What kind of crazy stuff could we do if we had one of these?” and now thanks to this breakthrough, it’s barreling towards something more like “Okay, let’s figure out how to put one of these together.”

An actual, functioning quantum computer is still 10-15 years off, according to scientists, but recent discoveries are, for the first time, making such a computer actually feasible. Of course, to really understand what this progress means, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of what quantum computing actually is. Consider this a refresher.

More Here
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

rahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Will it really matter now if any problem is NP-Complete?

IBM Makes New Breakthrough In Quantum Computing, On the Cusp of Designing Actual Prototypes

Today, scientists at IBM have announced that they’ve achieved a breakthrough in quantum computing that may allow engineers to start working on actual quantum computer prototypes in the near future. To put it another way, up until now, quantum computing has largely been concerned with questions like “What kind of crazy stuff could we do if we had one of these?” and now thanks to this breakthrough, it’s barreling towards something more like “Okay, let’s figure out how to put one of these together.”

An actual, functioning quantum computer is still 10-15 years off, according to scientists, but recent discoveries are, for the first time, making such a computer actually feasible. Of course, to really understand what this progress means, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of what quantum computing actually is. Consider this a refresher.

More Here
Quite a difficult concept to grasp.... No wonder my dad dislikes computers... ... When I'll be his age, I might dislike Quantum Comps and Qubits...!!!
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulpsharma View Post
Quite a difficult concept to grasp.... No wonder my dad dislikes computers... ... When I'll be his age, I might dislike Quantum Comps and Qubits...!!!
Think double slit experiment . Every possible input can theoritically start at the same time . It might be too fast , no excuses about processing delay anymore . Transistion to donkeys will be complete
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

rahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Think double slit experiment . Every possible input can theoritically start at the same time . It might be too fast , no excuses about processing delay anymore . Transistion to donkeys will be complete
What has Double Slit Experiment got to do with Quantum Computing...?? The link you posted was speaking purely in terms of qubits and quantum superposition etc.... I thought the Double Slit Experiment was to prove the wave nature of light....!!
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:35 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulpsharma View Post
What has Double Slit Experiment got to do with Quantum Computing...?? The link you posted was speaking purely in terms of qubits and quantum superposition etc.... I thought the Double Slit Experiment was to prove the wave nature of light....!!
Yes but the double slit experiment does bring out one fundamental property of the quantum. The interference pattern suggests that the electron is at both places at the same time . Quantum computing wants to emulate that property. .