eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old September 17th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Junior eCharchan

prosedevi is on a distinguished road
Wink Pakistan Television even conducted elections in Lolab

The false propaganda of Pakistan television stood exposed yet again when the channel claimed that voters were dragged out of their houses in Lolab assembly constituency in Kupwara district without realising that the elections were countermanded there after the death of Jammu and Kashmir minister Mushtaq Ahmed Lone.

"People were dragged out by Indian army in Lolab constituency and forced to vote," said the news reader on Pakistan Television last night in its prime time bulletin.

Elections to this assembly constituency would now be held on October eight along with Doda district.

This was not an islolated false propoganda by Pakistan television, which went on to say that several polling staff were killed when militants ambushed polling stations in Kupwara, Baramulla and Rajouri.

The 30-minute news telecast devoted nearly 20 minutes to suggest that the elections were farce in the first phase and even doubted that the government would continue with its remaining phases

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_66788,0000.htm
Old September 17th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Pakka Desi

IA is just really niceIA is just really niceIA is just really niceIA is just really nice
US terms Ist phase of J&K polls free and fair

Press Trust of India
Washington, September 17

Terming as "free and fair" the first phase of assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir, the US has said the polls were conducted in a "good manner" and was happy there was no large scale violence.

"The elections were free, there were only one or two incidents but by and large there was no violence, participation was good; the elections were conducted in a good manner and there are no reports of intimidation," a US official said.

"We are hopeful," he said reflecting American optimism on the peaceful conduct of the next three phases of polls.

"It was really good that the level of participation was good and the elections were conducted in a good manner," the official said.

American officials said they are waiting for the reports of two US diplomats from the Embassy in Delhi who had gone to two different areas of the State.

They said the US sees these elections as part of a broader process that begins to address the problems of Kashmir.

The American media meanwhile hailed Monday's polls reflecting the widely held view in the official circles, as the triumph of democracy despite the bullets of Pakistani or Pakistan-backed terrorists.

Source
Old September 17th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Senior eCharchan

Freedom_Peace will become famous soon enough
August 15, 1947: India and Pakistan are granted independence from Britain. According to the Indian Independence Act of 1947, Kashmir could remain independent or choose to join India or Pakistan. The leader of Kashmir, The Maharaja, Hari Singh, opts to remain independent. (Read the Indian Independence Act)

October 27, 1947: A few months later, the Maharaja signs an agreement to join with India, giving key powers to the Indian government in exchange for Indian military support.

January, 1948: The first India-Pakistan War over the Kashmir begins. Pakistan is angry that the predominantly Muslim territory has opted to join with India.

Early 1949: After a year of fighting, the two nations agree to the "Line of Control" dividing up Kashmir. India retains the area to the south and east, Pakistan the areas north and west. The Indian-controlled area of Kashmir has roughly 3 times as many people as the Pakistan-controlled area. The cease-fire also calls for the Kashmiri people to vote on their own future in a referendum. That referendum has still yet to be held.
What does that mean....??? referrendum for what ??? Can someone eloborate ??

1962: China wins a portion of eastern Kashmir in a war with India. China continues to hold that piece today.

August, 1965: The second war between India and Pakistan over Kashmir erupts. A cease-fire in which both sides agree to stick to the Line of Control ends the conflict.

1971: Fighting once again breaks out between India and Pakistan over Kashmir. The conflict ends in 1972 with the current Line of Control being agreed to by both sides in the Simla Agreement. (Read the Simla Agreement)

1989: Muslim separatists groups begin to take root and become a force in Kashmir. These groups seek to join Kashmir with Pakistan or create an independent state. Both India and Pakistan have rejected the idea of an independent Kashmir.

1990: Fighting between militants and Indian forces nearly leads to war between India and Pakistan. U.S. intelligence reports say both sides were preparing to use their nuclear weapons if necessary.

December 13, 2001: Armed separatist militants storm India's Parliament, killing several police officers as well as themselves. The attack has once again raised tensions between India and Pakistan. (Click to hear a discussion of the current tensions on "Special Coverage")

http://www.wbur.org/special/specialc...re_kashmir.asp
Old September 17th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

tempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud of
FP whats this history lesson got to do with the thread topic? Which incidentally is "false propaganda about election in Lolab".

But its easy to see you missed the context once you read the word "kashmir".
Old September 17th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by tempest
FP whats this history lesson got to do with the thread topic? Which incidentally is "false propaganda about election in Lolab".

But its easy to see you missed the context once you read the word "kashmir".

Sorry Tempo.... I was going thru some articles on Kashmir came across that one ....
Here is the election related .....

Kashmiri Millitants forcing people not to vote ....
Indian Millitary forcing people to get out and vote....
Poor people are caught in between ...

