eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Visitor visas

Notices

Visitor visas So you want to visit the USA for a social/business visit?

Old August 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Want a US visa? Wait till 2006

Want to visit the United States?

Hold on to your American dream. It is unlikely you will get to visit the country this year.

The next possible date of appointment for a US tourist visa from India could be sometime in January 2006.

'The interest of Indians in travelling to the US continues to outstrip our abilities to meet the demand. We are exacerbated by fewer staff during the summer,' the American embassy informed rediff.com in a written statement.

The embassy said due to this 'great Indian' interest in travelling to the US, 'we are issuing visas this year at a pace that will exceed the number of visas we issued last year.'

According to the embassy's figures, 304,734 visas were issued in India from October 1, 2003 through September 30, 2004. The number of visas is 261,954 from October 2004 through July 2005.

'At this pace, we will issue more visas for this year than we did last year,' the embassy spokesperson said.

The average waiting period to get a US visa for an Indian citizen is around 90 days. But often, officials said, the wait can stretch up to even six months because of the 'huge Indian rush' at the consular offices.

The embassy said plans are under review to greatly expand visa processing in Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and Kolkata, 'but it may be two to three years before significant additional capacity is achieved.'

The rush to get US visas has also prompted the embassy to take new measures to speed up the processing time.

If you want a visa, you can now make an appointment online at http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/applying.html. You can also know the next available date for an appointment.

The visa process has been lengthened after the United States Congress passed a law that made it mandatory for officials to personally interview visa applicants.

For instance, the US consulate in Chennai -- which receives the largest number of H1-B visa applications because of the thriving information technology industry in neighbouring Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai -- has only 20 officials involved in issuing visas.

In fact, the outflow of software professionals from the southern Indian states of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka,Tamil Nadu and Kerala to the US has also earned the Chennai consulate a dubious distinction: It has emerged as the American consulate to receive the largest number of fraudulent H1-B visa applications in the world.

Officials said in the last five years, the consulate rejected nearly 40 percent of all visa applications -- most of them H1-B visas -- from the four southern states because the visa petitions were either unverifiable or fraudulent.

The rush in the Chennai consular section has also prompted consular sections in New Delhi to accept non-immigrant visa applications from Chennai.

But the Delhi consular section now accepts out-of-district applications only from persons who speak English fluently and who have not previously been refused a visa.

http://us.rediff.com/news/2005/aug/26spec1.htm

Old August 25th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Axecuse Me?

dawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud of
Re: Want a US visa? Wait till 2006

even the h1 quota is over for the 2006 financial year. About 6K H1B for Masters students in US are remaining I believe, but thats abt it!!
Old October 27th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

I took interview appointment and got an appointment of 8th March 2006
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:59 AM
honest lawyer ;-)

lawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSainik

I took interview appointment and got an appointment of 8th March 2006
arre you can go to chennai or delhi with an earlier date. its bombay that gets all the bhed-bakri population from neighbouring states coming in hordes to go to amreeka. (Btw, no offence but what does a gujju mean when he says maro dikro States ma gayo? my son flunked in Statistics ) dunno why just thought of that joke out of the blue... btw a gujju told me this joke so all ya gujjus out there dont hold it against me!
Old October 27th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgirl707
what does a gujju mean when he says maro dikro States ma gayo? my son flunked in Statistics
Good one.
Old October 27th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Desa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
arre you can go to chennai or delhi with an earlier date. its bombay that gets all the bhed-bakri population from neighbouring states coming in hordes to go to amreeka. (Btw, no offence but what does a gujju mean when he says maro dikro States ma gayo? my son flunked in Statistics ) dunno why just thought of that joke out of the blue... btw a gujju told me this joke so all ya gujjus out there dont hold it against me!
You can go only to the embassy/consulate under whose jurisdiction is your residence. For example, a person living in U.P must take appointment at Delhi Embassy only and not bombay or chennai.
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:25 AM
honest lawyer ;-)

lawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desa
You can go only to the embassy/consulate under whose jurisdiction is your residence. For example, a person living in U.P must take appointment at Delhi Embassy only and not bombay or chennai.
oh, wow i didn't know that. i thought if one's visa wasn't rejected before and (s)he had all the documentation in place you could go to any of them. i remember reading this on the delhi us consulate webpage once upon a time. maybe rules changed now...
Old October 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Want a US visa? Wait till 2006

Quote:
Btw, no offence but what does a gujju mean when he says maro dikro States ma gayo? my son flunked in Statistics

Sent from my iPhone.
Old October 27th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Senior eCharchan

aby_baby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Chennai is worse than any other consulates. Last I heard, earliest you can get an appt is for April. No wonder considering the fact that consulate has to serve all IT heartland areas Chennai, Hyderabad and Bangalore.
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
oh, wow i didn't know that. i thought if one's visa wasn't rejected before and (s)he had all the documentation in place you could go to any of them. i remember reading this on the delhi us consulate webpage once upon a time. maybe rules changed now...
I think the same way,too.
Some of my friends have appeared at more than one consulate for interviews...
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I didnt mind getting late appoinment as that re-aligns my other plans But yes Chennai is worse than mumbai, for B1 or H1 March end / April was earliest date.
Old October 28th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

shahenshah will become famous soon enough

shucks....
I wonder if there is a way to see the general availability of appointments w/o having to pay the fees and filling in all details first...I was thinking of having my parents over next year...

A World of Music

----------