eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > Crowning Glory

Notices

Crowning Glory A home for our best content ... award winning created by eCharchans!!

Old October 31st, 2010, 03:20 PM
Junior eCharchan

Chandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond repute
Vedic Guru

I attended this sermon today which said that to get a complete understanding of God a Vedic Guru is a must . But will this not defeat the purpose of Hinduism which says find your own path to spirituality ?

Why will I not be influenced by this Guru everytime he gives a sermon . Isnt it possible to understand the ancient texts by ones own accord ?

Quote:
Vedic Guru
Original forum: Religion
Views:287 Replies: 33
Winner of Crown of the Week (ending Fri, Nov 5th 2010)

Last edited by echarcha; November 7th, 2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old October 31st, 2010, 05:44 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vedic Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandni View Post
I attended this sermon today which said that to get a complete understanding of God a Vedic Guru is a must . But will this not defeat the purpose of Hinduism which says find your own path to spirituality ?

Why will I not be influenced by this Guru everytime he gives a sermon . Isnt it possible to understand the ancient texts by ones own accord ?

All the guru based cults preach the same(like Osho, radhaswami, asharam etc) and they quote some obscure shloq from some ved or upnishad for support... thing is, who will pay the bill for these bastards ash if they woudnt have shishyas...

Don't worry..there are hundreds of books available on hindu spirituality... as long as you can understand them..you dont need any of these fraud cheapos.

Old October 31st, 2010, 06:05 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Not all Hindu scriptures talk about self-realization ... Also most of these scriptures were in possession of only certain branches of brahmanical leaders ... It was only during the British rule, did they get revealed to the general public ... Also the medium of instruction was purposefully kept to Sanskrit ... The language of the elites .... The general masses were not educated enough to understand Sanskrit, let alone scriptures written in English ... Even though under the British raj the scriptures got in the hands of the public, only Sanskrit versions were handed down in order to maintain the monopoly of the Brahmins ...

Also, as I mentioned earlier, not all scriptures are to be considered to be on par withe Upanishads or the Gita ... So it makes sense for the priests/religious leaders to cite something obscure from something under unrelated contexts ... You should understand that Hinduism did not develop under one common church headed by one pope ... Before the shankaracharyas, the Hindu scriptures existed but there was a lack of centralized entity responsible for it's evolution or interpretation ...So whatever the priest/brhmans interprets, it becomes a sort of ideology ... A sort of another branching of Hindu ideology...hence you see so many branches of Hinduism ...
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:11 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
All the guru based cults preach the same(like Osho, radhaswami, asharam etc) and they quote some obscure shloq from some ved or upnishad for support... thing is, who will pay the bill for these bastards ash if they woudnt have shishyas...

Don't worry..there are hundreds of books available on hindu spirituality... as long as you can understand them..you dont need any of these fraud cheapos.
so...we dont need gurus ? all we need is books ?

not ashamed to be IDLE !
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
ya just one to be precise ' Enlightenment for Dummies' - by Shri Guru Chitrala Swami.
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:35 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think it is very much possible to understand ancient texts with ones own accord. Most of Hindu scriptures are written in Sanskrit. If you understand sanskrit, then you can interpret in your own way. if not, then yu are anyway depending on the person who has translated it for you.

If you are looking at Bible, the Old testament was written in Hebrew and the New Testament was written in Greek (i think most of it). So, if you are reading English version, again, you are depending on someone else to interpret it for you.
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzrhino View Post
ya just one to be precise ' Enlightenment for Dummies' - by Shri Guru Chitrala Swami.
I thought I had the sole claim over self-elt... Chitrlsami pai, you need to pay me royalty

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute

u people value the books and not the people(gurus) behind the bright ideas in those books.

hmmm.,...zamana kharab hain
feels like drinking couple of pegs whisky...& forget myself in some stupid ghazals

not ashamed to be IDLE !
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
I am not saying that we don't need gurus at all... what I mean is that gurus are not essential. If you can read and understand... why would you need a guru or jon a cult. Ever read Asharam Bapu... I guarantee you that you can bullshit a lot better.

Old November 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I think it is very much possible to understand ancient texts with ones own accord. Most of Hindu scriptures are written in Sanskrit. If you understand sanskrit, then you can interpret in your own way. if not, then yu are anyway depending on the person who has translated it for you.

If you are looking at Bible, the Old testament was written in Hebrew and the New Testament was written in Greek (i think most of it). So, if you are reading English version, again, you are depending on someone else to interpret it for you.
Sanskrit is not a cut and dry language ... Even the way you pronounce the syllables can change the meaning of the whole sentence ...
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:32 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
I am not saying that we don't need gurus at all... what I mean is that gurus are not essential. If you can read and understand... why would you need a guru or jon a cult. Ever read Asharam Bapu... I guarantee you that you can bullshit a lot better.
Understanding seyy kya karegaa chitrala bhau ... Intellectually everyone knows that they are not their body, but some spiritual entity, say soul ...
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:42 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
Understanding seyy kya karegaa chitrala bhau ... Intellectually everyone knows that they are not their body, but some spiritual entity, say soul ...
Wohi to , if you read a Math book, you understand the concepts but problem solving ki baari aayi tab phategi . So I guess a guru may give a much needed direction or say a hint to proceed .
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSpeaks View Post
Wohi to , if you read a Math book, you understand the concepts but problem solving ki baari aayi tab phategi . So I guess a guru may give a much needed direction or say a hint to proceed .
A spiritually realized guru is needed ...but not brhmans ... Although technically a brhmans means one who has realized the brhman in all ... The ONE in ALL and vice versa ...
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:07 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSpeaks View Post
you get that illusion....until you start solving problems....many gurus are like an answer at the back of the book...a sadguru (not sad guru) is the one who will give you textbook after ripping the answer pages from the book
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
Clown Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
Arrey bhai... those books are better than them sexophilliac swamis...