If they vote their ass is kicked Millitants...
If they don't vote their ass is kicked by Millitary...

SRINAGAR, India (Reuters) - Indian-ruled Kashmir ended a first stage of state assembly elections Monday against a backdrop of violence and in the shadow of a tense confrontation between nuclear powers India and Pakistan.

Indian security forces said they had killed 17 militants who tried to cross into the territory from Pakistan, but despite violence elsewhere, authorities said around 25 percent of the electorate had voted by mid afternoon.

Eight guerrillas were killed in two operations Monday near the Line of Control dividing Kashmir between India and Pakistan.

Nine others were killed late Sunday, officials said, while two men were wounded when suspected militants set off a bomb near a polling station.

Paramilitary police, in flak jackets and toting automatic weapons, guarded polling stations on the first of four voting days between now and October 8 in the disputed Himalayan region at the center of a military stand-off between India and Pakistan.

Voters were frisked before entering polling booths on a cold, late-autumn morning in mainly Hindu India's only Muslim-majority state where more than[ 440 people were killed during a bloody election campaign.

Many Kashmiris, frightened by the violence and disillusioned by Indian rule, said they would not vote, but there were long queues in some places and an election official expressed satisfaction with the early turnout.

"It's a good turnout till now," the official, Dhiraj Kumar, told Reuters in Kashmir's summer capital of Srinagar.

But villagers accused soldiers of storming into their homes and beating them to force a large turnout, an accusation that colored the last election in 1996.

"They beat me with rifle butts when I refused to come out of my home (to vote)," Mukhtar Ahmad told Reuters in Singhpora village just outside Srinagar.

Other residents said they would vote come what may.

"I know about the threat by militants. Even if I lose my life, it's all right. But I'll certainly cast my vote," said Ramnik Singh, a 42-year-old Sikh who runs a spare parts auto shop in Poonch, a mainly Hindu town in the state. "I'm fed up with this government. I want a change."

Separatist rebels have vowed to block the election and kill candidates and others involved in the poll. Moderate separatists are not contesting the election and have urged a boycott.

A strike called by separatists closed shops and businesses in Srinagar itself.

Indian and Pakistani forces exchanged small-arms fire across the cease-fire line overnight, police officials said.

Some polls opened after the official time of 7 a.m. (0130 GMT) as election officials made last-minute preparations. Polls closed as scheduled at 4 p.m. (1030 GMT).

"I'M NOT SCARED"

Women holding babies, elderly men and women with walking sticks and couples made their way to the polling booths.

"I have been seeing wars since 1947. I'm not scared of any militant threat. My whole family will vote because they want a change in government," said 83-year-old farmer Ram Peja as he lined up outside a polling booth in Poonch. Elsewhere, the mood was different. "If the army will cut me into small pieces, still I'll not vote," villager Bashir Ahmad said, adding that he too had been beaten. "We want freedom."

Voting took place in 25 constituencies on the first of four staggered days. Counting for all four stages will be done together and results are expected on October 10.

Kashmir's ruling National Conference party, also a member of the federal coalition government, is likely to be returned in the absence of any strong opposition.

More than 2,000 people have died so far this year and more than 35,000 since the revolt began 13 years ago.

Those killed in pre-poll violence included the state's law minister, and authorities say they expect more attacks.

Sunday, militants ambushed the tourism minister, killing two of her bodyguards. The minister herself was unhurt.

The entrenched violence has unsettled voters.

"There is no point," said one man in a small village about 80 km (50 miles) from Srinagar. "The situation is getting worse. The (state) government doesn't do anything for us and they don't protect us either. The militants are just as bad.

"Every family has lost someone."

Turnout in the last election was 54 percent. Average turnout at India's five other state polls this year was 67 percent.

A solution to the Kashmir dispute is critical to peace in South Asia, home to a fifth of the world's people.

India accuses Pakistan of sponsoring Islamic militants fighting India's rule in Kashmir, the picturesque, fertile region that triggered two of the three wars between India and Pakistan since their independence in 1947.

Pakistan, which India accuses of trying to sabotage the poll, has dismissed the election as a rigged farce. The last two elections in 1987 and 1996 were widely regarded as rigged.

A strong voter turnout would boost India's position, a poor one Pakistan's. Either way, the poll is unlikely to ease tension.

The neighbors have massed a million men along their border since India blamed Pakistan-based militants for a December raid on its parliament. The two came close to war in May and June after a bloody attack on an Indian army camp in Kashmir.

India says Pakistan must stop militants crossing the frontier and close their training camps. Pakistan denies sponsoring the militants, but has pledged to stop them crossing into Indian Kashmir.

