eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old August 17th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Senior eCharchan

tapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Rapist gets just one-day sentence

This judge has really lost it man! First of all it takes more than a decade to punish the rapist, and then when it happens he gets imprisonment just for a day!

Quote:
MUMBAI: Five days ago, sessions court judge Laxmi Rao convicted a man to seven years’ rigorous imprisonment for raping and kidnapping a minor but released him on probation after 45 days in custody. On Thursday, Judge Rao did it again. Suresh Vanse, a resident of Matibai Chawl in Borivli, was pronounced guilty of raping a 14-year-old girl but sentenced to imprisonment “till the rising of the court’’-or, effectively, for just one day.

The logic behind the diminished sentences is the judge’s ostensible concern for the ‘humanitarian’ angle. Both Vanse and Paramram Sarane, the first offender, were the sole bread-winners of families and had a large number of dependents, noted the two judgments. Interestingly, in July the judge had sentenced a woman convicted of seducing a young boy to five years’ rigorous imprisonment.

Vanse, the offender in Thursday’s case, raped his 14-year-old domestic help in 1992. He cajoled her into keeping mum by promising her that he would marry her soon. It was only when the girl became visibly pregnant that her father, a handcart puller, lodged a complaint with the Samata Nagar police station on September 7, 1992. The subsequent medical examination proved that the victim’s age was somewhere between "14 and 15 years". Vanse even tried to get the child aborted but doctors refused on account of the girl’s frail condition. When the case came up for trial in the sessions court, said public prosecutor Lata Chheda, the victim testified that Vanse had had sexual intercourse with her.

Vanse was ordered to pay Rs 50,000 in compensation which he promptly did on Thursday. Of this, Rs 25,000 is to be given to the victim and the other half to the girl child she gave birth to in 1993. The victim, who’s from an extremely poor family in Sindhudurg has been in Mumbai since the incident, earning a living by doing menial household chores. Her 12-year-old daughter now lives in Sindhudurg with her grandmother.

source http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1198594.cms
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:51 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Rapist gets just one-day sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapasvi
This judge has really lost it man! First of all it takes more than a decade to punish the rapist, and then when it happens he gets imprisonment just for a day!
the wrost thing is that this b*tch of a judge didnt even order child support. just Rs.25,000 for the child born out of this crime? whose gonna bear her upbringing. whats the f*cking humanitarian angle? this son of b*tch has to take care of that child. this guy should have raped this b*tch of a judge!

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rapist gets just one-day sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshp
the wrost thing is that this b*tch of a judge didnt even order child support. just Rs.25,000 for the child born out of this crime? whose gonna bear her upbringing. whats the f*cking humanitarian angle? this son of b*tch has to take care of that child. this guy should have raped this b*tch of a judge!
I think the judge gave very sensible verdict

I doubt there was any evidence that victim was 14 year old....so its hard to prove that it was a rape of a minor. I say this because typically migrant laborers don't carry identification papers to prove their age

For a child in Sindhudurg....which I think I am rightly assuming is a backward area relative to Mumbai...Rs 25000 is a proper compensation. This is because if judge had imposed a lifetime compensation, the man may be forced to declare bankruptcy and in turn end up in prison...ruining 2 + (man's family members' lives)...so more lives are ruined then 2.

Also, with man declaring bankruptcy, he has to be put in jail...which is another burden on taxpayer
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Senior eCharchan

tapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
....this guy should have raped this b*tch of a judge!

and then judge should be made to wait a hunderd years before declaring the guy not-guitly at the end..This is Indian (in)justice system at its best man! :down
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

So - was this guy in jail all the while from 1992 until now? Or free on bail?

(BTW, this sounds more like Village Panchayat justice than an official court of the republic)
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar
I think the judge gave very sensible verdict

I doubt there was any evidence that victim was 14 year old....so its hard to prove that it was a rape of a minor. I say this because typically migrant laborers don't carry identification papers to prove their age

For a child in Sindhudurg....which I think I am rightly assuming is a backward area relative to Mumbai...Rs 25000 is a proper compensation. This is because if judge had imposed a lifetime compensation, the man may be forced to declare bankruptcy and in turn end up in prison...ruining 2 + (man's family members' lives)...so more lives are ruined then 2.

Also, with man declaring bankruptcy, he has to be put in jail...which is another burden on taxpayer
Dhurundhar, it does not matter what the judge "personally" thinks is right punishment! We have a whole legal justice system in place. He should have given punishement as per that. I don't think any of the laws suggest to take size of the family or impact to the family into consideration for giving punishment.

And I did not look at the whole story from child support point of view. But now that I do, I think it makes sense to provide child support rather than one time compensation. He is the father of the child so he has to no matter how worst it is for him. The idiot should have'd thought of that before raping the girl.
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapasvi
Dhurundhar, it does not matter what the judge "personally" thinks is right punishment! We have a whole legal justice system in place. He should have given punishement as per that. I don't think any of the laws suggest to take size of the family or impact to the family into consideration for giving punishment.

And I did not look at the whole story from child support point of view. But now that I do, I think it makes sense to provide child support rather than one time compensation. He is the father of the child so he has to no matter how worst it is for him. The idiot should have'd thought of that before raping the girl.
If legal system were really in place, how could judge impose such punishment...he should be fired or ousted. But that did not happen, which means that probably, judge is not violating any laws

Btw, if such crimes stop.....there would be drought of plots in bollywood films
Old August 17th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

This judge needs to investigated, all the sentences passed by him in the past must be examined and correct justic should be done.

