eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Computing

Notices

Computing All things binary...

Old November 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

band karo sutradharji apnaa yeh hate facebook tirade

i love facebook

Old November 1st, 2010, 08:00 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
band karo sutradharji apnaa yeh hate facebook tirade

i love facebook

I am not against people who use Facebook. For folks, especially in the US, these are relevant things because privacy about your personal information is paramount. Things like credit reports, identity fraud and credit card fraud are quite scary.

You can continue to use FaceBook, but you should be aware of things happening with your own personal data. Would you like to be sent spam email just because you mentioned that you like a certain product on your FaceBook account?
Old November 6th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

In short, Google has banned Facebook from importing your Gmail contacts into FaceBook.

Quote:
Google bars data from Facebook as rivalry heats up

By Alexei Oreskovic
SAN FRANCISCO | Fri Nov 5, 2010 7:06pm EDT
(Reuters) - Google Inc will begin blocking Facebook and other Web services from accessing its users' information, highlighting an intensifying rivalry between the two Internet giants.

Google will no longer let other services automatically import its users' email contact data for their own purposes, unless the information flows both ways. It accused Facebook in particular of siphoning up Google contact data, without allowing for the automatic import and export of Facebook users' information.

Facebook, with more than 500 million users, relies on email services such as Google's Gmail to help new users find friends already on the network. When a person joins, they are asked to import their Gmail contact list into the social network service. Facebook then tells the user which email contacts are also on the social network.

In a statement, Google said websites such as Facebook "leave users in a data dead end." Facebook did not immediately provide a comment on Friday.

While Google framed the move as an attempt to protect its users' ability to retain control of their personal data on the Internet, analysts said the move underscored the battle between Google, the world's largest search engine, and Facebook, the dominant Internet social network.

"The fundamental power dynamic on the Web today is this emerging conflict between Facebook and Google," said Gartner analyst Ray Valdes. "Google needs to evolve to become a big player in the social Web and it hasn't been able to do that."

"If people do search within Facebook, if they do email within Facebook, if they do instant messaging within Facebook, all of these will chip away at Google's properties."

RECIPROCITY

Google said that while it makes it easy for other Web services to automatically import a user's contact data, Facebook was not reciprocating.

"We have decided to change our approach slightly to reflect the fact that users often aren't aware that once they have imported their contacts into sites like Facebook, they are effectively trapped," Google said in an emailed statement.

"We will no longer allow websites to automate the import of users' Google Contacts (via our API) unless they allow similar export to other sites," Google said.

Some technology blogs were reporting that Facebook still appeared to be allowing users to import their Google Gmail contacts into Facebook as of mid-day Friday.

A Google spokesman told Reuters that the company had begun enforcing the new rules "gradually."

Google also stressed that users will still be able to manually download their contacts to their computers in "an open, machine-readable format" which can then be imported into any Web service.

Google has coveted the wealth of information that Facebook's half-billion users generate and amass. Having access to that data could be especially valuable to Google, whose business model is based on allowing its users to find any information anywhere on the Web.

STORY CONTINUES HERE -->
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Talking Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

Now FaceBook will share your phone number and home address with developers who use the FaceBook API to develop apps.

All ShitBookers deserve this invasion of privacy!!

LINK
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:52 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

that is reason for concern for those who have foolishly put out this info..

However, I was attending a meeting in my office where they were discussing how apps collect your information about likes and dislikes and then this is available for companies to purchase and sift through.. For example, people who are attached to a bank will be commenting on things.. companies use this and your location to realize trends and people's opinions which may or may not come through surveys. hmm.. pretty interesting stuff. Facebook is not totally useless.

actually same to same with all the iPhone, iPod and iPad apps.

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; January 17th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Senior eCharchan

Premi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Now FaceBook will share your phone number and home address with developers who use the FaceBook API to develop apps.

All ShitBookers deserve this invasion of privacy!!

LINK
and people put their home address there too
Old January 18th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Rumor is making the rounds that FB is closing on Mar 15th of this year... but it sounds like a cheap shenanigan of a cheap news site.