India regards the level of election violence as a critical indicator of Pakistan's commitment to that pledge.

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wb...ICLE_ID=394946
Old September 17th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Aaapka Dost

Rahul will become famous soon enoughRahul will become famous soon enough
Talking Those PTV kind of media is enough to make..

Those PTV kind of media is enough to make people like dhuru, fatkey_piss to make a sucide bomber. The good thing is even some educated pakistani think those ptv effort is false and too much, I heard one pakistani commenting and surprising why PTV shows more news or devote more time on indian news then the pakistan news. but unfortunately some of Indian bastardddds believe on whole what ptv is saying.

I even remember one incident reported on PTV actually happened after three day, it was 90s and this matter largely covered by some international and most of indian news papers.

Last edited by Rahul; September 17th, 2002 at 08:11 AM.
Old September 17th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

Re: Those PTV kind of media is enough to make..

Quote:
Originally posted by Rahul
Those PTV kind of media is enough to make people like dhuru, fatkey_piss to make a sucide bomber. The good thing is even some educated pakistani think those ptv effort is false and too much, I heard one pakistani commenting and surprising why PTV shows more news or devote more time on indian news then the pakistan news. but unfortunately some of Indian bastardddds believe on whole what ptv is saying.

I even remember one incident reported on PTV actually happened after three day, it was 90s and this matter largely covered by some international and most of indian news papers.
Rahul,
I have NEVER liked or visted or listened to Pak media or sites or PTV news......
I heard it on NPR.... Read my earlier post .....
Now please dont tell me NPR is also paki site or Anti-India....
Old September 17th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
[b]Those PTV kind of media is enough to make people like dhuru, fatkey_piss to make a sucide bomber. The good thing is even some educated pakistani think those ptv effort is false and too much, [b]

From Satinder Bindra
CNN New Delhi Bureau Chief

SRINAGAR, Indian-Controlled Kashmir (CNN) -- A first day of voting has ended in the troubled state of Jammu and Kashmir with allegations of military abuse against voters.

Police say separatist militants launched several attacks near polling stations on Monday, but some residents said both militants and the army were guilty of spreading fear.

Soldiers and police stood guard as polls opened Monday, the first day of elections in the Himalayan state that has been a flashpoint between nuclear rivals India and Pakistan for more than half a century.
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapc...oll/index.html
Old September 17th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Those PTV kind of media is enough to make people like dhuru, fatkey_piss to make a sucide bomber. The good thing is even some educated pakistani think those ptv effort is false and too much
http://www.msnbc.com/news/808528.asp

SRINAGAR, India, Sept. 16 Hundreds of thousands of soldiers and police were on high alert across Kashmir on Monday as voters participated in critical legislative elections that Islamic militants have sought to disrupt through a campaign of violence.

HEAVY SECURITY
Paramilitary police, in flak jackets and toting automatic weapons, guarded polling stations on the first of four voting days between now and Oct. 8 in the disputed Himalayan region at the center of a military stand-off between India and Pakistan.
Voters were frisked before entering polling booths on a cold, late-autumn morning in mainly Hindu Indias only Muslim-majority state where more than 440 people were killed during a bloody election campaign.

Many Kashmiris, frightened by the violence and disillusioned by Indian rule, say privately they will not vote, but there were long queues in some places and an election official expressed satisfaction with the early turnout.
Its a good turnout till now, the official, Dhiraj Kumar, said in Kashmirs summer capital of Srinagar.
He gave a figure of 10 to 15 percent in the first four hours of voting in five districts going to the polls Kargil, Poonch, Rajouri, Kupwara and Baramulla.
But villagers accused soldiers of storming into their homes and beating them to force a large turnout, an accusation that colored the last election in 1996.
They beat me with rifle butts when I refused to come out of my home (to vote), Mukhtar Ahmad told Reuters in Singhpora village just outside Srinagar.

DETERMINED TO VOTE
I know about the threat by militants. Even if I lose my life, its all right. But Ill certainly cast my vote, said Ramnik Singh, a 42-year-old Sikh who runs a spare parts auto shop in Poonch, a mainly Hindu town in the state. Im fed up with this government. I want a change.
Separatist rebels have vowed to block the election and kill candidates and others involved in the poll. Moderate separatists are not contesting the election and have urged a boycott.
Hours before the vote, Indian forces killed nine suspected Islamic militants. A defense spokesman said the clash took place near the line of control dividing Indian and Pakistani-ruled Kashmir, about 60 miles northwest of Srinagar.
Indian and Pakistani forces exchanged small-arms fire across the cease-fire line overnight, police officials said.
Some polls opened after the official time of 7 a.m. (9:30 p.m. ET Sunday) as election officials made last-minute preparations.

