eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old June 6th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Post Indian immigrants slow to assimilate into mainstream: Study

Indian immigrants slow to assimilate into mainstream: Study

Immigrants from India and China are quick to assimilate into the economic fabric of the United States, but are not as quick when it comes to assimilating culturally and in civic matters, a study by Jacob Vigdor, associate professor of public policy studies and economics at Duke University, has found.

Billed as the first annual Index of Immigrant Assimilation, the study measured three types of assimilation: economic (employment, education, homeownership); cultural (intermarriage, English proficiency, family size); and civic (citizenship rates, military service, voting). It then compared the assimilation rates of recent immigrants by country of origin, and found that immigrants from Vietnam, Cuba and the Philippines have the high ratings across the board.

The overall assimilation index for all countries averages out to 28 on a scale of 100, but the index for India is under 20, and China only barely tops the 20 mark. Mexico rates 13 points, while Canada [Images] scores a high 53. "In terms of overall assimilation, immigrants from Mexico and Central America have index values below those of Indians; the index value for India is below that of China," Bridget Sweeny of the Manhattan Institute, a liberal think tank, said.

Immigrants born in Canada, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Korea, the Philippines, and Vietnam have assimilation-index values higher than the national average of 28. 'This report introduces a quantitative index that measures the degree of similarity between native and foreign-born adults. It is the ability to distinguish the latter group from the former that we mean when we use the term assimilation,' the report said.

In terms of economic assimilation, immigrants from Canada, Cuba, the Philippines and Korea are indistinguishable from mainstream Americans; these four countries are followed by Vietnam and India. Immigrants from Mexico are the least economically assimilated of any group, with those from El Salvador a close second. Individuals born in the Dominican Republic and China also display economic assimilation levels at or below the national average.

When it comes to culture, Canadians are almost indistinguishable from native-born Americans. "Immigrants born in the Philippines and the Dominican Republic also show relatively high levels of cultural assimilation. At the other end of the spectrum, immigrants born in China and India show the greatest degree of cultural distinction from the native-born," the report said.

Cultural assimilation was measured on a range of matrices that include the ability to speak English; intermarriage (whether an individual's spouse is native-born); number of children and marital status.

"In terms of cultural assimilation, India's index value of 39 is the lowest among major origin countries for immigrants in the United States. When considering a wider array of origin countries, immigrants from Bangladesh have a slightly lower score, 38," Bridget noted.

In civic assimilation also, Indian immigrants don't perform as well as they ought to, the study found. Civic assimilation is a measure of immigrants' formal participation in American society, primarily through naturalisation. "To some extent, civic assimilation is an even stronger indicator of immigrants' intentions than is cultural assimilation. The choice to become a naturalised citizen, or to serve in the United States military, shows a tangible dedication to this country," the report said.

In terms of such civic assimilation, Vietnam tops the list with Philippines, Korea and Cuba following in that order; India is well down the list, bettering only countries like Mexico and El Salvador.

On the question of why immigrants from some nations show faster assimilation than others, Bridget pointed out that "Cultural factors, including language and intermarriage, are the most important governing factors. Immigrants from both India and China are well integrated into the American economy, and have civic assimilation scores at or above the overall average. Cultural assimilation for both groups is below the average for all immigrants," she said.

She said religion was not included directly in the study. "Indirectly, though, pressure to marry within one's own religious group, coupled with the fact that Hindus form a small share of the native-born population, could explain the low intermarriage rates, that lead to the low cultural assimilation index value.

"In general, cultural assimilation takes longer than either civic or economic assimilation. Those who immigrate as adults may have the greatest difficulty in learning a new language, and may already be married when they arrive in the United States. The children of these immigrants, however, will likely bear a much stronger resemblance to the native-born. Throughout the twentieth century, the children of immigrants to the US have been very difficult to distinguish from the native-born," she said.

"This report neither proposes nor endorses any policy responses. Its sole purpose is to present information in a manner useful to concerned citizens and policymakers who hope to make informed decisions," Professor Vigdor said.

LINK
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Indian immigrants slow to assimilate into mainstream: Study

not really surprised....well when my brother went to the states..i expected him to marry some white,black or latina girl..but he turned out to be an a$$.he came here and married an indian girl and went back.
well i have observed this thing..wherever indias go ,i mean as a tourist ..they want indian food to eat.they strictly refuse to taste the local food and try out other cuisines.the indian emmigrants always choose to stay in indian locality in usa or uk or wherever they go.they are not happy if their kids likes to spend time with black/white kids rather than kids of indian origin..

i must say indian people are the biggest racists..and they would never ever mix easily into the local culture..only their kids who are born in usa will change this trend
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Ha - Somewhat on lines of what i was thinking. Gults are particularly very fussy for food. In my stay in US last year, i tasted some 10 varieties of food (Mex, Italian, Turkish, Korean, Thai, Chinese and Indian..)

Racst -- Yups particularly when it comes to kalaas, apna log seem to be averse to mising with them..
Old June 9th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute

Indian immigrants rarely assimilate into actual US population. It's usually only their kids who are born here tend to be more American.
I keep running into folks who've been here since early seventies, and while they have US citizenship, they are more likely to call them Indians than Americans. It's only their kids born here who call themselves American.

Last edited by Ravi; June 9th, 2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Yup what do you expect from our Kaka s from Ahemdabad ( Sorry Charchilla ) or Paaji from Punjab or Mr. Reddy from Hyderabad.
They wont even assimilate in Banglore........

Since I have been here I have tasted every cuisine and drank with every nationality . I have even been to a kallu strip club with a kalla ( and another canadina desi friend , no not Maxi ) and gotten lap dance from a kalli . that was some scary shit though being only two Indians in complete Kalla neighborhood.
But thats what's is all about our good old US of A .