Old January 18th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

It might be going IPO on that day

There was an article recently by PC Mag / John Dvorak I think which compared FB to AOL. Yes, I remember the CDs which used to come home almost everyday to sign up with AOL. Infact, to get my first access to the net here, I had tried dial up with AOL. AOL was just like FB - everything was in there. You could search based on a AOL keyword. Even early days tv commercials would say Call 1-800-xxxxxx or look up AOL keyword 'blah'

Anyway, I never got AOL then because I did not want prefilled content and I dont get FB now. I am glad I deleted my account and did not use FB beyond five days.
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Thumbs down Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

This happened right at home, in New Delhi ...

Quote:
Woman poisons family for Facebook friend

By: Atul Krishan Date: 2011-01-18 Place: Delhi

Husband escapes and gets wife arrested

It had all the ingredients of a Bollywood masala flick ” romance over internet, theft, elopement, and in the end, betrayal. About one and a half years ago, Rakhee, the wife of West Delhi jeweller Sameer Swahney created an account on the social networking site Facebook. Through it she came in contact with one Rahul Kumar, who claimed to be a US-based NRI.

Police said that Rahul had sent her a friend request and she had accepted it. Following this, Rahul further developed friendship with her and told her that he was an NRI but presently was living in Delhi. He claimed that he owned a few hotels in America and had other businesses too. Rakhee believed him and started dating him. After a few months, Rahul proposed and they decided to get married.

However, as Rakhee was married, Rahul hatched a plan to help her get rid of her family. "Rahul asked Rakhee to poison the whole family and then rob them before leaving the house. Rakhee first ignored him but later she agreed to his plan. So one night she offered her family dinner that was laced with poisonous substance," said a senior police official.

Luckily, Sameer did not eat at home that night and went to bed. Her two children who ate the dinner fell unconscious. "Rakhee then made off with Rs 5 lakh cash and some gold and diamond jewellery," the official added.

After robbing her family, Rakhee went to Rahul's place. He then took her to Bahadurgarh where they stayed in a hotel. "At the hotel, Rahul played the same trick on her and offered her dinner laced with sedatives. She fell unconscious and he fled with whole cash and jewellery," said the police official. Meanwhile, Sameer had lodged an FIR against her at the local police station. Police traced Rakhee's mobile records and arrested her from the hotel.

DCP (West) V Ranganathan said that Rahul has been involved in several cases of cheating earlier too. All cases against him have been lodged with South Delhi Police stations.

LINK
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Thumbs up Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

This seems very useful

Quote:
Software to help overcome Facebook, Twitter obsession

By: Agencies Date: 2010-10-11 Place: London

Are you fed up of the virtual world taking over your real life? If yes, then help is at hand.

A Dutch company has developed software which can destroy all posts and personal information from your Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace and Twitter accounts.

The Web 2.0 Suicide Machine takes just 52 minutes to finish the task, instead of 10 hours it would have taken to do the job manually, reports the Daily Mail.

Some 3,000 people have already used the free programme with another 90,000 on the waiting list.

You hand over your passwords and watch as your Tweets and Facebook friends disappear - until there's just an empty screen.

Last month, one of the country's most eminent brain scientists warned that an obsession with social networking sites and computer games may be changing the way people's minds work.

LINK
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Instant Mischief

Budmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

&&

Yahoo added facebook friends in Messenger

Old January 25th, 2011, 08:14 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premi View Post
....oh yeah and then some...who they are married to and their children's names and schools. people put minute to minute updates there . who the f is interested that u need to go pee.

im just sayin!

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old January 25th, 2011, 08:15 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
This seems very useful
ha ha ha . so people cannot go to accounts and click on deactivate, they need an application to do it for them now?

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old January 25th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well...somedays ago I read this MO for hacking mails... mostly work on yahoo mails. ppl put their birthdates, homeaddresses and phone nos. and a lot of info on facebook. Many a time we add people whom we hardly know. Then we tag our family members and friends and give other infos like our pets' names as well.

So, there is a hell lot of info there already... so it wont be hard to guess someone's mom's maiden name or first school or similar security questions. A friend of mine(not indian) had some of her objectionable pictures published online with her FB acoount snapshot... she denies that her mails are hacked.

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg View Post
Quote:
....oh yeah and then some...who they are married to and their children's names and schools. people put minute to minute updates there . who the f is interested that u need to go pee.

im just sayin!
Yes Premi, we don't care that u need to go pee

Sent from my iPhone.