eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Computing

Notices

Computing All things binary...

Old October 17th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Buying laptop: suggestions needed asap

hi guyz....

iem all set to buy a notebook computer but facing some difficulties in choosing the right model....please help me with it....my doubts

1. should i buy a laptop from US or India?? which will be cheaper and if at all i buy it from US, will there be any problems afa warranty and stuff is concerned?

2. My cousin will be bringing the laptop for me from US. But the problem is that he will be carrying his laptop with him. Is there any extra excercise/customs duty that he will have to pay?

3. I heard that now you can buy laptops from any part of globe and bring it in india without paying any customs duty. is the information correct??

4. my budget is 60K INR and that is close to 1300USD. Do you have any specific model which is worth buying in this amount. Please mention the model number. And add the cost of FDD also. I need a floppy drive.

5. what processor should i choose for my notebook?Pentium-M or the desktopop P-4. I think the P-4 must be having lotsa heating problems coz it was primarily aimed for desktop computing.

Please let me know the answers as soon as possible. (especially the first 3 onez)

byeeeeeeeeee
Old October 17th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute
will someone come to my rescue yaar.....it is very important+ i dont have time...gotta make decision very fast.....replyyyyyyy
Old October 18th, 2004, 02:52 AM
nayasavera

Re: Buying laptop: suggestions needed asap

Quote:
Originally posted by vyomkeshsaxena
hi guyz....

iem all set to buy a notebook computer but facing some difficulties in choosing the right model....please help me with it....my doubts

1. should i buy a laptop from US or India?? which will be cheaper and if at all i buy it from US, will there be any problems afa warranty and stuff is concerned?

2. My cousin will be bringing the laptop for me from US. But the problem is that he will be carrying his laptop with him. Is there any extra excercise/customs duty that he will have to pay?

3. I heard that now you can buy laptops from any part of globe and bring it in india without paying any customs duty. is the information correct??

4. my budget is 60K INR and that is close to 1300USD. Do you have any specific model which is worth buying in this amount. Please mention the model number. And add the cost of FDD also. I need a floppy drive.

5. what processor should i choose for my notebook?Pentium-M or the desktopop P-4. I think the P-4 must be having lotsa heating problems coz it was primarily aimed for desktop computing.

Please let me know the answers as soon as possible. (especially the first 3 onez)

byeeeeeeeeee
You can get it from the US. Ask your friend to get the global warranty option for you even if that means paying 50 bucks or so more. He won't have to pay any custom duty on the laptop if he's coming with a return ticket. If he is asked, he can always say that he would take it back to the US. And since it's dhanda time for the custom officials, they don't go for the endorsements on the passport.

You can go for DELL or IBM or Sony VAIO or Toshiba. These are all big names and I suppose are quite reliable.

I have a SONY VAIO with a 1.4 GHz Celeron processor and 512 MB RAM and I can manage most of the tasks with it, including running a J2EE server for development. Don't end up paying too much for a P4 and all the latest config. It will change and it's not worth all the extra money.

Hope this helps.
Old October 18th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Senior eCharchan

hi neo pai...thanx a lot for the info....but yaar my doubt is that the person is carrying his notebuk with her....and then she will be carying a new one for me also...is there any technical problems with it..i mean customs duty n stuff...shez coming on an official visit to india n is carrying official laptop with her...lemme know the details..please!!

the config iem planning is...P-4 2.8 with HT, 512Mb DDR RAM, 30 gb hdd, 64mB G-force AGP card ,combo drive , external FDD drive, 15' screen,12cell LION battery and the company is DELL and model is inspiron 5160 (damn itz heavy 3.7 Kgs

..tell me sth

1)will it be cheaper to order from net and let the person recieve it or should i tell her to buy one off-the shelf? which will be cheaper???

also tell me..all this P-4 n stuff r deskptop based processors....is there much heating problems associated with them+effect on battery....

thanx

Last edited by vyomkeshsaxena; October 18th, 2004 at 05:11 AM.
Old October 18th, 2004, 05:12 AM
nayasavera

