eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old July 25th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Suggestions needed to bring something to Mayor's attention

I am trying to get an express train line starting from my town into to another city's downtown . Right now the commute is a killer. Takes an hour each way and has 8 stops in between. Most of the other towns have express trains but not my town.

Now, I understand that I need to do a bunch of things before sending a petition to the Mayor of my town.

Catch: Right now my train shares the track with another train service and so, its not possible to make it express directly. It will need a dedicated line.

Can someone suggest me how do I approach Mayor/city counselors regarding this? Any suggestions appreciated. Actually, I did contact the counselor and he told me I need to address this with the Mayor.
Old July 25th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions needed to bring something to Mayor's attention

Step 1 - Meet the mayor. Give him the suggestion and get his feedback.

I will advise step 2 after that.

Let me know what he said.........

They may already be thinking of that ......

I hope you are not in Toronto ..........

In that case take a bottle of whiskey ..................
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old July 25th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post

Let me know what he said.........

They may already be thinking of that ......

I hope you are not in Toronto ..........

In that case take a bottle of whiskey ..................
Or some crack

Aashika devi, have you considered starting dharna?

Sent from my iPhone.
Old July 25th, 2014, 09:12 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you offer to fund the additional line, you will need to show that there are many like you who commute from your town to your workplace town and probably gather them too. (You will need actually a lot to make a new line viable)

Rather than this virtual forum, the right place to discuss it is right in your train.
Old July 25th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Senior eCharchan

motowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
Or some crack

Kejriwal is available for Rs. 1 lakh per day for dharna, but since the dharna is going to be in Toronto, you will have to also pay for a lot of mufflers.
Old July 25th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post

I was told that its always good to be prepared and know the facts before meeting the mayor. So, I want to formulate a game plan before I approach him. Thak God! I dont have to meet the Toronto Mayor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
Or some crack

no...what will that do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Unless you offer to fund the additional line, you will need to show that there are many like you who commute from your town to your workplace town and probably gather them too. (You will need actually a lot to make a new line viable)

Rather than this virtual forum, the right place to discuss it is right in your train.
Thanks sgars, yes, I want to show them that there are lots of people taking the commute. When the line started, our town's population was very very small. Something like 30,000 people; thats all. In those days, it didnt make sense to have an extra line because sharing the line with another rail was cost effective.
Now its 100,000 and most of them are commuters to the city near-by for work. The parking lot gets full by the time the third train leaves in the morning and keeps spilling all over the place. A lot of people I know started taking the road (highway) to work which makes the traffic terrible between 6 AM and 9 AM. Its really bad, even the express toll routes. They keep expanding the roads...which doesnt make sense to me; at the same time they keep saying "go green". The needs have changed and the days have changed.

This is what I want to bring forth to the mayor but in a very professional and workable way so that it will inspire him to bring this up with the Ministry of Transportation who will in-turn allocate the funds to build the track/excavation or what ever infrastructure is needed.

How do i reach out to people who take this train? I was thinking, print flyers out (and stick it on their wind-shields) and give them a medium (online) where they support the cause, which is Express Trains. I can then take this petition to the mayor.

You may ask, why cant you increase the parking space and increase the frequency of the current train. It doesnt work because we share the line with another rail. If you have a dedicated line, you can have express trains or a few trains which are express.

what say? How else can I make this work?

FYI, nothing I do now will help me, but its for future people. Any project like this will take several years before they actually materialize.

Last edited by Aashika; July 25th, 2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old July 25th, 2014, 09:59 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

A caveat for you to consider.. whatever you do/propose there's a very good chance the Mayor will turn it down for lack of funding.

Even if he approves the project and finds the funding, the project kicks off, it will take many years for it to be ready and operational. The Mayor's term lasts only so long, he would mostly not want the ribbon to be cut by his opponent. Of course that is unless he projects it as his big pet project to seek re-election.
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
A caveat for you to consider.. whatever you do/propose there's a very good chance the Mayor will turn it down for lack of funding.

Even if he approves the project and finds the funding, the project kicks off, it will take many years for it to be ready and operational. The Mayor's term lasts only so long, he would mostly not want the ribbon to be cut by his opponent. Of course that is unless he projects it as his big pet project to seek re-election.
Yes Sarvi, I expect you will need several millions of dollars (if not billions) for something like this to happen. This is precisely why I need a game plan to convince him that the town needs the line. The population is only going to grow. I look around you know...other towns around my town, they seem to somehow manage the funding. Going Green is another key point which I can highlight. We all agree that public transportation is the way to go right? So, make enhancements. God! there is always constructions/expansions happening on the roads. Why? because the population went up and the train service didnt improve.
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:09 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
Yes Sarvi, I expect you will need several millions of dollars (if not billions) for something like this to happen. This is precisely why I need a game plan to convince him that the town needs the line. The population is only going to grow. I look around you know...other towns around my town, they seem to somehow manage the funding. Going Green is another key point which I can highlight. We all agree that public transportation is the way to go right? So, make enhancements. God! there is always constructions/expansions happening on the roads. Why? because the population went up and the train service didnt improve.
do a SWOT analysis of what you want to propose.. look at it if you were a critic when judging the threats and weaknesses.

What you are thinking and trying to do generally requires people to join active politics.. get credit and make a career out of doing things like this.
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
do a SWOT analysis of what you want to propose.. look at it if you were a critic when judging the threats and weaknesses.

What you are thinking and trying to do generally requires people to join active politics.. get credit and make a career out of doing things like this.
SWOT Analysis? That's a good idea. I don't know how or where to start but I will figure it out.

I agree, these are the things which you expect people in politics to take up. That is not happening here. When I met the counselor, he sympathised with me about the lack of better service but he said, Mayor is my best bet.
What motivated me was my own personal story. And I was talking to a few more young moms who commute to work and they have no choice but to leave their child for extra 1 hour a day at daycare where they could have been spending time with their precious one's.

I was looking at another town. The distance to the city from that town is 10 km more than the distance to the city from my town. because of express line, it takes that train 25 mins to reach the city where as my train takes me 60 mins.

This is not going to help me at all. By the time this actually happens (if it happens), I probably would be close to retirement. It really does take a long time for some big projects.
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:10 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

How long are you going to stay in this town. Asking this since the LA subway to sea took some 20 years to start off and now taken off, it would be complete in 2019 or so.
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How long are you going to stay in this town. Asking this since the LA subway to sea took some 20 years to start off and now taken off, it would be complete in 2019 or so.
Good point I think she should write to the next mayor, because the current one may not even be in the office at that time.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
I dont have any plans to move but in reality, its not going to help me at all. I am just doing it because I am facing a problem and if no one else raises this concern, this problem will continue for every other person in my place. Some one has to take a stand. Some one has to make efforts. So, I am.
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Senior eCharchan

motowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond repute

If you get 75 replies to this thread, you should attach it along with your petition to the mayor.
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by motowner View Post
If you get 75 replies to this thread, you should attach it along with your petition to the mayor.
ok so give me some useful suggestion!