eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old November 12th, 2005, 04:07 AM
honest lawyer ;-)

lawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond repute
Changes in outlook when you return...

In connection with this thread i'm taking the liberty to complain a little, re. my experience with people/their attitudes this past week...

everytime i comment about something, such as maybe potholes, or traffic, i get "don't act like an american, this is India!"..

whaa..?!! albeit said jokingly, it's starting to irk me no end.

these were things i've commented about even before i left the country.. so how does my having lived away for a bit change things? i gave my opinions about pollution, corruption, politics etc. etc. freely without being rebuked in the past about my point(s) of view (other than rebuttals with opposing points of view.) why the sudden change in outlook towards me, i wonder...??

a lawyer at a prominent law firm i had to meet with, tells me, "we're sorry, we don't have a corporate culture like you're used to back in the U.S..." hmm.. sweet of him, appreciate it. but did i look like i was complaining, MISTER???

gawd. you people, I LOVE IT HERE, and no matter what you say, I wont cease to be any LESS INDIAN than I was before i left. GET IT?!

sorry for venting.
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changes in outlook when you return...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgirl707
In connection with this thread i'm taking the liberty to complain a little, re. my experience with people/their attitudes this past week...

everytime i comment about something, such as maybe potholes, or traffic, i get "don't act like an american, this is India!"..

these were things i've commented about even before i left the country.. so how does my having lived away for a bit change things? i gave my opinions about pollution, corruption, politics etc. etc. freely without being rebuked in the past about my point(s) of view (other than rebuttals with opposing points of view.) why the sudden change in outlook towards me, i wonder...??

a lawyer at a prominent law firm i had to meet with, tells me, "we're sorry, we don't have a corporate culture like you're used to back in the U.S..." hmm.. sweet of him, appreciate it. but did i look like i was complaining, MISTER???

gawd. you people, I LOVE IT HERE, and no matter what you say, I wont cease to be any LESS INDIAN than I was before i left. GET IT?!

sorry for venting.
Bilkul sahi boli baap.. There is almost an undertone of resentment/contempt in some people's attitudes when dealing with a foreign settled desi... Little do they realise how much we look forward to/miss visiting India ..
Old November 12th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

The minute you even mention that "Aaah.. this road has not changed even today.. Its the same as it was when I was here.." and people think or say "Oh you phoren return"
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Senior eCharchan

ramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

sorry for venting.
Good On You Lawgirl............A quick question--- In the time of need say a war(between India & US,purely hypothetical question it is) which country will u support??
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill Muhammad Ali
Old November 12th, 2005, 08:00 PM
honest lawyer ;-)

lawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrajya
Good On You Lawgirl............A quick question--- In the time of need say a war(between India & US,purely hypothetical question it is) which country will u support??
what! is that even a question!? INDIA, without doubt!!!
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Banned

Vancouverdesi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
what is that even a question!? INDIA, without doubt!!!
When u r hoping to become a true yankee?
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:47 PM
honest lawyer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouverdesi
When u r hoping to become a true yankee?
no no, never hoping to become a true yankee. whatever gave you that impression? was always Indian, will always be
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Senior eCharchan

ramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
no no, never hoping to become a true yankee. whatever gave you that impression? was always Indian, will always be
All the beautiful sentiments in the world weigh less than a single lovely action.
- James Russell Lowell

Kyya baat Hai Dil Khush Ho Gayyaa Aaj.......U made my day(Sometimes when i m in melancholic mood little and irrelevant things make me happy)....
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill Muhammad Ali

Last edited by ramrajya; November 12th, 2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Senior eCharchan

tapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

sorry for venting.

Actually I have devised a nice system for such situations. I let the other person comment couple time about the bad roads (or whatever it is) first and I bet he will. Then I join him in bashing the system. Try it out it works. But careful don't mention the A word during the whole time else you will alienate yourself.
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
The minute you even mention that "Aaah.. this road has not changed even today.. Its the same as it was when I was here.." and people think or say "Oh you phoren return"

On my 2004 visit to Mumbai, I was impressed that the smoke from rickshaws was gone as all of them were made to use the CNG convertor and CNG as fuel. I even saw some BEST buses with CNG. It truly was a welcome change. Also the fly overs and new roads connecting the Mulund Thane stretch to Powai was impressive. Yes the roads at some places still need repair but overall Mumbai had improved in some parts.

Just to remain safe, I did not drink water outside but only at home. Then again the normal water from the storage circular filter which we always had. Remember those two steel circular vessels atop each other with a simple ceramic filter stick in the top one? Yes, we have used that system since so many years and I had no problems. After the first week, I did drink water in restaurants. Also had road side chai!! No problems.. I just let my system get back into the old mode. Boy, the food tastes much better than here. I love it back home.