See I assimilated .......
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old June 9th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Indian immigrants slow to assimilate into mainstream: Study

I see this as power and strength of indian culture.
as long as they do not create nuisance in society like pakis and beggardesis do, indians shold hold to their strong cultural roots. Thats how the good smell of good culture is spread worldwide.

the great indian culture

not ashamed to be IDLE !
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:20 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian
I see this as power and strength of indian culture.
as long as they do not create nuisance in society like pakis and beggardesis do, indians shold hold to their strong cultural roots. Thats how the good smell of good culture is spread worldwide.

the great indian culture
sahi bola hai sir... exactly my point... why assimilate with asses... not all are worth assimilating with anyway...
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Indian immigrants slow to assimilate into mainstream: Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty
Yup what do you expect from our Kaka s from Ahemdabad ( Sorry Charchilla ) or Paaji from Punjab or Mr. Reddy from Hyderabad.
They wont even assimilate in Banglore........

Since I have been here I have tasted every cuisine and drank with every nationality . I have even been to a kallu strip club with a kalla ( and another canadina desi friend , no not Maxi ) and gotten lap dance from a kalli . that was some scary shit though being only two Indians in complete Kalla neighborhood.
But thats what's is all about our good old US of A .

See I assimilated .......
careful man! cha pai will now call you kallu gaand! @cha pai!

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly is assimilation? I dont think its wrong to keep your cultural values and identity. For me assimilation is accepting whatever is good about the new home country USA and not emulating everything just for the heck of it. Its about trying to accept and follow the way of life in USA. Things are different here than India in many aspects, and I feel assimilation is to accept and follow these.

Simple food habits can be adapted but not completely changed. While I have tasted every possible cuisine available in the Bay Area and San Francisco city, I prefer my home cooked desi fare, but am not averse to eating other cuisines. Infact I do yearn for a good pasta or a spicy Thai dish from time to time. At the same time I do long for some basic American fare like mash ed potates and gravy, meatloaf, etc.
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Research is faulty.

Cultural assimilation ... Indians bring in luggage own centuries old traditions, days to celebrate ... carry on irrespective of where they find themselves. Don't expect first generation to join in turkey dinners.

Civic assimilation ... majority of Indians are Hindus who go to the temples where they come in contact with like-minded. If you were to go by this skewed research ... Hindus should start attending local churches to meet and mingle with locals.

Research ... my arse.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
.............. a spicy Thai dish from time to time.

Can you imagine what a storm you can fart up with some Panang ? Followed by some Kung Pao
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Banned

chadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nice

If that resistance wasn't there after 900 year of mugal rule whole hindu whould have been converted to Muslim and you guys won't be working in Silicon belly and thinking about this rather thinking about how to blow them.

Assimilate doesn't mean to adopt bad habbit.Indian don't want their 14 year old daughter to be pregnant or to provide bedroom for daughter/sister and her BF to have sex.that's why they don't want their kids to be hang out with white.

None of the Indian feel proud if his sister do streaptis dance.

Indian don't eat Haldi and Jeera because some food chain sell them, all the spices came from extensive reaserch may be 1000 or more.people eat outside food and they don't like it so they dont wanna eat next time.

it's 10,000 year old great culture why to start going to church just because you get 100K-200K salary a year.

people do have reservation because they do mind if their wife sleep with other guy.

They just don't want to adopt bad thing that's it.
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:58 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhakya
Assimilate doesn't mean to adopt bad habbit.Indian don't want their 14 year old daughter to be pregnant or to provide bedroom for daughter/sister and her BF to have sex.
at the same time, I am yet to hear a case where a 14yr-old pregnant white girl was killed in the name of family honour! we, Indians, have our share of shame. now move on!

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Banned

chadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshp
at the same time, I am yet to hear a case where a 14yr-old pregnant white girl was killed in the name of family honour! we, Indians, have our share of shame. now move on!
How many indian girl got killed out of 1.2 billion population(0.001%) verses how many non -virgin white girl you have at age of 16 year out of 300 million population(99.99%).

can not compare 0.001% verses 99.9%.can not compare what could have happened in some village in India verse USA.

If daughter is getting pregnant at age of 16 or having sex with 100 different guy, that's what fast assimilate to main stream then go ahead, but sorry many India won't go with main stream.

if Alphanso mangoe taste better than maxican crap mango then why to force yourself to eat maxican mango for the shake of assimilate.

if money can change culture then how much salary do people need to change their religion.

I think becoming Christian is the true and real assimilation not just eating subway and ordering pizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzza on phone.

Last edited by chadhakya; June 9th, 2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:48 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhakya
If daughter is getting pregnant at age of 16 or having sex with 100 different guy, that's what fast assimilate to main stream then go ahead, but sorry many India won't go with main stream.

if Alphanso mangoe taste better than maxican crap mango then why to force yourself to eat maxican mango for the shake of assimilate.

if money can change culture then how much salary do people need to change their religion.

I think becoming Christian is the true and real assimilation not just eating subway and ordering pizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzza on phone.
dont put words into my mouth. i never said we should assimilate this way! i only wanted point out that balantly saying bad things in their culture doesnt help our case. we have several 'bad things' in our own culture. if you can point out negatively about their culture and use that as reasoning for not assimilating, we can do the same about our culture and use that as a reason for assimilation!

the point is how and to what extent do we want to assimilate into American culture is a individual decision. you or i cannot stand here and judge who and how much someone should assimilate into foreign culture. as far i see it, anyone not hurting the host country with their culture, however foreign it is to the host culture, it is ok!

now, if someone comes from a 7th century society, rapes and kills woman and then justifies it in the name of culture and ethnicity, he certainly deserves the toughest punishment allowed under law of the land! read this

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.

Last edited by rameshp; June 9th, 2008 at 10:54 PM.