eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old August 12th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute
Question Customs duty on taking a Laptop to India

One of my friends is on a short visit to US. He wants to know if
he will have any trouble in taking a laptop to India. How much is
the customs duty, and is it worth it?
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Call up the IT minister

and tell him that just like Sachin brings glory to India you bring much needed foreign exchange to India.. so he should waive off your customs duty in national interests.
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showth...hlight=Customs

There is no customs duty that need to be paid to carry a laptop to india. I am assuming he is going to bring it back when he comes back to USA.
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showth...hlight=Customs

There is no customs duty that need to be paid to carry a laptop to india. I am assuming he is going to bring it back when he comes back to USA.
No, he is on a short visit. He will be taking it permanently.
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry.. my bad did not read he is on a short visit FROM india.

I think it is not worth taking a laptop/notebook to India.

Reasons
1. Customs duty.
2. Weather. It tends to heat up pretty fast and then he will have to clock it down.
3. Service.
4. Peripherals. pcmcia peripherals enuf said.
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Pelu Pelu

No help for IT manufacturers

The wish-list of the hardware sector has been largely ignored, while a few of the Budget proposals will have a modest impact on the industry. Retail prices of IT products are likely to see minimal drop or no change at all, industry experts feel.

First, the excise duty on pre-loaded software has been removed. Software does not attract any excise duty when sold separately but does when bundled with hardware. This move will result in marginally lower prices for customers who get the hardware bundled with the software.

Second, Customs duty on specific electronic components has been reduced from 25 percent to 15 percent but most of these are already being imported at less than 15 percent Custom duty rates or used by export-oriented hardware firms (which do not pay customs tax on imports), industry executives say.

The proposal to reduce Customs duty in line with the commitment to the World Trade Organisation requires further study. “The exemption of excise duty on pre-loaded software should result in a 2 percent lowering of cost for branded personal computers,” says MAIT president S Devarajan. He was, however, disappointed as the excise duty on computers has not been rationalised to 8 percent as desired by MAIT. On the retail front, there would hardly be any change in prices due to cuts in the tax rates on some of the hardware components, say industry experts. “There has been no change as there has been no concession for the hardware industry,” Zenith Computers managing director Raj Saraf said.

“The fundamental reform in the introduction of value added tax will lead to increased use of IT,” said TVS Electronics director Gopal Srinivasan.

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com.../budget3.shtml
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
On one trip back

home I had carried a laptop for my relative. It was for his use in India so I was not going to carry it back with me.

Well, I just walked casually with it as if it was my own. They did not bother as I had handed a couple of cigarette packets to the customs guy saying that I dont want to smoke now that my family is outside. They were happy with that.
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
1. Customs duty.
2. Weather. It tends to heat up pretty fast and then he will have to clock it down.
3. Service.
4. Peripherals. pcmcia peripherals enuf said.
Weather: What about the laptops sold in India? Are they altered in any way for India conditions?
Service: Wont' Dell/HP have service centers in India. Will they oblige if you guy worldwide warranty?
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

Re: On one trip back

Quote:
Originally posted by echarcha
home I had carried a laptop for my relative. It was for his use in India so I was not going to carry it back with me.
Well, I just walked casually with it as if it was my own. They did not bother
I guess it makes a lot of difference if you are on H1-B. However, if u're on B1, they know the stuff is not going back.
Old August 12th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Pelu Pelu

Quote:
Originally posted by Ravi
Weather: What about the laptops sold in India? Are they altered in any way for India conditions?
Service: Wont' Dell/HP have service centers in India. Will they oblige if you guy worldwide warranty?
Honestly, I am not sure of that. Please do ask the manufacturers about world wide warranty.. but I would think in the event of a laptop going bad, you still will end up with quite a hassle getting it repaired. I tell you this becaues my wife used to work with National panasonic before our marriage. She tells us how they had problems fixing original imported panasonic equipments because of long delays getting spares and such. I cant imagine a better scene in this case.

As for changes in Laptops sold in India, one friend of mine who is in this business told me they had much bigger heatsinks on the cpu's and also they would use a lower clock setting (just a jumper setting modification). But I have no first hand experience with that.
Old August 12th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Senior eCharchan

Does anyone know the exact duty on electronic good, specifically on a laptop?
Also, what kind of models are available in India?
Old August 12th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Pelu Pelu

http://exim.indiamart.com/customs-duty/