Quote:
hi neo pai...thanx a lot for the info....but yaar my doubt is that the person is carrying his notebuk with her....and then she will be carying a new one for me also...is there any technical problems with it..i mean customs duty n stuff...shez coming on an official visit to india n is carrying official laptop with her...lemme know the details..please!!

the config iem planning is...P-4 2.8 with HT, 512Mb DDR RAM, 30 gb hdd, 64mB AGP,combo drive , external FDD drive, 15' screen,12cell LION battery and the company is DELL and model is inspiron 5160 (damn itz heavy 3.7 Kgs

..tell me sth

1)will it be cheaper to order from net and let the person recieve it or should i tell her to buy one off-the shelf? which will be cheaper???

also tell me..all this P-4 n stuff r deskptop based processors....is there much heating problems associated with them+effect on battery....

thanx
Some people say that one may bring a laptop to India and he doesn't have to pay any duty on that. But everytime I have passed through Mumbai customs with a laptop, they asked me to show the return ticket. So I suppose, your friend may have a problem in getting through the customs with two laptops. It all depends on the official that he/she has to deal with. You can check the offical websites and ask your friend to take printout of pages that state that no custom duty would be charged on laptops.

The config looks like very good if you are getting it for anything less than 1200 dollars.

You can it from vendors or the sites. It's all the same for you because you would anyway contact the local service centre in India in case of problems. If you are buying it in India then I would suggest you to buy it from a vendor.

I am not sure about this but I think you should look for a mobile P4 processor otherwise they say that the laptop will have heating problems. The cost of a mobile processor is slightly higher. The hardware experts on this site will give you better answers for this one.
Old October 18th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by nayasavera

The config looks like very good if you are getting it for anything less than 1200 dollars.

stuff is costing 1360$ (inc taxes n shipping)....but i will be getting 49$ rebate after delivery.....some offer i guess....so itz close to 1300$

n the processor is mobile pentium -4 2.8Ghz with HT

same stuff in toshiba in india is costing 81K with 256Mb RAM and without FDD (approx 2.5K xtra)

yaar yeh customs ki prob solve ho jaaye....maza aa jayega
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute
if i were u vyomi i would go for

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...computer_store

man amd 64 rulez, sala intel pentium shentium sucks big time.

BTW tune tho bola nahi kyu chahiye tereko laptop ladkiyon ke samne dikhava ke liye ya, gaming ke liye ya padne ke vaaste.

i think the above would fit for all that
-babu
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute
babu, why do you think AMDs cost half of pentiums? Why hasnt Intel reduced their prices? There is a reason. Pentiums outperform AMDs any given day. I have used both kinds and I can vouch for Pentiums anytime. I spent almost 2000 on my AMD machine. The board sucks. Takes 5-6 attempts to even boot. Lot of IRQ DMA conflicts. Doesnt detect many a hardware. Blew up a hard drive and 2 zip drives. Not to mention itz damn heavy!.
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
I am coming in dec. Bole to I can get one for you.
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Senior eCharchan

Gr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Buying laptop: suggestions needed asap

Quote:
Originally posted by nayasavera

You can go for DELL or IBM or Sony VAIO or Toshiba. These are all big names and I suppose are quite reliable.

Hope this helps.
You forgot HP. They are the number 1 in market share in Laptops. I am very impressed by their after sales services.

Ek he ulloo kafi hai barbade gulistan kee liya,
Anjamye gulistan kya hoga jab har daal pee ulloo bethe hoon
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Ruler of Middle Earth

compukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond repute
yede :)

yede,
apna experience ekdam ulta raha hai...bole toh....my first comp was a AMD k6....then ek aur K6 3D laaya...and abhi last mth mein I bought a Sempron 2400+...and my experience has been very good. Infact they outperform their rival's in the same category.....Like..the Sempron beats the Celeron anyday....and the Athlon Xp's easily match the Pentiums as far as u compare similar procs....
Apna mobo check kar...a lot of stuff u r sayin happens due to mobo chewtiyagiri....
as for the laptop question...bhai...U will definitely get a better laptop for the same $$ in the US ..compared to India...but I still suggest buy one in India...or make sure u have customer service in India...like Dell....kahi locha hua...to it will be a pain....my first laptop got screwed within a week of its arrival...mobo or proc jal gaya......isiliye bolta hoon..safer u buy it around your place...
just my 2 cents..
bbbye.

