eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Philosophy

Notices

Philosophy To be or not to be...

Old August 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute
The Alligator River Story

This is an ethics assignment wifey did in class this summer. It produced some pretty interesting results and debates, so I thought I'd post it and see if my choices alligned with other folks.

THE ALLIGATOR RIVER STORY

Instructions: Please read the following story. After reading the story, rank the five characters in the story in the space provided below it, beginning with the one you consider as most offensive, and ending with the one you consider as least objectionable. Also, briefly note your reasons as to why you ranked them in that order.

Quote:
There lived a woman named Abigail who was in love with a man named Gregory. Gregory lived on the shore of a river. Abigail lived on the opposite shore of the same river. The river that separated the two lovers was teeming with dangerous alligators. Abigail wanted to cross the river to be with Gregory. Unfortunately, the bridge had been washed out by a heavy flood the previous week. So she went to ask Sinbad, a riverboat captain, to take her across. He said he would be glad to if she would consent to go to bed with him prior to the voyage. She promptly refused and went to a friend named Ivan to explain her plight. Ivan did not want to get involved at all in the situation. Abigail felt her only alternative was to accept Sinbad’s terms. Sinbad fulfilled his promise to Abigail and delivered her into the arms of Gregory.

When Abigail told Gregory about her amorous escapade in order to cross the river, Gregory cast her aside with disdain. Heartsick and rejected, Abigail turned to Slug with her tale of woe. Slug, feeling compassion for Abigail, sought out Gregory and beat him brutally. Abigail was overjoyed at the sight of Gregory getting his due. As the sun set on the horizon, people heard Abigail laughing at Gregory.

Last edited by landyaBhai; August 15th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Alligator River Story

Rank --------------------- Name --------------------- Reasons

First

Second

Third

Fourth

Fifth
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Proud LLKC member

First --------------------- Abigail ----------------------- Woman is not sure what she wants and does not understand what his lover is all about

Second ------------------- Gregory --------------------- Cannot understand his woman main motive and evaluates trust by way of sex (some physical activity)

Third ---------------------- Ivan ----------------------- A friend that one should never have (this kind of a friend is in let-go dont-care mode)

Fourth -------------------- Slug ------------------------ Another friend that one should avoid (this kind is the active red-blooded types, the one not using his head)

Fifth ---------------------- Sinbad -------------------- The opportunist (in a way, everyone is)

Last edited by landyaBhai; August 15th, 2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

First Sinbad Looking for sex(or a favour at every opportunity)

Second Gregory - Shld have understood that his lover made utmost sacrifice only to meet him.

Third Ivan - Good for nothing kind of person

Fourth Slug - Very low on brains but will do anything for his friends

Fifth Abigail - She had reasons to be happy after the treatment meted out to her.She did what anybody will do.
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

First - Sinbad - Sleazy kind who take advantage of a situation

Second - Gregory - A guy who couldn't cross the river to meet his lady love before she does

Third - Abigail - She could have phoned Gregory to see whether he is okay with the deal

Fourth - Ivan - A wise guy who knows how to stay alive and safe... but no fun

Fifth - Slug - A good friend to have around... who can get low and dirty if needed

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

1st ......... Abigail ........ horny biatch in heat, should have waited for Gerg to come fetch her, so stupid that she had to tell him of sex with boatman.

IInd ...... Slug ......... brain-dead lesbian of masculine dyke type who hates men, she had no reason beating Greg not knowing feelings and emotions of a man.

Rest of the characters are innocent or pure opportunists ... Kaljug ... cant fault them for covering own ass before venturing out. Alligators ... pure opportunists ... we cant blame them for they need to survive. Poor Greg ... deserves sympathy. Sinbad is okay ... charity begins at home ... in this case payment with sex. Ivon ... a wise man ... he knows a woman in heat doesn't care nor can be reasoned with ... or perhaps a close friend of Greg aware of his true feelings toward Abigail.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi View Post
Alligators ... pure opportunists ... we cant blame them for they need to survive.
We missed the alligators ... (and it's funny you find them opportunist)

Quote:
Sinbad is okay ... charity begins at home ...
(how do you do it Yogijee ... I mean with words)
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The Alligator River Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
We missed the alligators ... (and it's funny you find them opportunist)

I should have been a lawyer ...

(how do you do it Yogijee ... I mean with words)

Okay ... I will be honest ... initially all my choices matched that of your post ... and I knew what most members are going to vote and why ... so I had to think out of the ordinary .
Do you realise ... my reply screws your fine thread?

