eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Computing

Notices

Computing All things binary...

Old January 9th, 2017, 05:46 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions for a laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
are you looking for specs just to have a future proof laptop or do you have specific requirements?
Future proof so that I dont need to buy another one for the next 5 years.
Old January 9th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions for a laptop

I reckon you have three clear paths you can follow -
1) Read this through before you dismiss it offhand - go for a Macbook. Admittedly the specs are lower than other laptops sometimes, perhaps updates are slower to come - but jo bhi hai vo solid hai! Other thing is they have only brought out a new range in 2016 after a break of 2 years! within 5 years, your laptop will only be 1 or 2 generations old. Thats something you will also get bells and whistles that you dont normally give a thought about - like backlit keyboards for example.

2) Go for a windows based laptop - you have listed out what you want out of it already anyway. The only change I would suggest is to have 7200RPM drive. by your requirements you are discounting ultrabooks so you may end up with a slightly heavy laptop. Lennovo Thinkpads are the best amongst what I have used so far. I would recommend the T4nn series. Size, weight, looks and specs all are great in this series.

3) There is a third alternative that you might want to consider. This is the right time to go for this option. Go for cheap chromebook type laptop. Two advantages - 1) you end up with most of your data in the cloud - this is the future proof part of this option. If you change laptops you will feel less pain than with any of the two above options. 2) you can change laptop every 2 years and get benefitted from the evolution of the technology.

you might say - yehi 3 option hai market mein, maine sab kuchh ginva diya you wont be far wrong... there are a few other options - like build your own laptop with raspberry type system - you get to pick and choose the features you want, control the budget and the specs and get the satisfaction of building your own. I would not recommend doing this except if you want to build something like a kettle that can boil water for you when you are 4 minutes away from home or some application like that.

Then there are ultrabooks which I would say dont even consider or something like Surface which is the middle of laptop and a tablet or the asus transformer which is the middle of a tablet and a laptop etc etc