eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Gaming

Notices

Gaming All about the wonderful games on the Internet, PC, XBOX, PS, GameCube, GameBoy...

Old March 15th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Chess concepts

I have been thinking about discussing chess concepts on EC and Landya gave me the opportunity today.

Recently I got an opportunity to lay my hands on the book "How to Reassess your chess" by Jeremy Silman.

So I am going to write whatever I could grasp from that book so far.
Keep in mind that if there is something wrong , it is entirely my fault- don't blame it on Silman. Point that out to me and I will try to correct it.
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chess concepts

1st concept which we are going to discuss here is Opposition.
Knowledge of opposition is quite useful in endgames when we have King & pawn v King endings.
Definition - The fight between kings to determine which one is stronger is called Opposition.

How do we know which king has opposition?
Whoever is to move when there is an even number of squares between the kings does have the opposition.
or
Whoever is to move when there is an odd number of squares between the kings does not have the opposition.

For example see this position -

Here there are 3 squares between kings.Both players would want to grab the opposition or not let the other grab the opposition.
Here if it was black to play,he will play 1...Kb8 to avoid giving away the advantage(opposition) to white.Any other move - Kc7(straightaway) or Kb7(in forthcoming moves) will yield the opposition to white and lead to black's loss.

Last edited by Napolean; March 15th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Naps need to put this opposition technique on board and try Kb7, Kc7 from black side to see if loss is possible for black.

thanks for starting the thread ...
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:07 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

aare chessboard kidhar hai
Old March 16th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
Naps need to put this opposition technique on board and try Kb7, Kc7 from black side to see if loss is possible for black.

thanks for starting the thread ...
how Kc7 will yield to black's loss is easy - as below :-

1..Kc7(gives away opposition for white king) 2.Kc5 - this puts the control of the key squares b6 ,c6 and d6 in white's control.So next best move for black is 2...Kb7 3.b6 .
Now black king has to move and give way to white's advancing pawn.

For 1..Kb7 white can put his king at b5(grabs opposition) and control of squares a6,b6 and c6 is in white's control.Black king has to make way again for the White's king and its pawn.

Jai,search for a thread named "Chess Puzzles"- 1st post there gives instructions on how to post a chessboard.

Last edited by Napolean; March 16th, 2010 at 03:27 PM.