Old August 17th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

First: Gregory. For rejecting Abigail when, whatever she did was to be with her partner. The relationship, I think, needs more understanding.

Second: Sinbad. For taking advantage of a women who was desperate to be reunited with her partner.

Third: Ivan. For claiming to be a friend but did not stand up to his friend when she really needed his help.

Fourth: Abigail. No man would like it if a women tells that she slept with someone else, no matter what the reasons are. She gave her partner so much trust but never really estimated his actually true personality/opinion etc.

Fifth: Slug. He wanted his friend to be happy but never guessed that she might change her mind in future.
Old August 17th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

First : Abigail : For being one horny, manipulative, vindictive bitch.

No second, third, fourth and fifth. The horny slut was the only offensive one in the story. If she keeps her panties on, there is no story. End of story.

Last edited by smellyfinger; August 17th, 2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post

First: Gregory. For rejecting Abigail when, whatever she did was to be with her partner. The relationship, I think, needs more understanding.
Come now Rakhiji ... you are siding with Abigail just cause she is a female? Gregory is the victim. Abigail slept with boatman today, tomorrow grocer, and candle maker day after tomorrow. Woman got no honor. And she had poor man beaten just cause he rejected her and objected to her promiscuous life-style. What kind of woman has friends like Slug? A woman who is rotten to the core.

What kind of man do you wish Gregory to be? For sure she had sex again with Sinbad to pay for trip back home.

Rakhiji ... a nice person like you should never side with a Kulachni and Karamjali aurat like Abigail. Shoba nahi detta. Reflects bad on you.

Old August 17th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Come now Rakhiji ... you are siding with Abigail just cause she is a female? Gregory is the victim. Abigail slept with boatman today, tomorrow grocer, and candle maker day after tomorrow. Woman got no honor. And she had poor man beaten just cause he rejected her and objected to her promiscuous life-style. What kind of woman has friends like Slug? A woman who is rotten to the core.

What kind of man do you wish Gregory to be? For sure she had sex again with Sinbad to pay for trip back home.

Rakhiji ... a nice person like you should never side with a Kulachni and Karamjali aurat like Abigail. Shoba nahi detta. Reflects bad on you.
No TantricJi, I am not siding with Abigail just because she is a female. I strongly believe that what she had done is not wrong. If it would have happened the other way round, I bet you any money that, Gregory would have slept with (generalizing) a boat women without a moments hesitation...do you agree?

But I do think that she had been stupid. what is the guarantee that the boat man would not blackmail her in future, even if Gregory had accepted her?
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I bet you any money that, Gregory would have slept with (generalizing) a boat women without a moments hesitation...do you agree?
Sleep with boatwoman? No ... I won't. Landyabhai won't for sure. Most of our members are good and honorable men ... they won't.

And most important ... Abigail didn't sleep with the boatman. She had sex with boatman to pay for the trip. Gregory could have forgiven her if she had innocent sleep with Sinbad.

I recall having slept with hundred men and women at Mumbai Central Station cause 9.30pm inter-state train was delayed by several hours. I admitted to my wife before I married her ... "I don't care who you slept with before meeting me, as long as you are faithful from today" ... she said and forgave me. Which made me believe that sleeping is okay ... sex is not okay.

Old August 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Sleep with boatwoman? No ... I won't. Landyabhai won't for sure. Most of our members are good and honorable men ... they won't.
Yes, this I am sure. Pardon me, I take back what I said. I didn't mean disrespect to any one.

And most important ... Abigail didn't sleep with the boatman. She had sex with boatman to pay for the trip. Gregory could have forgiven her if she had innocent sleep with Sinbad.
So what could she have done? Stay where she is and do nothing about it?

I recall having slept with hundred men and women at Mumbai Central Station cause 9.30pm inter-state train was delayed by several hours. I admitted to my wife before I married her ... "I don't care who you slept with before meeting me, as long as you are faithful from today" ... she said and forgave me. Which made me believe that sleeping is okay ... sex is not okay.
It depends mostly on ones thinking to another. I mean, these days Women would surely find other ways to get what they want, instead of giving in like what she did. She was disparate and did what she thought was her best bet.
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
It depends mostly on ones thinking to another. I mean, these days Women would surely find other ways to get what they want, instead of giving in like what she did. She was disparate and did what she thought was her best bet.
Rakhiji ... I am kidding ... otherwise being a man I have no way of appreciationg Abigail's mental condition or feelings ... given the circumstances and her wish to be with lover at any cost.

But can understand why Gregory rejected her.

Even a great man like Lord Rama had to demand proof from Sita. We are mere men.