IM NOT SCARED
Women holding babies, elderly men and women with walking sticks and couples made their way to the polling booths.
I have been seeing wars since 1947. Im not scared of any militant threat. My whole family will vote because they want a change in government, said 83-year-old farmer
On Sunday, militants ambushed the tourism minister, killing two of her bodyguards. The minister herself was unhurt.

Ram Peja as he lined up outside a polling booth in Poonch. Elsewhere, the mood was different. If the army will cut me into small pieces, still Ill not vote, villager Bashir Ahmad said, adding that he too had been beaten. We want freedom.
Old September 17th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Aaapka Dost

Talking Re: Re: Those PTV kind of media is enough to make..

Quote:
Originally posted by Freedom_Peace

Rahul,
I have NEVER liked or visted or listened to Pak media or sites or PTV news......
I heard it on NPR.... Read my earlier post .....
Now please dont tell me NPR is also paki site or Anti-India....
Bhai merey,

We guys are discussing kashmir election not 'anarchy of incident of kashmir conflict', what you want to prove by giving that excerpt and that link from NPR, we all know the kashmir problem :

- Will Pakistan ever be ready to return his part (same as 1947 stature means taking back those extra 30% paki population added to POK) to hold a UN referrendum
- Will pakistan ever be able to get back kashmir part he sold to china
- Will those bastards ever allow to return kashmiri pundit to return to their home before UN referrendum, kashmiri pundit constitute 30% of original population (as per 1947)
- Will India ever be able to kick back those bastards 4% pakistani settled in kashmir soil.

*all the above facts comes from non-paki site hence is doubtful by puki and IBP (Indian-Born-Pukis)*

If all the above answer is NO, India would never be agree on UN referrendum, no matter how badly some of peple like f_p try hard to put a finger in their ass and post a link from NPR or CNN.

Last edited by Rahul; September 17th, 2002 at 08:43 AM.
Old September 17th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Aaapka Dost

Re: Re: Those PTV kind of media is enough to make..

Quote:
Originally posted by Freedom_Peace

http://www.msnbc.com/news/808528.asp

SRINAGAR, India, Sept. 16 Hundreds of thousands of soldiers and police were on high alert across Kashmir on Monday as voters participated in critical legislative elections that Islamic militants have sought to disrupt through a campaign of violence.

HEAVY SECURITY
Paramilitary police, in flak jackets and toting automatic weapons, guarded polling stations on the first of four voting days between now and Oct. 8 in the disputed Himalayan region at the center of a military stand-off between India and Pakistan.
Voters were frisked before entering polling booths on a cold, late-autumn morning in mainly Hindu Indias only Muslim-majority state where more than 440 people were killed during a bloody election campaign.

Many Kashmiris, frightened by the violence and disillusioned by Indian rule, say privately they will not vote, but there were long queues in some places and an election official expressed satisfaction with the early turnout.
Its a good turnout till now, the official, Dhiraj Kumar, said in Kashmirs summer capital of Srinagar.
He gave a figure of 10 to 15 percent in the first four hours of voting in five districts going to the polls Kargil, Poonch, Rajouri, Kupwara and Baramulla.
They beat me with rifle butts when I refused to come out of my home (to vote), Mukhtar Ahmad told Reuters in Singhpora village just outside Srinagar.

DETERMINED TO VOTE
I know about the threat by militants. Even if I lose my life, its all right. But Ill certainly cast my vote, said Ramnik Singh, a 42-year-old Sikh who runs a spare parts auto shop in Poonch, a mainly Hindu town in the state. Im fed up with this government. I want a change.
Hours before the vote, Indian forces killed nine suspected Islamic militants. A defense spokesman said the clash took place near the line of control dividing Indian and Pakistani-ruled Kashmir, about 60 miles northwest of Srinagar.
Some polls opened after the official time of 7 a.m. (9:30 p.m. ET Sunday) as election officials made last-minute preparations.

IM NOT SCARED
I have been seeing wars since 1947. Im not scared of any militant threat. My whole family will vote because they want a change in government, said 83-year-old farmer
On Sunday, militants ambushed the tourism minister, killing two of her bodyguards. The minister herself was unhurt.

Ram Peja as he lined up outside a polling booth in Poonch. Elsewhere, the mood was different. If the army will cut me into small pieces, still Ill not vote, villager Bashir Ahmad said, adding that he too had been beaten. We want freedom.
I dont know whats the issue over here, some ISI paid bassstards dont want to vote, whereas the real kashmiries dont freighten about puki tricks and they r coming out to vote, remember 44% is a good turnout even if you compare with peaceful part of India voting trunout.
Old September 17th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Senior eCharchan

What ever you say is right. All other are ............ Happy