On a lighter note, this judge must be a fag$got and the defendants must be presenting their legal 'briefs' before the judge with effective 'oral' arguments
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM
honest lawyer ;-)

lawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond repute

So typical of you mis-informed indians in the U.S.... you have no fecking clue about what you say with your bloody half baked knowledge.. sitting on your asses and judging people without any basis...

i got to read the actual judgment and found out that the "victim" had CONSENTED in the case.. which means (i know because i'm a lawyer) the rape accused would have had to be set free..

the poor judge has gone out of her way to impose a sentence so the victim would get compensated for her stupidity.. at the cost of being called a b*tch..

may you ill-wishers die of testicular cancer.. or ovarian cancer, as the case may be..

rot in hell.. ungrateful b*stards..
Old August 20th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgirl707
So typical of you mis-informed indians in the U.S.... you have no fecking clue about what you say with your bloody half baked knowledge.. sitting on your asses and judging people without any basis...

i got to read the actual judgment and found out that the "victim" had CONSENTED in the case.. which means (i know because i'm a lawyer) the rape accused would have had to be set free..

the poor judge has gone out of her way to impose a sentence so the victim would get compensated for her stupidity.. at the cost of being called a b*tch..

may you ill-wishers die of testicular cancer.. or ovarian cancer, as the case may be..

My my.. we have a new hot burning coal on our hands !!

Welcome to eCharcha.com. I am amazed that you registered just for the sake of this thread and to let us know how much we know and how wrong we are.

The newspaper story did not publish all the details which you seem to have read and since you are a "lawyer" you understand better than us.

Some questions though as you would know this better than us non-lawyer half baked types

- How is rape consensual?
- I mean does the rapist start the rape and the victim then gives consent?
- Can it be possible that the victim later agreed to change statement to 'consent' owing to societal and other compulsions/itimidations?
-If this was not a rape then why did the judge even hand down a sentence?
- Why has the judge been so lenient in some past cases?
- If anyone feels disgust at rape and then gets angry that a judge - according to the news story - handed a ridiculuously light sentence for a heinous crime like rape, then is this disgust and anger 'half baked' ?
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

I read the judge was transferred from sessions court to some other court...because of her lenient decisions on rape cases..
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean
I read the judge was transferred from sessions court to some other court...because of her lenient decisions on rape cases..
"Her"?! Thats a surprise man!

Did any one notice id of the new "Indian and well informed" memeber? its lawgirl707! Is that the judge herself, may be pissed off by the anger from public, lashing out here

lawgirl707, welcome judge sahiba..or vakil sahiba or whoever you are.
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
My my.. we have a new hot burning coal on our hands !!

Welcome to eCharcha.com. I am amazed that you registered just for the sake of this thread and to let us know how much we know and how wrong we are.

The newspaper story did not publish all the details which you seem to have read and since you are a "lawyer" you understand better than us.

Some questions though as you would know this better than us non-lawyer half baked types

- How is rape consensual?
- I mean does the rapist start the rape and the victim then gives consent?
- Can it be possible that the victim later agreed to change statement to 'consent' owing to societal and other compulsions/itimidations?
-If this was not a rape then why did the judge even hand down a sentence?
- Why has the judge been so lenient in some past cases?
- If anyone feels disgust at rape and then gets angry that a judge - according to the news story - handed a ridiculuously light sentence for a heinous crime like rape, then is this disgust and anger 'half baked' ?
Wah kya swaalat puchhe hai charcha pai ne eCharcha ki adalat mein jahan reader judge hai ek point meri aur se bhi. News report says "The subsequent medical examination proved that the victim’s age was somewhere between "14 and 15 years". How can sex with a 15 year old be consensual?

vakilsahiba, your witness (well witness to koi hain nahi idhar par line suit hoti hai).

Last edited by tapasvi; August 20th, 2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old August 20th, 2005, 07:07 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgirl707

Hello Ma'am, my bad that the judge was just called a b*tch. i should have used a more abusive word! because

Quote:
MUMBAI: Five days ago, sessions court judge Laxmi Rao convicted a man to seven years’ rigorous imprisonment for raping and kidnapping a minor but released him on probation after 45 days in custody. On Thursday, Judge Rao did it again. Suresh Vanse, a resident of Matibai Chawl in Borivli, was pronounced guilty of raping a 14-year-old girl but sentenced to imprisonment “till the rising of the court’’-or, effectively, for just one day.
you forgot to see that it was a 14-yr old Minor. In india, sex with a minor is construted as rape. i thought u being a lawyer knew that unless u went to some f*cked up law school or maybe u got a fake degree or u might just be fake.

In any case welcome to echarcha!

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Hello Ma'am, my bad that the judge was just called a b*tch. i should have used a more abusive word! because

you forgot to see that it was a 14-yr old Minor. In india, sex with a minor is construted as rape. i thought u being a lawyer knew that unless u went to some f*cked up law school or maybe u got a fake degree or u might just be fake.

In any case welcome to echarcha!
Now now ramesh! lawgirl has joined echarcha and right away 'adjudicated' that we are folks with half baked knowledge and dont know jack! So you see, she is a learned 'lawyer' types and hence how can you argue unless you are 'completely baked'

lawgirl read the court reports and decision or whatver legal paper she said, which we have not read. So you see she knows it all, like '14 or 15' is not a minor