eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > How to

Notices

How to Stuck for an answer to "How to do .."?

Old February 27th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Help -- Convert PAL format VHS tapes to DVD

During a recent trip to India, I brought back about 20 or so VHS tapes recorded in the 80s (in the PAL format). I want to convert these to DVD or any other digital format. I checked at a store in my hometown and the charge was almost Rs. 1000 per tape. Is there an alternate way of doing this at home?
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Senior eCharchan

Gr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help -- Convert PAL format VHS tapes to DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
During a recent trip to India, I brought back about 20 or so VHS tapes recorded in the 80s (in the PAL format). I want to convert these to DVD or any other digital format. I checked at a store in my hometown and the charge was almost Rs. 1000 per tape. Is there an alternate way of doing this at home?
Yes, play it and record on your iPhone and then load on your computer and burn it on your DVD.

Ek he ulloo kafi hai barbade gulistan kee liya,
Anjamye gulistan kya hoga jab har daal pee ulloo bethe hoon
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno if this will work, but you will need atleast 2 recording thingys.. one that can record in digital format from TV out .. so connect your non digi VCR to TV (video in) and from tv take the video out into the digital recording device (video in) and convert it to digital format.. once done, you can always connect the digital video out options from the digital video recorder to a comp and store it and then manipulate it.

Quality will ofcourse depend on the actual recording.
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Mumbai they charge somewhere around Rs 150 per cassette.

You may try as Gpel said,the audio/video out of your VCR connected to your pc (some graphics card) can help you record them on your pc.
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy a dual (dvd/video cassette) player... and record that way. I could have helped but don't know if mine plays PAL...

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old February 28th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Senior eCharchan

motowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond repute

I think this would be your best bet.
Old February 28th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Here in Mumbai they charge somewhere around Rs 150 per cassette.

You may try as Gpel said,the audio/video out of your VCR connected to your pc (some graphics card) can help you record them on your pc.
My suggestion is on the presumption that you already have some electronics on you say a handy cam digital these days and a vcp that can play those videos.. so if it can o/p to TV, it can be used as i/p to the handycam (most have the in slots) and that should do (provided your digicam is PAL compatible). And most digicams have o/p compatible to pcs.. usb or something like that.
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:07 AM

halkun is on a distinguished road

Connect your VHS tapes to your capture card on a computer or digital camcorder using Firewire, USB cable, or S-video cable.

Then run the video capturing software that comes with your capture card or other your favorite software (i.e. VirtualDub) to save the file into mpeg-2 format that DVD reads well.

Finally, use a DVD authoring program like AppGeeker DVD Creator to burn files onto disc.
Old March 8th, 2014, 01:59 AM
Pelu Pelu

Isn't S-vedio already digi format? Just asking..

Analogue PAL VCR with a firewire/s-video o/p would be a rather difficult one to find. I would think. I have tried connecting the video out to a capture card but they do not give even normal quality available on tape so it would make it a dicy one.. that is why I suggested to take o/p from TV into a digi cam in instead of direct out of VCR into digicam in.. I am thinking to use the noise filter/cleanup circuits if any in the TV to get a more refined o/p.. Of course, if the TV can filter noise from vcr o/p, removing it might seem pointless but if the digicam also introduces its own noise on to the already present noise (presuming it to be normal input) the tv circuits might not be quite up to the task of filtering all of it degrading the quality.. dunno never really tried..
Old March 8th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
Isn't S-vedio already digi format? Just asking..

No, I do not think S-video is digital. Haven't googled yet but I believe it is just a 5-pin connection, where RGY are distinctly transferred. Don't know what the remaining 2 pins are used for... though I don't think it supports audio. Not sure why a RGY-component connection is considered superior to S-video

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old March 8th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Pelu Pelu

Just googled.. you are right.. SVid is NOT digi. Just the Chrome and RGB seperated.

Anyways.. lets see which technique Zorro pai uses and finds better qualitywise if he cares to educate us that is.