Quote:
Originally posted by YedaAnna
babu, why do you think AMDs cost half of pentiums? Why hasnt Intel reduced their prices? There is a reason. Pentiums outperform AMDs any given day. I havemn heavy!.
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Instant Mischief

Budmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond repute
I DO NOT PREFER LAPTOP.............. sorry
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Spear Barbarian

GunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud of
Methinks that Dell might be a trifle overpriced. I have a Gateway M350 that I paid $1300 for 6 months ago. Compared to the Dell, it comes with:
1. A larger hard disk (40 GB)
2. Faster CPU (3.06 GHz) Pentium IV
3. 512 MB of 333 MHz DDR RAM
4. Combo DVD/CD Burner
5. No floppy drive . Instead I have a 6 in 1 reader for compact flash cards, Smartmedia cards, IBM microdrives etc. You can do an either/or and get the floppy drive in that slot instead if you like.
6. 15" XGA monitor (and the video card has support for a second monitor to be attached. This is very important to me, since I usually work with dual monitors on my desktop as well ).
7. Built in 56k modem, 10/100 Network Card and 802.11g wireless card.
8. Decent built in speakers (well, they don't sound tinny to me).
9. Two USB 2.0 ports, firewire (1390) port, 1 PCMCIA slot.
10. 12 Cell Li Ion battery
11. About the same weight as the Dell (it is a heavy SOB).

Mind you, this was 6 months ago and it still has slightly better specs than the Dell for the same price (around $1300 with tax included). You might be able to get better hardware for that price now, if you look carefully enough.

To tell you the truth, I didn't think much of Gateway, the only reason I got one is because my Dad had recently bought one and my brother bought one soon after for college, mainly because they were cheap. However, my brother is also a careful researcher when it comes to buying anything and he weighs a bunch of options before purchasing anything. Hence, when my local Gateway store was going out of business, I reasoned that I might as well get one too, since my brother wouldn't have bought one without researching it . A few weeks later, my sister showed up with a cute little Dell 1.3 Centrino GHz laptop that weighs under 3 pounds and I instantly regretted buying my Gateway. My previous laptop was a lot like my sister's Dell -- it was a Sony Vaio that weighed under 3 pounds, but had a tiny 10" screen and a small keyboard, 333 MHz Intel CPU, 6 GB HD and 64 MB of RAM (which was so custom that I can only buy more RAM from Sony at high price$). The little dell is perfect for my sister as she uses it for school work and doesn't do anything more hardcore than using Word/Excel/Outlook and typing her thesis. Besides, she can't touch type and since she has tiny hands, that small keyboard is fine for her. Also, that dinky Dell cost a lot more than my laptop too. Then I recalled the #1 reason I bought the Gateway laptop in the first place -- big screen, big keyboard and lots of CPU. I was getting tired of staring at my Sony and decided that I could take the extra weight if I had a bigger screen/keyboard and more RAM. Then I didn't feel so bad about my Gateway after all .

Proud LLKC member since May 2002.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir 1950

Last edited by GunsNRoses; October 18th, 2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Senior eCharchan

BKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying laptop: suggestions needed asap

Quote:
hi guyz....

byeeeeeeeeee
Thoda Budget Badhao..
this is the best configuration and I have checked this one personally..Got everyhting on this and is the best price..looks..hardware etc...

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...7&ccid=1291021

not bad for 1750
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute
Last year I got a HP Pavilion 5400 Series. Though it looks more like a briefcase, itz pretty neat for itz price.

3 Gig P4
DVD/CD-burner (No DVD Burner)
80 Gig HDD
1 FDD
1394, Ethernet, 56k modem, Wireless, Infrared and all other ports n holes
128 megs Video
Altec Lansing Speakers
15.4 screen
1 yr warranty

Guess how much I paid for it incl shipping

1225!

HP service is cool!